Rodrigo B Cavalcanti
Affiliation: University of Toronto
- A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of rosiglitazone for HIV-related lipoatrophyRodrigo B Cavalcanti
Department of Medicine and McLaughlin Rotman Centre, University Health Network, Toronto, ON, M5T 2S8, Canada
J Infect Dis 195:1754-61. 2007..Thiazolidinediones such as rosiglitazone may have benefit in ameliorating human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) lipoatrophy...
- Publishing history does not correlate with clinical performance among internal medicine residentsRodrigo B Cavalcanti
Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital, and University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Med Educ 44:468-74. 2010..Further research is needed to identify predictors and measures of performance in scholarly activities...
- The biasing effect of clinical history on physical examination diagnostic accuracyMatthew Sibbald
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Med Educ 45:827-34. 2011..However, it is unclear whether clinicians adhere to these early hypotheses in the face of unexpected physical findings, thus resulting in diagnostic error...
- Should we teach using schemas? Evidence from a randomised trialSarah Blissett
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Med Educ 46:815-22. 2012..The effects of schema-based instruction on diagnostic accuracy and knowledge organisation have not been rigorously tested...
- Competencies "plus": the nature of written comments on internal medicine residents' evaluation formsShiphra Ginsburg
Mount Sinai Hospital, 433 600 University Ave, Toronto, ON
Acad Med 86:S30-4. 2011..However, little is known about the nature of comments written by internal medicine faculty on residents' ITERs...
- Instruction using a high-fidelity cardiopulmonary simulator improves examination skills and resource allocation in family medicine traineesDavid W Frost
Herbert Ho Ping Kong Centre of Excellence in Education and Practice, Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Simul Healthc 6:278-83. 2011..High-fidelity cardiopulmonary simulators have proven promising in various areas of medical education but have yet to be studied in Family Medicine training...
- Reproducibility of DXA estimations of body fat in HIV lipodystrophy: implications for clinical researchRodrigo B Cavalcanti
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, and Division of General Internal Medicine, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Densitom 8:293-7. 2005..Minimal detectable differences were smaller than differences observed in published studies for all measurements. DXA is a sensitive tool for detecting changes in peripheral fat among patients with HIV lipodystrophy...
- Teaching dermatology to internal medicine residents: needs assessment survey and possible directionsAaron M Drucker
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
J Cutan Med Surg 17:39-45. 2013..No study to date has assessed the needs of internal medicine trainees in Canada with regard to dermatology teaching...
- Morning report blog: a web-based tool to enhance case-based learningIsaac I Bogoch
Herbert Ho Ping Kong Centre of Excellence in Education and Practice, Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Teach Learn Med 24:238-41. 2012..Morning report is an interactive case-based teaching session common to internal medicine training programs across North America...
- Design and implementation of a low-cost multimodal procedure cart for an internal medicine wardDavid W Frost
Toronto Western Hospital, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Hosp Pract (1995) 39:122-7. 2011..In this article, we describe our experience developing and implementing a low-cost multimodal procedure cart in an academic health sciences center. We also provide pilot data on perceived usefulness by trainees...
- A meta-analysis of six placebo-controlled trials of thiazolidinedione therapy for HIV lipoatrophyJanet M Raboud
University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
HIV Clin Trials 11:39-50. 2010..To determine the impact of thiazolidinediones (TZD) on changes in limb fat mass in HIV-infected individuals, particularly in those not receiving a thymidine analogue...
- Role of clinical context in residents' physical examination diagnostic accuracyMatthew Sibbald
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, ON, Canada
Med Educ 45:415-21. 2011..Clinical context may act as both an aid to decision making and a source of bias contributing to medical error. The effect of clinical history, a form of clinical context, on the diagnostic accuracy of the physical examination is unknown...
- Evaluation of standardized doctor's orders as an educational tool for undergraduate medical students: a prospective cohort studyYuna Lee
St, Michael s Hospital, 4 CCW 149 30 bond st, Toronto, Ontario M5B 1W8, Canada
BMC Med Educ 13:97. 2013..The objective of the study was to evaluate the impact of standardized admission orders on disease-specific knowledge among undergraduate medical trainees...
- Do you have to re-examine to reconsider your diagnosis? Checklists and cardiac examMatthew Sibbald
Faculty of Health Professions Education, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
BMJ Qual Saf 22:333-8. 2013..This study assessed whether checklists improve cardiac exam diagnostic accuracy, and whether this benefit is dependent on collecting additional information...
- Rosiglitazone for HIV-1 lipoatrophyRodrigo B Cavalcanti
Lancet 363:1828-9; author reply 1829. 2004