Affiliation: University of Manitoba
- A systems biology examination of the human female genital tract shows compartmentalization of immune factor expressionAdam Burgener
University of Manitoba, Department of Medical Microbiology, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
J Virol 87:5141-50. 2013..This may have important implications for early events in HIV transmission and site-specific susceptibility to HIV in the FGT...
- Salivary basic proline-rich proteins are elevated in HIV-exposed seronegative men who have sex with menAdam Burgener
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
AIDS 26:1857-67. 2012..We performed proteomic analysis of saliva from a cohort of HESN MSM who have regular unprotected oral receptive intercourse with their HIV-infected partner...
- Comprehensive proteomic study identifies serpin and cystatin antiproteases as novel correlates of HIV-1 resistance in the cervicovaginal mucosa of female sex workersA Burgener
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
J Proteome Res 10:5139-49. 2011..This comprehensive systems biology approach identifies mucosal serpins and cystatins as novel correlates of HIV-1-resistance. This represents the first study characterizing these factors in the female genital tract...
- Identification of differentially expressed proteins in the cervical mucosa of HIV-1-resistant sex workersAdam Burgener
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3T 2N2
J Proteome Res 7:4446-54. 2008..Validation of these results on a larger sample of individuals will provide further evidence these biomarkers are associated with HIV-1 resistance and could help aid in the development of effective microbicides against HIV-1...
- Mucosal serpin A1 and A3 levels in HIV highly exposed sero-negative women are affected by the menstrual cycle and hormonal contraceptives but are independent of epidemiological confoundersSyeda Rahman
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Am J Reprod Immunol 69:64-72. 2013..Here, we characterized mucosal serpin expression in the genital tract of HIV highly exposed sero-negative (HESN) women meeting our epidemiological definition of HIV resistance in relation to epidemiological variables...
- Proteomics as a novel HIV immune monitoring toolDerek R Stein
University of Manitoba, Department of Medical Microbiology bImmunology, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Curr Opin HIV AIDS 8:140-6. 2013....
- Profiling cervical lavage fluid by SELDI-TOF mass spectrometryAdam Burgener
National Laboratory for HIV Immunology, Public Health Agency of Canada, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Methods Mol Biol 818:143-52. 2012..This chapter will outline detailed methods to profile cervical mucosal samples by SELDI-TOF and can serve as a guideline for other types of mucosal samples...
- Systems biology-based approaches to understand HIV-exposed uninfected womenAdam Burgener
National Laboratory for HIV Immunology, Public Health Agency of Canada, 1015 Arlington Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Curr HIV/AIDS Rep 7:53-9. 2010..Herein we report developments in discovery-based systems biology approaches in EU women and how this broadens our understanding of natural protection against HIV-1...