Karen M Benzies
Affiliation: University of Calgary
- Strengthening new fathers' skills in interaction with their 5-month-old infants: who benefits from a brief intervention?Karen Benzies
Faculty of Nursing, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Public Health Nurs 25:431-9. 2008..To determine the utility of a parenting education program for fathers of infants, and to determine which fathers benefited...
- Attributes of interdisciplinary research teams: a comprehensive review of the literatureJahan Lakhani
Royal College of Surgeons, Dublin, Ireland
Clin Invest Med 35:E226. 2012..The purpose of this literature review was to examine the attributes that are important for the effective functioning of these teams...
- UpStart parent survey: a new psychometrically valid tool for the evaluation of prevention-focused parenting programsKaren Benzies
Faculty of Nursing, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada
Matern Child Health J 17:1452-8. 2013..In its first round of psychometric evaluation, the USPS demonstrated promise as a brief, easy to administer, scientifically rigorous tool for the evaluation of prevention-focused parenting programs. ..
- Depressive symptoms among immigrant and Canadian born mothers of preterm infants at neonatal intensive care discharge: a cross sectional studyMarilyn Ballantyne
School of Nursing, Faculty of Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8S 4K1
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 13:S11. 2013....
- Key components of early intervention programs for preterm infants and their parents: a systematic review and meta-analysisKaren M Benzies
Faculty of Nursing, University of Calgary, 2500 University Drive NW, Calgary, AB T2N 1N4, Canada
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 13:S10. 2013..The aim of this review was to categorize the key components of early intervention programs and determine the direct effects of components on parents, as well as their preterm infants...
- Postpartum nurses' perceptions of barriers to screening for intimate partner violence: a cross-sectional surveyMargaret E Guillery
Faculty of Nursing, University of Calgary, 2500 University Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta T2N 1N4, Canada
BMC Nurs 11:2. 2012..abstract:..
- Gauging knowledge of developmental milestones among Albertan adults: a cross-sectional surveyShivani Rikhy
Alberta Centre for Child, Family, and Community Research, Calgary, Canada
BMC Public Health 10:183. 2010..However, little is known about what adults who interact with children under the age of 14 years know about child development...
- Maternal mental health predicts risk of developmental problems at 3 years of age: follow up of a community based trialSuzanne C Tough
Department of Paediatrics, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, T2T 5C7, Canada
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 8:16. 2008..The objective of this study was to estimate the prevalence of risk for developmental problems among preschool children born to medically low risk women and identify factors that influence outcomes...
- Maternal well-being and its association to risk of developmental problems in children at school entrySuzanne C Tough
Department of Paediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
BMC Pediatr 10:19. 2010..The primary objective of this study was to identify child and maternal factors associated with children who screened at risk of developmental problems at school entry...
- Assessing psychological well-being in mothers of children with disability: evaluation of the Parenting Morale Index and Family Impact of Childhood Disability scaleKaren M Benzies
Faculty of Nursing, University of Calgary, 2500 University Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4, Canada
J Pediatr Psychol 36:506-16. 2011..Process model of stress and coping guided psychometric assessment of two brief measures of psychological well-being: Parenting Morale Index (PMI); Family Impact of Childhood Disability (FICD) scale...
- Knowledge translation: principles and practicalities for trainees within interdisciplinary health research teamsBeverly A Collisson
Alberta Children s Hospital Research Institutefor Child and Maternal Health
Clin Invest Med 34:E336. 2011..Our commentary is based on trainee experiences within the Preterm Birth and Healthy Outcomes Team (PreHOT), an interdisciplinary research team...
- Stability and change in health-related behaviors of midlife Swedish womenKaren M Benzies
Faculty of Nursing, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Health Care Women Int 29:997-1018. 2008..After controlling for previous HRBs, we found that education, marital status, and having children at home were significant predictors of HRBs 4 years later...
- Advanced maternal age: are decisions about the timing of child-bearing a failure to understand the risks?Karen M Benzies
Faculty of Nursing, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alta
CMAJ 178:183-4. 2008
- State-of-the-evidence reviews: advantages and challenges of including grey literatureKaren M Benzies
Canadian Health Services Research Foundation, Canada
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 3:55-61. 2006..Decisions about whether to include this "grey literature" in a review are challenging and lead to many questions about whether the advantages outweigh the challenges...
- Factors influencing women's decisions about timing of motherhoodKaren Benzies
Faculty of Nursing in the University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 35:625-33. 2006..To examine the factors that influence women's decisions about the timing of motherhood from a life span perspective...
- Parenting stress, marital quality, and child behavior problems at age 7 yearsKaren M Benzies
Faculty of Nursing, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Public Health Nurs 21:111-21. 2004..Public health nurses are well positioned to assess parenting stress and marital quality and to provide support to families during the early stages of parenthood...
- Parenting and childhood behavior problems: mothers' and fathers' voicesKaren M Benzies
University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Issues Ment Health Nurs 25:9-24. 2004..Data suggest a need for timely mental health services to assist parents with managing their child's behaviors within the context of the family's situation...
- Symbolic interactionism as a theoretical perspective for multiple method researchK M Benzies
Faculty of Nursing, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Adv Nurs 33:541-7. 2001..Underlying symbolic interactionism is the major assumption that individuals act on the basis of the meaning that things have for them...
- Accentuate the positive to mitigate the negative: mother psychological coping resources and family adjustment in childhood disabilityBarry Trute
Faculty of Social Work, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4, Canada
J Intellect Dev Disabil 35:36-43. 2010....
- A comparison between late preterm and term infants on breastfeeding and maternal mental healthSheila W McDonald
Department of Paediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada
Matern Child Health J 17:1468-77. 2013..07; 95 % CI = 1.08,3.98), but not for depression, stress, or low parenting morale. LP infants and their families are a vulnerable population with unique developmental trajectories. Further longitudinal research is required. ..
- The All Our Babies pregnancy cohort: design, methods, and participant characteristicsSheila W McDonald
Department of Paediatrics, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 13:S2. 2013....
- Factors influencing childbearing decisions and knowledge of perinatal risks among Canadian men and womenSuzanne Tough
Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Room C4 301, 2888 Shaganappi Trail NW, Calgary, AB, T3B 6A8, Canada
Matern Child Health J 11:189-98. 2007..Little is known about men's and women's understanding of the maternal age related risks to pregnancy...
- What do women know about the risks of delayed childbearing?Suzanne Tough
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB
Can J Public Health 97:330-4. 2006....
- Child guardianship in a Canadian home visitation program for women who use substances in the perinatal periodRosanne M T Mills
Decision Support Research Team, Calgary Health Region, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Can J Clin Pharmacol 16:e126-39. 2009....
- Immediate and sustained effects of parenting on physical aggression in Canadian children aged 6 years and youngerKaren Benzies
Associate Professor, Faculty of Nursing, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta
Can J Psychiatry 54:55-64. 2009..To determine whether the effects of factors associated with the development of childhood (aged 6 years or younger) physical aggression were immediate (cross-sectional), sustained (longitudinal), or both...
- Women's satisfaction with their involvement in health care decisions during a high-risk pregnancyMargaret J Harrison
Faculty of Nursing, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Birth 30:109-15. 2003..Increasingly, women seek involvement in decisions about their health care. The purpose of this study was to examine women's experience of, and satisfaction with, their involvement in health care decisions during a high-risk pregnancy...