Marissa L Becker
Affiliation: University of Manitoba
- Prevalence and determinants of HIV infection in South India: a heterogeneous, rural epidemicMarissa L Becker
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
AIDS 21:739-47. 2007..To assess the prevalence and determinants of HIV infection in the general population in Bagalkot district, a largely rural district in the southern Indian state of Karnataka...
- Association between medical injections and HIV infection in a community-based study in IndiaMarissa L Becker
AIDS 19:1334-6. 2005
- Diarrheal disease among HIV-infected adults in Karnataka, India: evaluation of risk factors and etiologyMarissa L Becker
Department of Medical Microbiology, Department of Community Health Sciences, and Department of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Am J Trop Med Hyg 76:718-22. 2007..Important risk factors for diarrhea were identified. Protection by TMP/SMX reinforces the importance of prophylaxis. These data suggest that treatment with an antibiotic and anti-parasitic medication may be effective...
- The Intersection between Sex Work and Reproductive Health in Northern Karnataka, India: Identifying Gaps and Opportunities in the Context of HIV PreventionMarissa Becker
Center for Global Public Health, University of Manitoba, R070 Med Rehab Building, 771 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3E 0T6
AIDS Res Treat 2012:842576. 2012..Antenatal HIV testing remains low in the context of ongoing sex work during pregnancy. Existing HIV prevention programs are well positioned to immediately integrate reproductive health care with HIV interventions targeted to FSWs...
- Behavioural and medical predictors of bacterial vaginosis recurrence among female sex workers: longitudinal analysis from a randomized controlled trialFernand A Guédou
URESP, Centre de recherche FQRS du CHU de Québec, Departement de Medecine sociale et preventive, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada
BMC Infect Dis 13:208. 2013..Data on risk factors of recurrent bacterial vaginosis (RBV) are still scarce. We used data from female sex workers (FSW) participating in a randomized controlled microbicide trial to examine predictors of BV recurrence...
- Characterizing sexual histories of women before formal sex-work in south India from a cross-sectional survey: implications for HIV/STI preventionSharmistha Mishra
Department of Infectious Diseases Epidemiology, Imperial College London, London, UK
BMC Public Health 12:829. 2012....
- Rates and determinants of HIV-attributable mortality among rural female sex workers in Northern Karnataka, IndiaM L Becker
Centre for Global Public Health, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Int J STD AIDS 23:36-40. 2012..Despite significant efforts, there remain considerable gaps in HIV prevention near or before entry into sex work, as well as access and uptake of HIV treatment among FSWs...
- Etiology and determinants of sexually transmitted infections in Karnataka state, south IndiaMarissa Becker
Department of Medicine, University of Manitoba, 771 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Sex Transm Dis 37:159-64. 2010..We undertook this study to better understand the etiology of STIs in adults in south India and to inform STI management guidelines...
- Circumstances, experiences and processes surrounding women's entry into sex work in IndiaLeigh M McClarty
a Department of Community Health Sciences, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Cult Health Sex 16:149-63. 2014....
- Is HIV prevalence declining in southern India? Evidence from two rounds of general population surveys in Bagalkot District, KarnatakaRajaram S Potty
CHARME India Project, Bangalore, India
Sex Transm Dis 39:761-8. 2012..To assess the levels and trends in the prevalence of HIV and sexually transmitted infections in the general population in Bagalkot district using 2 cross-sectional surveys undertaken in 2003 and 2009...
- Exploring the population-level impact of antiretroviral treatment: the influence of baseline intervention contextSharmistha Mishra
aDepartment of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College London bSocial and Mathematical Epidemiology, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK cGovernment of Karnataka, Bangalore, India dSchool of Population Health, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia eUNAIDS India, New Delhi fKarnataka Health Promotion Trust, Bangalore, India gDepartment of Community Health Sciences, Centre for Global Public Health, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg hCentre de recherche du CHU de Québec, Departement de Medecine sociale et preventive, Universite Laval, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada iDivision of Infectious Diseases, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada jSt John s Medical College Research Institute, Bangalore, India
AIDS 28:S61-72. 2014..To compare the potential population-level impact of expanding antiretroviral treatment (ART) in HIV epidemics concentrated among female sex workers (FSWs) and clients, with and without existing condom-based FSW interventions...
- Lack of effectiveness of cellulose sulfate gel for the prevention of vaginal HIV transmissionLut Van Damme
CONRAD, Arlington, VA, USA
N Engl J Med 359:463-72. 2008..Women make up more than 50% of adults living with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection or the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) in sub-Saharan Africa. Thus, female-initiated HIV prevention methods are urgently needed...