Affiliation: University of Calgary
- Coronary flow velocity reserve does not correlate with TIMI frame count in patients undergoing non-emergency percutaneous coronary interventionSanjay K Chugh
Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
J Am Coll Cardiol 44:778-82. 2004..The purpose of this research was to compare the Thrombolysis In Myocardial Infarction (TIMI) frame count (CTFC) with coronary flow velocity reserve (CFVR) in patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI)...
- The effect of iron status on vascular healthLeanne M Yunker
Department of Medical Genetics, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Vasc Med 11:85-91. 2006..The present study does not support the hypothesis that mild to moderately increased iron stores are associated with enhanced atherosclerosis risk...
- Comparison of brachial and carotid artery ultrasound for assessing extent of subclinical atherosclerosis in HIV: a prospective cohort studyAdefowope Odueyungbo
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton ON, Canada
AIDS Res Ther 6:11. 2009..CONCLUSION: IMT correlates better than FMD with established cardiovascular risk factors in this cohort of HIV patients. Standardization of protocols for FMD and IMT will facilitate the comparison of results across studies...
- Effects of folinic acid on forearm blood flow in patients with end-stage renal diseaseTodd J Anderson
Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, Lubin Cardiovascular Institute of Alberta, University of Calgary, Canada
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:1927-33. 2006..While folates can improve endothelial function, their role in ESRD has not been fully studied. The objective was to determine the acute and 12 week-effect of folinic acid on endothelium-dependent vasodilation in subjects with ESRD...
- Effect of chelation therapy on endothelial function in patients with coronary artery disease: PATCH substudyTodd J Anderson
Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary and Calgary Health Region, 1403 29th Street NW, Calgary, Alberta T2N 2T9, Canada
J Am Coll Cardiol 41:420-5. 2003..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect of chelation therapy with ethylenediamine tetraacetic acid (EDTA) on endothelium-dependent vasomotor responses in patients with documented coronary artery disease (CAD)...
- The fate of endothelial function testing: rationale and design of the Firefighters And Their Endothelium (FATE) studyTodd J Anderson
Cardiovascular Division, Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Alberta
Can J Cardiol 19:61-6. 2003..Quantitative B-mode ultrasound will be employed to assess endothelial function and subclinical atherosclerosis. This research is designed to redefine the approach to the primary prevention of atherosclerosis...
- Nitric oxide, atherosclerosis and the clinical relevance of endothelial dysfunctionTodd J Anderson
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada
Heart Fail Rev 8:71-86. 2003..The review will focus on the role of nitric oxide in atherosclerosis and the clinical relevance of these findings...
- The effect of large unilamellar vesicles on vascular function in patients with coronary atherosclerosisTodd Anderson
Department of Cardiac Sciences and the Libin Cardiovascular Institute of Alberta, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Atherosclerosis 200:424-31. 2008..Unique methods of removing cholesterol from the vessel wall are being developed. The effect of LUVs on endothelial function has not been evaluated in humans...
- Relation of Basal coronary nitric oxide activity to the burden of atherosclerosisTodd J Anderson
Department of Cardiovascular Sciences and the Libin Cardiovascular Institute, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Am J Cardiol 95:1170-4. 2005..This is in contradistinction to the impairment of stimulated NO activity in the coronary circulation that characterizes atherosclerosis...
- Effects of the nitric oxide synthase inhibitor L-NMMA on cerebrovascular and cardiovascular responses to hypoxia and hypercapnia in humansKojiro Ide
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary Alberta T2N 4N1, Canada
J Physiol 584:321-32. 2007....
- Effect of cervical spine manipulation on a pre-existing vascular lesion within the canine vertebral arteryShari Wynd
University of Calgary, Calgary, Alta, Canada
Cerebrovasc Dis 26:304-9. 2008..To investigate the relation between these events, we utilized an animal model to determine if vertebral arteries with a suspected susceptibility factor (wall lesion) could be injured further by cSMT...
- Abciximab attenuates coronary microvascular endothelial dysfunction after coronary stentingEve D Aymong
Cardiovascular Division, Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Circulation 105:2981-5. 2002..The present study was designed to assess endothelium-dependent vasomotion after coronary stenting and to determine if abciximab alters this response...
- Effect of percutaneous coronary intervention of nonacute total coronary artery occlusions on QT dispersionDavid M Goodhart
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary Health Region, Alberta, Canada
Am Heart J 151:529.e1-529.e6. 2006..We sought to assess the effect of percutaneous revascularization (PCI) of TCO on QTd and the relationship between QTd and long-term vessel patency...
- Interaction of 5-methyltetrahydrofolate and tetrahydrobiopterin on endothelial functionMathew Eric Hyndman
Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 4N1
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 282:H2167-72. 2002..superoxide) production and improve endothelial function. 5-Methyltetrahydrofolate may represent an important strategy for intervention aimed at improving tetrahydrobiopterin bioavailability...
- Rationale and design of the Glitazones and the Endothelium (GATE) study: evaluation of rosiglitazone on endothelial function in patients with diabetesJaroslav Hubacek
University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Can J Cardiol 20:1449-53. 2004....
- Comparison of new measures of vascular function to flow mediated dilatation as a measure of cardiovascular risk factorsAndrew C Philpott
Libin Cardiovascular Institute, Department of Cardiac Sciences, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Am J Cardiol 103:1610-5. 2009..This may reflect greater sensitivity of these measures to detect early abnormalities associated with risk factors in a relatively young and healthy population...
- Chronic oral supplementation with sepiapterin prevents endothelial dysfunction and oxidative stress in small mesenteric arteries from diabetic (db/db) miceMalarvannan Pannirselvam
Smooth Muscle Research Group, The University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Br J Pharmacol 140:701-6. 2003..Furthermore, these results suggest that decreased biosynthesis of BH4 may not be the basis for endothelial dysfunction in SMA from db/db mice...
- Automated assessment of blood pressure using BpTRU compared with assessments by a trained technician and a clinic nurseNorm R C Campbell
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, The University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Blood Press Monit 10:257-62. 2005..To determine the accuracy and reproducibility of a new automated blood pressure manometer (BpTRU) relative to auscultatory blood pressure assessed by a research nurse and to that assessed by a clinic nurse...
- Relationship between carotid artery intima-media thickness and brachial artery flow-mediated dilation in middle-aged healthy menRaymond T Yan
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario L8L 2X2, Canada
J Am Coll Cardiol 45:1980-6. 2005..We aimed to determine the relationship between carotid intima-media thickness (IMT) and brachial artery flow-mediated dilation (FMD) in healthy middle-age men...
- Differential sensitivities of cerebral and brachial blood flow to hypercapnia in humansJimmy S Vantanajal
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, T2N 4N1 Canada
J Appl Physiol 102:87-93. 2007..2 +/- 1%/Torr; P < 0.05). Our findings confirm that Vp has a greater sensitivity than BBF in response to hypercapnia and show an adaptive response of BBF that is not evident in Vp...
- Effects of tetrahydrobiopterin on coronary vascular reactivity in atherosclerotic human coronary arteriesMatthew I Worthley
Department of Cardiac Sciences and Libin Cardiovascular Institute of Alberta, University of Calgary, Calgary AB, Canada
Cardiovasc Res 76:539-46. 2007..This study was designed to evaluate the effects of intracoronary BH4 in human coronary arteries with non-critical coronary artery disease or following percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI)...
- Fundamentals of endothelial function for the clinical cardiologistSubodh Verma
Division of Cardiac Surgery, University of Toronto, University of Calgary, Canada
Circulation 105:546-9. 2002
- Catalase has negligible inhibitory effects on endothelium-dependent relaxations in mouse isolated aorta and small mesenteric arteryAnthie Ellis
Smooth Muscle Research Group, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Dr NW, Calgary, AB, Canada T2N 4N1
Br J Pharmacol 140:1193-200. 2003..6. Although the data from this study show that H2O2 dilates vessels, they do not support the notion that H2O2 mediates endothelium-dependent relaxations to ACh in either aorta or SMA from mice...
- Prognostic implication of hyperglycemia in myocardial infarction and primary angioplastyMatthew I Worthley
Foothills Interventional Cardiology Service, Department of Cardiovascular Sciences and the Libin Cardiovascular Institute, Calgary, Alberta
Am J Med 120:643.e1-7. 2007..The study assessed the relationship of admission blood glucose level to in-hospital mortality in patients presenting with an ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction and treated with primary angioplasty...
- Defining the effect of cervical manipulation on vertebral artery integrity: establishment of an animal modelGregory N Kawchuk
Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Alberta, Alberta, Canada
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 27:539-46. 2004..To explore this relation, an experimental platform is needed that is accessible and biologically responsive...
- Risk prediction in cardiovascular disease: the prognostic significance of endothelial dysfunctionBillie Jean Martin
Department of Cardiac Sciences and Libin Cardiovascular Institute, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta
Can J Cardiol 25:15A-20A. 2009..However, while it has demonstrated some utility in risk prediction, its use in daily clinical practice is yet to be clearly defined. The present review assesses the prognostic significance of measures of endothelial function...
- A nonthiazolidinedione peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma agonist reverses endothelial dysfunction in diabetic (db/db-/-) miceAndrew G Howarth
Smooth Muscle Research Group, Rm 82A, HMRB, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, CanadaT2N 4N1
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 316:364-70. 2006..In contrast, nonhyperglycemic ob/ob mice exhibited normal vasodilatory responses to acetylcholine and, consequently, COOH treatment had no effect on endothelial function...
- Evidence of endothelial dysfunction in patients with inflammatory bowel diseaseIdan Roifman
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 7:175-82. 2009..The purpose of our study was to assess endothelial function in patients with IBD...
- Contrast echocardiography accurately predicts myocardial perfusion before angiography during acute myocardial infarctionGregory B Schnell
Department of Cardiac Sciences and Libin Cardiovascular Institute, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Can J Cardiol 23:1043-8. 2007..To determine whether myocardial contrast echocardiography (MCE) can quickly and accurately assess myocardial perfusion and infarct-related artery (IRA) patency before emergency angiography during acute myocardial infarction (AMI)...
- Prognostic implications of C-reactive protein and troponin following percutaneous coronary interventionJaroslav Hubacek
Department of Cardiovascular Sciences and Libin Cardiovascular Institute, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta
Can J Cardiol 25:e42-7. 2009..In addition, the long-term significance of TnT rise following PCI is not clear...
- Modulation of arterial reactivity using amlodipine and atorvastatin measured by ultrasound examination (MARGAUX)Francois Charbonneau
Department of Cardiovascular Sciences and the Libin Cardiovascular Institute, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada
Atherosclerosis 197:420-7. 2008..To evaluate the effect of the calcium channel blocker amlodipine on endothelial function in normotensive patients with coronary disease taking concomitant atorvastatin therapy...
- The endothelium in health and disease: a discussion of the contribution of non-nitric oxide endothelium-derived vasoactive mediators to vascular homeostasis in normal vessels and in type II diabetesChris R Triggle
Smooth Muscle Research Group, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Mol Cell Biochem 263:21-7. 2004..Here we briefly review the current status of EDHF and the link between EDHF and endothelial dysfunction associated with diabetes...
- Registry data evaluating the effectiveness of drug-eluting stents for the treatment of symptomatic in-stent restenosisMatthew I Worthley
Foothills Interventional Cardiology Service, Department of Cardiovascular Sciences and the Libin Cardiovascular Institute, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Heart Lung Circ 15:300-5. 2006..The objective of this registry database was to evaluate the 'real-world' effectiveness of DES for the treatment of symptomatic bare-metal stent ISR...
- Cellular basis of endothelial dysfunction in small mesenteric arteries from spontaneously diabetic (db/db -/-) mice: role of decreased tetrahydrobiopterin bioavailabilityMalarvannan Pannirselvam
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics and Smooth Muscle Research Group, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta T2N 4N1, Canada
Br J Pharmacol 136:255-63. 2002..8. These data suggest that increased production of superoxide anions and decreased availability of BH(4) result in an 'uncoupling' of nitric oxide synthase and endothelial dysfunction in SMA from db/db -/- mice...
- Sedentary lifestyle and antecedents of cardiovascular disease in young adultsJonathan M McGavock
Division of Endocrinology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Am J Hypertens 19:701-7. 2006..The aim of this study was to determine whether sedentary young individuals are characterized by reductions in determinants of vascular health and insulin sensitivity relative to their physically active, age-matched peers...
- New markers of inflammation and endothelial cell activation: Part IPaul E Szmitko
Division of Cardiology, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Circulation 108:1917-23. 2003
- Effects of left ventricular contractility and coronary vascular resistance on coronary dynamicsYi Hui Sun
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary Health Sciences Centre, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 4N1
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 286:H1590-5. 2004..I(W-) was proportional to the CSFI. We conclude that contractility and coronary resistance change CSFI by modulating the backward-going compression wave...
- The endothelium in health and disease--a target for therapeutic interventionChris R Triggle
Smooth Muscle Research Group, Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 4N1
J Smooth Muscle Res 39:249-67. 2003....
- The T-786-->C mutation in endothelial nitric oxide synthase is associated with hypertensionMatthew E Hyndman
University of Calgary Department of Medicine, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hypertension 39:919-22. 2002..16(95% confidence interval, 1.3 to 3.7) more likely to be hypertensive. Therefore, the -786 C/C genotype in NO synthase is a significant contributing factor for increasing the risk of essential hypertension...
- Guidelines for the ultrasound assessment of endothelial-dependent flow-mediated vasodilation of the brachial artery: a report of the International Brachial Artery Reactivity Task ForceMary C Corretti
Division of Cardiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205 1595, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 39:257-65. 2002....
- Reactive hyperemia and cardiovascular riskAndrew Philpott
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 27:2065-7. 2007
- Endothelin blockade potentiates endothelial protective effects of ACE inhibitors in saphenous veinsLawrence Ko
Division of Cardiac Surgery, The University of Toronto, Toronto General Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Ann Thorac Surg 73:1185-8. 2002..The effects of acute endothelin antagonism on endothelial function in saphenous vein from patients treated with and without angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors were compared...
- Prognostic significance of brachial flow-mediated vasodilationTodd J Anderson
Circulation 115:2373-5. 2007
- Cross-sectional evaluation of brachial artery flow-mediated vasodilation and C-reactive protein in healthy individualsSubodh Verma
Division of Cardiac Surgery, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Eur Heart J 25:1754-60. 2004..The present study was designed to (a) examine the interrelationship between endothelial function and CRP in healthy individuals and (b) evaluate the relationship of each biomarker towards global Framingham risk scores...
- Pharmacological characteristics of endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor-mediated relaxation of small mesenteric arteries from db/db miceMalarvannan Pannirselvam
The Heart and Stroke Richard Lewar Center of Excellence in Cardiovascular Research, University of Toronto, Canada
Eur J Pharmacol 551:98-107. 2006....
- Effects of the acyl coenzyme A:cholesterol acyltransferase inhibitor avasimibe on human atherosclerotic lesionsJean Claude Tardif
Montreal Heart Institute, 5000 Belanger St, Montreal, H1T 1C8, Canada
Circulation 110:3372-7. 2004..The ACAT inhibitor avasimibe was shown to reduce experimental atherosclerosis. This study was designed to investigate the effects of avasimibe on human coronary atherosclerosis...
- Endothelial function: ready for prime time?Subodh Verma
Division of Cardiac Surgery, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Can J Cardiol 20:1335-9. 2004....
- Endothelial function testing as a biomarker of vascular diseaseSubodh Verma
Department of Cardiac Surgery, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Circulation 108:2054-9. 2003
- The vascular endothelium in diabetes: a practical target for drug treatment?Karen L Andrews
RMIT University, Microvascular Biology Group, School of Medical Sciences, Bundoora, Victoria 3083, Australia
Expert Opin Ther Targets 9:101-17. 2005....
- Endothelial dysfunction in Type 2 diabetes correlates with deregulated expression of the tail-anchored membrane protein SLMAPHong Ding
School of Medical Sciences, RMIT Univ, Bundoora West Campus, Bundoora, Victoria 3083, Australia
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 289:H206-11. 2005..Thus changes in SLMAP expression may be an important indicator for microvascular disease associated with Type 2 diabetes...
- The relationship between soluble CD40 ligand levels and Framingham coronary heart disease risk score in healthy volunteersSubodh Verma
Division of Cardiac Surgery, Toronto General Hospital, 14 EN 215, 200 Elizabeth Street, Toronto, Ont, Canada M5G 2C4
Atherosclerosis 182:361-5. 2005..Long-term follow-up of the FATE study will shed light on whether the predictive value of sCD40L is independent of Framingham based global risk assessment...
- Arterial stiffness or endothelial dysfunction as a surrogate marker of vascular riskTodd J Anderson
Department of Cardiovascular Sciences and Libin Cardiovascular Institute of Alberta, University of Alberta, Calgary region ca
Can J Cardiol 22:72B-80B. 2006..While not yet routinely used for clinical care, these measurements provide important insights into the pathophysiology and treatment of atherosclerosis...
- Transient left ventricular apical ballooning syndrome following a hyponatraemic seizureMatthew I Worthley
Int J Cardiol 115:e102-4. 2007
- The Canadian Association of Interventional Cardiology and the Canadian Cardiovascular Society joint statement on drug-eluting stentsMachael P Love
Division of Cardiology, Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Can J Cardiol 23:121-3. 2007..The purpose of the present statement is to summarize the available evidence relating to DES thrombosis and to provide practical recommendations regarding DES use and antiplatelet therapy...
- Biomarkers of vascular disease linking inflammation to endothelial activation: Part IIPaul E Szmitko
Division of Cardiac Surgery, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2C4
Circulation 108:2041-8. 2003