Margarete K Akens
Affiliation: University of Toronto
- Influence of species and anatomical location on chondrocyte expansionMargarete K Akens
Dept of Clinical Studies, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, N1G 2W1, Canada
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 6:23. 2005..The aim of this investigation was to study the effect of species, anatomical location and exogenous growth factors on chondrocyte proliferation in vitro...
- Photodynamic therapy of vertebral metastases: evaluating tumor-to-neural tissue uptake of BPD-MA and ALA-PpIX in a murine model of metastatic human breast carcinomaMargarete K Akens
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Photochem Photobiol 83:1034-9. 2007..The highest ratio for BPD-MA concentration was found 15 min after injection, which can be recommended for therapy in this model...
- Beyond bisphosphonates: photodynamic therapy structurally augments metastatically involved vertebrae and destroys tumor tissueEmily Won
Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Room UB 19, 2075 Bayview Ave, Toronto, ON M4N 3M5, Canada
Breast Cancer Res Treat 124:111-9. 2010..Overall, the ability of PDT to both ablate malignant tissue and improve the structural integrity of vertebral bone motivates its consideration as a local minimally invasive treatment for spinal metastasis secondary to breast cancer...
- Beyond radiation therapy: photodynamic therapy maintains structural integrity of irradiated healthy and metastatically involved vertebrae in a pre-clinical in vivo modelVictor C K Lo
Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Sunnybrook Research Institute, UB 55, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, ON M4N 3M5, Canada
Breast Cancer Res Treat 135:391-401. 2012....
- Non-destructive evaluation of the effects of combined bisphosphonate and photodynamic therapy on bone strain in metastatic vertebrae using image registrationSeyed Parsa Hojjat
Orthopedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada
Ann Biomed Eng 39:2816-22. 2011..This study demonstrates the application of non-destructive image analysis to quantify the positive mechanical effects of combined BP + PDT treatment in the metastatic spine...
- Defining the therapeutic window of vertebral photodynamic therapy in a murine pre-clinical model of breast cancer metastasis using the photosensitizer BPD-MA (Verteporfin)Margarete K Akens
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Sunnybrook Health Science Centre, Room E2 44, 2075 Bayview Ave, Toronto, ON M4N 3M5, Canada
Breast Cancer Res Treat 119:325-33. 2010..Overall, PDT represents an exciting potential new minimally-invasive local, safe and effective therapy in the management of patients with spinal metastases...
- Effects of photodynamic therapy on the structural integrity of vertebral boneEmily Won
Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Division of Orthopaedics, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:272-7. 2010..This study investigates the effects of photodynamic therapy (PDT) on the structural integrity of vertebral bone in healthy rats...
- Quantification of the effect of osteolytic metastases on bone strain within whole vertebrae using image registrationMichael R Hardisty
Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, 2075 Bayview Ave, Room UB 19, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Orthop Res 30:1032-9. 2012....
- Evaluating the effects of mixed osteolytic/osteoblastic metastasis on vertebral bone quality in a new rat modelLisa Wise-Milestone
Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Sunnybrook Research Institute, UB 19, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M4N 3M5
J Orthop Res 30:817-23. 2012..Bone quality resulting from these lesions consisted of decreased structural properties, but without a significant impact on mechanical integrity...
- Biodistribution and pharmacokinetic studies of a porphyrin dimer photosensitizer (oxdime) by fluorescence imaging and spectroscopy in mice bearing xenograft tumorsMamta Khurana
Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto Ontario Cancer Institute, Toronto, ON Chemistry Research Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, Oxford University, Oxford OX1 3TA, UK Sunnybrook Research Institute, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
Photochem Photobiol 88:1531-8. 2012..Significant quantities accumulated in the tumor, indicating that this PDT sensitizer may be promising for cancer treatment...
- Evaluation of thiol-modified hyaluronan and elastin-like polypeptide composite augmentation in early-stage disc degeneration: comparing 2 minimally invasive techniquesAshley E Leckie
Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Advanced Regenerative Tissue Engineering Centre, Sunnybrook Research Institute, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 37:E1296-303. 2012..An in vitro biomechanical and imaging study generated from an in vivo porcine model of early stage degenerative disc disease was used to evaluate mechanical property restoration, comparing 2 minimally invasive injection techniques...
- Hierarchical model of fibrillar collagen organization for interpreting the second-order susceptibility tensors in biological tissueAdam E Tuer
Department of Physics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Biophys J 103:2093-105. 2012..From the P-SHG parameters of vertebrae tissue, a three-dimensional reconstruction of lamellae of intervertebral disk is presented...
- Assessment of photobleaching during endoscopic autofluorescence imaging of the lower GI tractAlexandre Douplik
Ontario Cancer Institute, Princess Margaret Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, ON, Canada
Lasers Surg Med 42:224-31. 2010....
- In vitro and in vivo evaluation of ferric-hyaluronate implants for delivery of amikacin sulfate to the tarsocrural joint of horsesNicola C Cribb
Department of Clinical Studies, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada
Vet Surg 38:498-505. 2009..To assess the antimicrobial elution characteristics, toxicity, and antimicrobial activity of amikacin-impregnated ferric-hyaluronate implants (AI-FeHAI) for amikacin delivery to the tarsocrural joint of horses...
- In vivo study of the inflammatory modulating effects of low-level laser therapy on iNOS expression using bioluminescence imagingYumi Moriyama
Ontario Cancer Institute, Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Photochem Photobiol 81:1351-5. 2005..Histological analysis was also performed and demonstrated the presence of fewer inflammatory cells in the synovial joints of mice irradiated with 635 nm compared with nonirradiated knee joints...
- An experimental animal model of aseptic loosening of hip prostheses in sheep to study early biochemical changes at the interface membraneAlexander O El-Warrak
Musculoskeletal Research Unit, Dept of Veterinary Surgery, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstr, 260, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 5:7. 2004....