Margarete K Akens
Affiliation: University of Toronto
- Defining the therapeutic window of vertebral photodynamic therapy in a murine pre-clinical model of breast cancer metastasis using the photosensitizer BPD-MA (Verteporfin)Margarete K Akens
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Sunnybrook Health Science Centre, Room E2 44, 2075 Bayview Ave, Toronto, ON M4N 3M5, Canada
Breast Cancer Res Treat 119:325-33. 2010..Overall, PDT represents an exciting potential new minimally-invasive local, safe and effective therapy in the management of patients with spinal metastases...
- Beyond bisphosphonates: photodynamic therapy structurally augments metastatically involved vertebrae and destroys tumor tissueEmily Won
Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Room UB 19, 2075 Bayview Ave, Toronto, ON M4N 3M5, Canada
Breast Cancer Res Treat 124:111-9. 2010..Overall, the ability of PDT to both ablate malignant tissue and improve the structural integrity of vertebral bone motivates its consideration as a local minimally invasive treatment for spinal metastasis secondary to breast cancer...
- Beyond radiation therapy: photodynamic therapy maintains structural integrity of irradiated healthy and metastatically involved vertebrae in a pre-clinical in vivo modelVictor C K Lo
Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Sunnybrook Research Institute, UB 55, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, ON M4N 3M5, Canada
Breast Cancer Res Treat 135:391-401. 2012....
- Non-destructive evaluation of the effects of combined bisphosphonate and photodynamic therapy on bone strain in metastatic vertebrae using image registrationSeyed Parsa Hojjat
Orthopedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada
Ann Biomed Eng 39:2816-22. 2011..This study demonstrates the application of non-destructive image analysis to quantify the positive mechanical effects of combined BP + PDT treatment in the metastatic spine...
- Effects of photodynamic therapy on the structural integrity of vertebral boneEmily Won
Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Division of Orthopaedics, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:272-7. 2010..This study investigates the effects of photodynamic therapy (PDT) on the structural integrity of vertebral bone in healthy rats...
- Quantification of the effect of osteolytic metastases on bone strain within whole vertebrae using image registrationMichael R Hardisty
Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, 2075 Bayview Ave, Room UB 19, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Orthop Res 30:1032-9. 2012....
- Photodynamic therapy of vertebral metastases: evaluating tumor-to-neural tissue uptake of BPD-MA and ALA-PpIX in a murine model of metastatic human breast carcinomaMargarete K Akens
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Photochem Photobiol 83:1034-9. 2007..The highest ratio for BPD-MA concentration was found 15 min after injection, which can be recommended for therapy in this model...
- The benefits of photodynamic therapy on vertebral bone are maintained and enhanced by combination treatment with bisphosphonates and radiation therapyVictor C K Lo
Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Sunnybrook Research Institute, UB 55, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M4N 3M5, Canada
J Orthop Res 31:1398-405. 2013..Overall, multimodality treatment demonstrated a sustained positive effect on vertebral structural integrity, motivating PDT as a minimally-invasive adjuvant treatment for spinal metastases...
- Evaluation of thiol-modified hyaluronan and elastin-like polypeptide composite augmentation in early-stage disc degeneration: comparing 2 minimally invasive techniquesAshley E Leckie
Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Advanced Regenerative Tissue Engineering Centre, Sunnybrook Research Institute, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 37:E1296-303. 2012..An in vitro biomechanical and imaging study generated from an in vivo porcine model of early stage degenerative disc disease was used to evaluate mechanical property restoration, comparing 2 minimally invasive injection techniques...
- Hierarchical model of fibrillar collagen organization for interpreting the second-order susceptibility tensors in biological tissueAdam E Tuer
Department of Physics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Biophys J 103:2093-105. 2012..From the P-SHG parameters of vertebrae tissue, a three-dimensional reconstruction of lamellae of intervertebral disk is presented...
- Assessment of photobleaching during endoscopic autofluorescence imaging of the lower GI tractAlexandre Douplik
Ontario Cancer Institute, Princess Margaret Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, ON, Canada
Lasers Surg Med 42:224-31. 2010....
- Biodistribution and pharmacokinetic studies of a porphyrin dimer photosensitizer (oxdime) by fluorescence imaging and spectroscopy in mice bearing xenograft tumorsMamta Khurana
Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto Ontario Cancer Institute, Toronto, ON Chemistry Research Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, Oxford University, Oxford OX1 3TA, UK Sunnybrook Research Institute, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
Photochem Photobiol 88:1531-8. 2012..Significant quantities accumulated in the tumor, indicating that this PDT sensitizer may be promising for cancer treatment...