Philip N Ainslie
Affiliation: University of British Columbia
- Influence of sympathoexcitation at high altitude on cerebrovascular function and ventilatory control in humansP N Ainslie
Dept of Human Kinetics, School of Health and Exercise Sciences, University of British Columbia, Kelowna, BC, Canada
J Appl Physiol 113:1058-67. 2012..These findings have implications for our understanding of CBF function in the context of pathologies associated with sympathoexcitation and hypoxemia...
- The effect of Ventricular Assist Devices on cerebral autoregulation: A preliminary studyJudith Bellapart
Department of Intensive Care, Royal Brisbane and Women s Hospital, Butterfield Street, Herston 4029, QLD, Australia
BMC Anesthesiol 11:4. 2011..abstract:..
- Regulation of cerebral blood flow in mammals during chronic hypoxia: a matter of balancePhilip N Ainslie
Department of Human Kinetics, Faculty of Health and Social Development, University of British Columbia Okanagan, Kelowna V1V 1V7, Canada
Exp Physiol 95:251-62. 2010..The associated implications of these hypoxia-induced integrative alterations for the regulation of CBF are discussed, and future avenues for research are proposed...
- Initial orthostatic hypotension and cerebral blood flow regulation: effect of α1-adrenoreceptor activityNia C S Lewis
Centre for Heart, Lung and Vascular Health, School of Health and Exercise Sciences, Development, University of British Columbia, Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 304:R147-54. 2013..Although the development of IOH is not influenced by the α(1)-adrenergic receptor pathway, this pathway is critical in the recovery from IOH to prevent cerebral hypoperfusion and ultimately syncope...
- Cerebrovascular reactivity and dynamic autoregulation in tetraplegiaLuke C Wilson
Department of Physiology, University of British Columbia Okanagan, Kelowna, BC V1X, Canada
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 298:R1035-42. 2010..Changes are evident in coherence at baseline and MCAv PI during baseline and hypercapnic states in chronic Tetra, which may be indicative of cerebrovascular adaptation...
- Influence of posture on the regulation of cerebral perfusionJinelle C Geinas
School of Health and Exercises Sciences, Faculty of Health and Social Development, University of British Columbia, Okanagan Campus, BC, Canada
Aviat Space Environ Med 83:751-7. 2012..Posture has a major influence on cerebral blood flow (CBF). Unlike head-up tilt (HUT), less is known about how CBF is regulated during head-down tilt (HDT). We hypothesized that CBF would be elevated during HDT and decreased during HUT...
- Regional changes in brain blood flow during severe passive hyperthermia: effects of PaCO2 and extracranial blood flowAnthony R Bain
Center for Heart, Lung, and Vascular Health, University of British Columbia, Okanagan, British Columbia, Canada
J Appl Physiol 115:653-9. 2013....
- The effect of time-of-day and sympathetic α1-blockade on orthostatic toleranceNina C S Lewis
School of Health and Exercise Sciences, Faculty of Health and Social Development, University of British Columbia, Okanagan Campus, Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Chronobiol Int 29:882-90. 2012..04). These findings highlight an important role of α(1)-sympathetic vasoconstrictor activity in acutely regulating blood pressure and offsetting syncope, especially in the early morning...
- Influence of age on syncope following prolonged exercise: differential responses but similar orthostatic intoleranceCarissa Murrell
Department of Human Kinetics, University of British Columbia Okanagan, Kelowna, Canada
J Physiol 587:5959-69. 2009..The similar MCAv at pre-syncope indicates there is an age-independent critical cerebral blood flow threshold at which syncope occurs...
- Influence of changes in blood pressure on cerebral perfusion and oxygenationSamuel J E Lucas
Department of Physiology, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Hypertension 55:698-705. 2010..Thus, a finite slope of the plateau region does not necessarily imply a defective CA. Moreover, with progressive hypotension and hypertension there are differential changes in cerebral oxygenation and MCAv(mean)...
- Influence of indomethacin on ventilatory and cerebrovascular responsiveness to CO2 and breathing stability: the influence of PCO2 gradientsJui Lin Fan
Department of Physiology, Otago School of Medical Science, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 298:R1648-58. 2010....