Affiliation: University of Calgary
- Novel model of constrictive pericarditis associated with autoimmune heart disease in interferon-gamma-knockout miceMarina Afanasyeva
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins Medical Intitutions, Baltimore, MD, USA
Circulation 110:2910-7. 2004..Constrictive pericarditis represents a serious hemodynamic syndrome that may lead to heart failure. Studies of its pathophysiological mechanisms have been impeded by the lack of an animal model...
- Interleukin-13 protects against experimental autoimmune myocarditis by regulating macrophage differentiationDaniela Cihakova
Johns Hopkins University, Department of Pathology, Division of Immunology, Ross 648, 720 Rutland Ave, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Am J Pathol 172:1195-208. 2008..IL-13 KO mice had increased caspase-1 activation, leading to increased production of both IL-1beta and IL-18. Therefore, IL-13 protects against myocarditis by modulating monocyte/macrophage populations and by regulating their function...
- Impaired up-regulation of CD25 on CD4+ T cells in IFN-gamma knockout mice is associated with progression of myocarditis to heart failureMarina Afanasyeva
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, 720 Rutland Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:180-5. 2005..An exaggerated inflammatory response in IFN-gamma KO mice causes cardiac dysfunction, leading to dilated cardiomyopathy and heart failure...
- Quantitative analysis of myocardial inflammation by flow cytometry in murine autoimmune myocarditis: correlation with cardiac functionMarina Afanasyeva
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Pathol 164:807-15. 2004....
- Animal models for autoimmune myocarditis and autoimmune thyroiditisDaniela Cihakova
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD, USA
Methods Mol Med 102:175-93. 2004..H2h4 mice. These mice express the H-2A(k) allele on an NOD genetic background and develop spontaneous thyroiditis, which is exacerbated with dietary iodine...
- Thyroid-specific expression of IFN-gamma limits experimental autoimmune thyroiditis by suppressing lymphocyte activation in cervical lymph nodesJobert G Barin
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Immunol 170:5523-9. 2003..The study supports a disease-limiting role of IFN-gamma in autoimmune thyroiditis. Furthermore, it provides the first evidence that local IFN-gamma activity in the thyroid is sufficient for disease suppression...
- Cutting edge: a critical role for IL-10 in induction of nasal tolerance in experimental autoimmune myocarditisZiya Kaya
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Immunol 168:1552-6. 2002..This study implicates IL-10 in the induction of nasal tolerance and in limiting inflammation later during the disease process...
- Cardiomyopathy is linked to complement activationMarina Afanasyeva
W Harry Feinstone Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Pathol 161:351-7. 2002
- Autoimmune myocarditis: cellular mediators of cardiac dysfunctionMarina Afanasyeva
Cardiovascular Research Group, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Canada
Autoimmun Rev 3:476-86. 2004..EAM provides insights into the role of the immune system in the development of dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) and heart failure and may serve as a general paradigm for autoimmune organ-specific tissue damage...
- Conductance catheter-based assessment of arterial input impedance, arterial function, and ventricular-vascular interaction in micePatrick Segers
Hydraulics Laboratory, Institute Biomedical Technology, Ghent University, Gent, Belgium
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 288:H1157-64. 2005..We obtained an anticipated response of Z(in) and arterial function parameters following VCO and AOO, demonstrating the sensitivity of the measuring technique to induced physiological alterations in murine hemodynamics...