Genomes and Genes
M James Phillips
Affiliation: The Hospital for Sick Children
- Altered expression of genes involved in hepatic morphogenesis and fibrogenesis are identified by cDNA microarray analysis in biliary atresiaLimin Chen
Banting and Best Department of Medical Research, Faculty of Medicine, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hepatology 38:567-76. 2003..In conclusion, this study serves to delineate processes that are involved in the pathogenesis of BA...
- Abnormalities in villin gene expression and canalicular microvillus structure in progressive cholestatic liver disease of childhoodM James Phillips
Department of Multi organ Transplantation Research, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network, ON, Toronto, Canada
Lancet 362:1112-9. 2003..We aimed to investigate the role of canalicular cytoskeletal proteins in three genetically unrelated children with a biliary atresia-like clinical disorder, each of whom developed liver failure requiring liver transplantation...
- Cytokine-induced hepatic apoptosis is dependent on FGL2/fibroleukin: the role of Sp1/Sp3 and STAT1/PU.1 composite cis elementsMingfeng Liu
Multi Organ Transplant Program, Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Immunol 176:7028-38. 2006..Overall, this study demonstrates that IFN-gamma and TNF-alpha induce hepatocyte apoptosis in vivo, which is dependent on induction of fgl2, and defines the molecular basis of transcription of fgl2 in vitro...
- Endothelial induction of fgl2 contributes to thrombosis during acute vascular xenograft rejectionAnand Ghanekar
Multi Organ Transplant Program, Institute of Medical Science, and Department of Surgery, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Immunol 172:5693-701. 2004..Manipulation of fgl2, in combination with other interventions, may yield novel strategies by which to overcome AVR and extend xenograft survival...
- Inhibition of graft-versus-host disease by double-negative regulatory T cellsKevin J Young
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, Multi Organ Transplantation Program, Toronto General Research Institute, University Health Network, and Department of Immunology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
J Immunol 171:134-41. 2003..This finding indicates that using single class I locus-mismatched grafts may be a viable alternative to using fully matched grafts in bone marrow transplantation...
- Murine hepatitis virus strain 1 produces a clinically relevant model of severe acute respiratory syndrome in A/J miceNadine De Albuquerque
Toronto General Hospital, 585 University Ave, NCSB 11 1236, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2N2, Canada
J Virol 80:10382-94. 2006..This study describes a potentially useful small animal model of human SARS, defines its pathogenesis, and suggests treatment strategies...
- Targeted deletion of Fgl-2/fibroleukin in the donor modulates immunologic response and acute vascular rejection in cardiac xenograftsMichael Mendicino
Multi Organ Transplant Program, University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Circulation 112:248-56. 2005..Xenografts ultimately fail as a result of acute vascular rejection (AVR), a process characterized by intravascular thrombosis, fibrin deposition, and endothelial cell activation...
- Characterization of fibrinogen-like protein 2 (FGL2): monomeric FGL2 has enhanced immunosuppressive activity in comparison to oligomeric FGL2Hao Liu
Multi Organ Transplant Program, Toronto General Hospital, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2N2
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 45:408-18. 2013..These results collectively define the biochemical and immunological determinants of FGL2, an important immunosuppressive molecule of Treg providing important insights for designing FGL2-related therapeutics...
- Fgl2 deficiency causes neonatal death and cardiac dysfunction during embryonic and postnatal development in miceJunwu Mu
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Physiol Genomics 31:53-62. 2007....
- The novel CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cell effector molecule fibrinogen-like protein 2 contributes to the outcome of murine fulminant viral hepatitisItay Shalev
Multi Organ Transplant Program, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hepatology 49:387-97. 2009..The results further suggest that targeting FGL2 may lead to the development of novel treatment approaches for acute viral hepatitis infection...
- Antitumor activity mediated by double-negative T cellsKevin J Young
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, Multi Organ Transplantation Program, Toronto General Research Institute, University Health Network, 621 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2C4, Canada
Cancer Res 63:8014-21. 2003..Furthermore, DN T cells can suppress lymphoma cells in vivo and in vitro, suggesting that DN T cells could be used as a novel strategy for the treatment of lymphoma...
- Targeted delivery of ribavirin improves outcome of murine viral fulminant hepatitis via enhanced anti-viral activityGary A Levy
Multi Organ Transplant Program, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hepatology 43:581-91. 2006....
- The Fgl2/fibroleukin prothrombinase contributes to immunologically mediated thrombosis in experimental and human viral hepatitisPhilip A Marsden
CIHR Group on Cellular and Molecular Mechanisms of Organ Injury, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Invest 112:58-66. 2003..Fibrin deposition was strongly associated with Fgl2/fibroleukin expression. Collectively, these data indicate a critical role for Fgl2/fibroleukin in the pathophysiology of experimental and human viral hepatitis...
- Characteristic multiorgan pathology of cystic fibrosis in a long-living cystic fibrosis transmembrane regulator knockout murine modelPeter R Durie
Program in Integrative Biology, The Research Institute, Toronto, Canada
Am J Pathol 164:1481-93. 2004..We show, for the first time, that long-lived C578L/6J Cftr(-/-) mice develop manifestations of cystic fibrosis-like disease in all pathologically affected organs in the human form of cystic fibrosis...
- Targeted deletion of FGL2 leads to increased early viral replication and enhanced adaptive immunity in a murine model of acute viral hepatitis caused by LCMV WERamzi Khattar
University of Toronto Transplantation Institute, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 8:e72309. 2013..Targeting FGL2 may enhance the efficacy of current anti-viral therapies for hepatotropic viruses...
- An alternative promoter of the human neuronal nitric oxide synthase gene is expressed specifically in Leydig cellsYang Wang
Renal Division and Department of Medicine, St Michael s Hospital and University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Pathol 160:369-80. 2002....
- Donor-lymphocyte infusion induces transplantation tolerance by activating systemic and graft-infiltrating double-negative regulatory T cellsKevin J Young
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Multi Organ Transplantation Program, Toronto General Research Institute, University Health Network, University of Toronto, 101 College Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2C4
Blood 100:3408-14. 2002..Our results also show that DN regulatory T cells can eliminate antidonor T cells both systemically and locally, a finding suggesting that graft-infiltrating T cells can be beneficial to graft survival...
- Improvement in rejection of human decay accelerating factor transgenic pig-to-primate renal xenografts with administration of rabbit antithymocyte serumAnand Ghanekar
Department of Surgery, University of Toronto, Toronto General Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Transplantation 74:28-35. 2002..We hypothesized that the administration of rabbit antithymocyte serum (RATS) would delay or prevent AHXR as compared with a cyclophosphamide (CyP)-based immunosuppressive regimen...
- Lymphadenoma: case report of a rare salivary gland tumor in childhoodKenneth T E Chang
Department of Pediatric Laboratory Medicine, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pediatr Dev Pathol 13:331-7. 2010....
- Glycine conjugation of para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA): a pilot study of a novel prognostic test in acute liver failure in childrenSylvie Lebel
Division of Gastroenterology and Nutrition, Department of Pediatrics, The Hospital of Sick Children, University of Toronto, Canada
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 36:62-71. 2003..It is important to have a sensitive, specific early predictor of outcome to distinguish potential survivors (S) from nonsurvivors (NS)...
- Severe cholestasis induced by cholic acid feeding in knockout mice of sister of P-glycoproteinRenxue Wang
British Columbia Cancer Research Center, British Columbia Cancer Agency, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Hepatology 38:1489-99. 2003..In conclusion, the spgp(-/-) mice provide a unique model to investigate molecular pathways associated with cholestasis and related diseases...
- HDAF transgenic pig livers are protected from hyperacute rejection during ex vivo perfusion with human bloodYigang Luo
Transplantation Technologies Inc, London, Ontario, Canada
Xenotransplantation 9:36-44. 2002....
- Initial site of bile regurgitation following extrahepatic biliary obstruction in living ratsNorihito Watanabe
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Tokai University School of Medicine, Isehara, Kanagawa, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:1983-92. 2007..The aim of this study was to examine the initial site of bile regurgitation in vivo after common bile duct (CBD) obstruction by digitally enhanced fluorescence microscopy...