Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: The Hospital for Sick Children
- Apical junction complex proteins and ulcerative colitis: a focus on the PTPRS geneAleixo Muise
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Program in Cell Biology, The Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X8, Canada
Expert Rev Mol Diagn 8:465-77. 2008..We will focus on the PTPRS (encoding PTPsigma) gene and discuss its and other apical junction complex proteins' role in the pathogenesis of UC...
- Single nucleotide polymorphisms that increase expression of the guanosine triphosphatase RAC1 are associated with ulcerative colitisAleixo M Muise
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, Department of Pediatrics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Gastroenterology 141:633-41. 2011..Chronic inflammatory bowel diseases are associated with dysregulation of immune defenses. We studied the role of RAC1 in inflammatory bowel diseases using human genetic and functional studies and animal models of colitis...
- Low levels of procalcitonin during episodes of necrotizing enterocolitisDan Turner
Department of Pediatrics, Shaare Zedek Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Dig Dis Sci 52:2972-6. 2007..1 ng/ml. We conclude that low procalcitonin values are the rule during episodes of NEC and provide further evidence that overactive local immune response, and not active infection, is primarily responsible for the mucosal damage in NEC...
- Protein tyrosine phosphatase σ targets apical junction complex proteins in the intestine and regulates epithelial permeabilityRyan Murchie
Program in Cell Biology and Inflammatory Bowel Disease Centre, Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON, Canada, M5G 1X8
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 111:693-8. 2014....
- A CARD9 polymorphism is associated with decreased likelihood of persistent conjugated hyperbilirubinemia in intestinal failureKarolina Maria Burghardt
Group for Improvement of Intestinal Function and Treatment GIFT, Transplant Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Department of Pediatrics, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 9:e85915. 2014..Therefore, IF patients with CARD9 polymorphism are less likely to develop progressive liver disease and suggests that host innate immunity may play a role in IF associated liver disease. ..
- Infliximab-induced psoriasis and psoriasiform skin lesions in pediatric Crohn disease and a potential association with IL-23 receptor polymorphismsMary E Sherlock
Division of Gastroenterology, and Nutrition, McMaster Children s Hospital, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 56:512-8. 2013..Paradoxically, there have been numerous reports of new-onset psoriasis following tumor necrosis factor-α antagonist therapy in adult patients with inflammatory bowel disease, but pediatric data are sparse...