Affiliation: The Hospital for Sick Children
- Koren G, Sarkar M, Rosenbaum C, Orrbine E. The maternal drinking history guide: development of a national educational tool. J Popul Ther Clin Pharmacol. 2013;20:e42-3 pubmed..To that end, the Taskforce developed a three phase Knowledge Translation plan, to ensure that the educational program developed will be optimally effective for Canadian healthcare providers. ..
- Koren G, Florescu A, Costei A, Boskovic R, Moretti M. Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs during third trimester and the risk of premature closure of the ductus arteriosus: a meta-analysis. Ann Pharmacother. 2006;40:824-9 pubmed..12, 95% CI 0.48 to 9.25). Similar results were found when calculating rate differences. Short-term use of NSAIDs in late pregnancy is associated with a significant increase in the risk of premature ductal closure. ..
- Koren G, Soldin O. Therapeutic drug monitoring of antithyroid drugs in pregnancy: the knowledge gaps. Ther Drug Monit. 2006;28:12-3 pubmed..This knowledge gap must be filled to ensure fetal safety. ..
- Koren G, Clark S, Hankins G, Caritis S, Miodovnik M, Umans J, et al. Effectiveness of delayed-release doxylamine and pyridoxine for nausea and vomiting of pregnancy: a randomized placebo controlled trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010;203:571.e1-7 pubmed publisher..8%) of placebo-treated women (P = .009). Diclectin delayed release formulation of doxylamine succinate and pyridoxine hydrochloride is effective and well tolerated in treating nausea and vomiting of pregnancy. ..
- Chau K, Lau E, Greenberg S, Jacobson S, Yazdani Brojeni P, Verma N, et al. Probiotics for infantile colic: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial investigating Lactobacillus reuteri DSM 17938. J Pediatr. 2015;166:74-8 pubmed publisher..035; relative risk, 3.3; 95% CI, 1.55-7.03). Administration of L reuteri DSM 17938 significantly improved colic symptoms by reducing crying and fussing times in breastfed Canadian infants with colic. ..
- Koren G, Clark S, Hankins G, Caritis S, Umans J, Miodovnik M, et al. Maternal safety of the delayed-release doxylamine and pyridoxine combination for nausea and vomiting of pregnancy; a randomized placebo controlled trial. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2015;15:59 pubmed publisher..Clinical Trial Registration No: NCT00614445 . ..
- Koren G. The return to the USA of doxylamine-pyridoxine delayed release combination (Diclegis®) for morning sickness--a new morning for American women. J Popul Ther Clin Pharmacol. 2013;20:e161-2 pubmed..This review highlights the milestones of this antiemetic agent over the last 40 years. ..
- Kelly L, Sommer D, Ramakrishna J, Hoffbauer S, Arbab Tafti S, Reid D, et al. Morphine or Ibuprofen for post-tonsillectomy analgesia: a randomized trial. Pediatrics. 2015;135:307-13 pubmed publisher..Ibuprofen in combination with acetaminophen provides safe and effective analgesia in children undergoing tonsillectomy. Post-tonsillectomy morphine use should be limited, as it may be unsafe in certain children. ..
- Alsaad A, Chaudhry S, Koren G. First trimester exposure to topiramate and the risk of oral clefts in the offspring: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Reprod Toxicol. 2015;53:45-50 pubmed publisher..13-12.51; P = 0.00001). This study provides strong evidence that TPM is associated with an increased risk of OC in infants exposed to TPM during embryogenesis and should lead to a careful review of TPM use in women of reproductive ages. ..
- Koren G, Boucher N. Adverse effects in neonates exposed to SSRIs and SNRI in late gestation--Motherisk Update 2008. Can J Clin Pharmacol. 2009;16:e66-7 pubmed..Preliminary evidence suggests that the very early respiratory symptoms may not be part of discontinuation but rather part of a reversible form of persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn (PPHN). ..
- Bar Oz B, Einarson T, Einarson A, Boskovic R, O Brien L, Malm H, et al. Paroxetine and congenital malformations: meta-Analysis and consideration of potential confounding factors. Clin Ther. 2007;29:918-926 pubmed publisher..A significantly greater number of women were using paroxetine for anxiety or panic when compared with women using other SSRIs. ..
- Koren G, Avner M, Shear N. Generic isotretinoin: a new risk for unborn children. CMAJ. 2004;170:1567-8 pubmed
- Koren G, Piwko C, Ahn E, Boskovic R, Maltepe C, Einarson A, et al. Validation studies of the Pregnancy Unique-Quantification of Emesis (PUQE) scores. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2005;25:241-4 pubmed..PUQE has been validated through 4 independent clinical outcomes of direct importance and relevance for NVP. The simplicity of PUQE and the ease of its execution make it a practical tool for both clinical follow-up and research. ..
- Koren G, Maltepe C. Pre-emptive therapy for severe nausea and vomiting of pregnancy and hyperemesis gravidarum. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2004;24:530-3 pubmed..Women who have experienced severe NVP in a previous pregnancy may benefit from taking antiemetics before, or immediately at the start of symptoms in a subsequent pregnancy. ..
- Koren G. Pharmacological treatment of disruptive behavior in children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Paediatr Drugs. 2015;17:179-84 pubmed publisher..Often, the child afflicted by FASD will not be allowed to participate in class activities without such therapies, which makes such analysis critical. ..
- Alsaad A, Kaplan Y, Koren G. Exposure to fluconazole and risk of congenital malformations in the offspring: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Reprod Toxicol. 2015;52:78-82 pubmed publisher..59-1.13). In conclusion, the use of fluconazole in the first trimester does not appear to increase the overall risk for congennital malformations. More studies are needed to address the potential increased rate of heart defects. ..
- Alsaad A, Fox C, Koren G. Toxicology and teratology of the active ingredients of professional therapy MuscleCare products during pregnancy and lactation: a systematic review. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2015;15:40 pubmed publisher..e. 10Â g/day). This study provides evidence that, when used as indicated, PTMC is apparently safe for pregnant women and their unborn babies as well as for breastfed infants. ..
- Kennedy D, Lupattelli A, Koren G, Nordeng H. Herbal medicine use in pregnancy: results of a multinational study. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2013;13:355 pubmed publisher..The use of complementary and alternative medicines (CAM) is growing in the general population. Herbal medicines are used in all countries of the world and are included in the top CAM therapies used...
- Koren G, Nulman I, Chudley A, Loocke C. Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. CMAJ. 2003;169:1181-5 pubmed
- Koren G, Hutson J, Gareri J. Novel methods for the detection of drug and alcohol exposure during pregnancy: implications for maternal and child health. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2008;83:631-4 pubmed publisher..Despite extensive evidence of fetal and neonatal risk, a large number of pregnant women are involved in excessive alcohol and drug abuse, such as with cocaine, methamphetamine, opioids, and cannabinoids...
- Koren G, Matsui D, Bailey B. DEET-based insect repellents: safety implications for children and pregnant and lactating women. CMAJ. 2003;169:209-12 pubmed..In this article, we review the available evidence on the effectiveness and safety of DEET-based products. The evidence does not support increased risk in young children...