Affiliation: The Hospital for Sick Children
- Impact of hypotension and low cerebral perfusion pressure on outcomes in children treated with hypothermia therapy following severe traumatic brain injury: a post hoc analysis of the Hypothermia Pediatric Head Injury TrialJames S Hutchison
Department of Critical Care, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ont, Canada
Dev Neurosci 32:406-12. 2010..Hypotension and low cerebral perfusion pressure should be anticipated and prevented in future trials of hypothermia therapy in patients with traumatic brain injury...
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled intervention trial of 3 and 10 mg sublingual melatonin for post-concussion syndrome in youths (PLAYGAME): study protocol for a randomized controlled trialKaren M Barlow
Alberta Children s Hospital Research Institute, University of Calgary, Room 293, Heritage Medical Research Building 3330 Hospital Drive NW, Calgary, AB T2N 4N1, Canada
Trials 15:271. 2014..Our hypothesis is that treatment of post-concussion syndrome following mild traumatic brain injury with 3 or 10 mg of sublingual melatonin for 28 days will result in a decrease in post-concussion syndrome symptoms compared with placebo...
- Multicentre validation of the bedside paediatric early warning system score: a severity of illness score to detect evolving critical illness in hospitalised childrenChristopher S Parshuram
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, ON M5G 1X8, Canada
Crit Care 15:R184. 2011..The objective of this study was to validate the Bedside PEWS score in a large patient population at multiple hospitals...
- Development and initial validation of the Bedside Paediatric Early Warning System scoreChristopher S Parshuram
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X8, Canada
Crit Care 13:R135. 2009..Identification of children for referral to critical care experts remains problematic. Our objective was to develop and validate a simple bedside score to quantify severity of illness in hospitalized children...
- Hypothermia therapy after traumatic brain injury in childrenJames S Hutchison
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Ave, Toronto, ON M5G 1X8, Canada
N Engl J Med 358:2447-56. 2008..However, the effect of hypothermia therapy on the neurologic outcome and mortality among children who have severe traumatic brain injury is unknown...
- Hypothermia therapy for cardiac arrest in pediatric patientsJames S Hutchison
Department of Critical Care Medicine, University of Toronto and Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, ON M5G 1X8, Canada
Pediatr Clin North Am 55:529-44, ix. 2008..We recommend further study before a strong recommendation can be made to use hypothermia therapy in children with cardiac arrest...
- Hypothermia pediatric head injury trial: the value of a pretrial clinical evaluation phaseJ Hutchison
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Hospital for Sick Children, and Interdepartmental Division of Critical Care, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Canada
Dev Neurosci 28:291-301. 2006..The utility of a pretrial clinical evaluation or run-in phase prior to conducting trials of complex interventions such as hypothermia therapy following severe traumatic brain injury in children and adolescents has not been established...
- Clinical management and functional neuromonitoring in traumatic brain injury in childrenAnne Marie Guerguerian
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Neurosciences and Mental Health Research Program, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Curr Opin Pediatr 21:737-44. 2009..Traumatic brain injury is the main cause of childhood disability and death. In this review, we highlight recent original findings and emerging themes from published literature on children with serious traumatic brain injury...
- Fluctuations in cortical synchronization in pediatric traumatic brain injuryVera Nenadovic
Critical Care Medicine Program, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Neurotrauma 25:615-27. 2008..74) better than the worst Glasgow Coma Scale score, length of coma, or extent of injury on CT scan. This represents a novel approach in the evaluation of TBI in children...
- Hypoxia alters the expression of inhibitor of apoptosis proteins after brain trauma in the mouseAngelo Mikrogianakis
Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Neurotrauma 24:338-53. 2007..These findings show that IAPs have a potential role in the increased vulnerability of brain cells to hypoxia following TBI, and have implications for configuring future therapies for TBI...
- Severe hemodilutional anemia increases cerebral tissue injury following acute neurotraumaGregory M T Hare
Department of Anesthesia, University of Toronto, St Michael s Hospital, 30 Bond St, Toronto, Ontario M5B 1W8, Canada
J Appl Physiol (1985) 103:1021-9. 2007..05 for both). Hemodilutional anemia reduced cerebral Pbr(O(2)) and oxygen extraction and increased cell death following TBI. These results support our hypothesis that acute anemia accentuated hypoxic cerebral injury after neurotrauma...
- Effect of a liberal versus restrictive transfusion strategy on mortality in patients with moderate to severe head injuryLauralyn A McIntyre
Centre for Transfusion and Critical Care Research, Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Critical Care Program, University of Ottawa and Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario
Neurocrit Care 5:4-9. 2006..To compare a restrictive versus a liberal transfusion strategy in patients with moderate to severe closed head injury following multiple trauma in 13 Canadian intensive care units (ICUs)...
- Medical and cognitive outcome in children with traumatic brain injuryCraig G N Campbell
Division of Neurology, Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, Canada
Can J Neurol Sci 31:213-9. 2004..The literature suggests that sequelae include not only medical problems but also impairments in cognitive functioning...
- Biomarkers and diagnosis; protein biomarkers in serum of pediatric patients with severe traumatic brain injury identified by ICAT-LC-MS/MSArsalan S Haqqani
Institute for Biological Sciences, National Research Council of Canada, Ottawa, Canada
J Neurotrauma 24:54-74. 2007..Several proteins with pattern similarity to S100beta identified by hierarchical clustering could be considered for evaluation in a larger patient sample as potential peripheral markers of TBI...
- Cerebrovascular disordersJames S Hutchison
Department of Critical Care and Pediatrics, Hospital for Sick Children, and Interdepartmental Division of Critical Care, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Semin Pediatr Neurol 11:139-46. 2004..Children with acute stroke should be rapidly transported to and cared for in a pediatric center with a specialized stroke team or access to acute stroke protocols...
- Prolonged therapeutic hypothermia after traumatic brain injury in adults: a systematic reviewLauralyn A McIntyre
Division of Intensive Care, Department of Medicine, The Ottawa Hospital, General Campus, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
JAMA 289:2992-9. 2003..The benefits of therapeutic hypothermia as a treatment for traumatic brain injury (TBI) remain unclear...