Denis F Geary
Affiliation: The Hospital for Sick Children
- Home nocturnal hemodialysis in childrenDenis F Geary
Division of Nephrology, Department of Paediatrics, The Hospital for Sick Children and University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Pediatr 147:383-7. 2005..To describe the effect of home nocturnal hemodialysis (NHD) in North American children...
- Development of a nocturnal home hemodialysis (NHHD) program for childrenDenis F Geary
Division of Nephrology, Department of Pediatrics, Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X8
Semin Dial 17:115-7. 2004..The steps involved in the development of this program are outlined. The experience of Simonsen (4), that NHHD is feasible and provides excellent dialysis for children, is confirmed...
- Darbepoetin alfa (Aranesp) in children with chronic renal failureDenis F Geary
Division of Nephrology, and Department of Population Health Sciences, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Kidney Int 68:1759-65. 2005..Darbepoetin alfa use has been reported in 7 children with chronic renal failure (CRF). Our objective was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of darbepoetin and determine a therapeutic dose in a larger sample of children with CRF...
- Calcium and phosphate balance in adolescents on home nocturnal haemodialysisDaljit K Hothi
Department of Nephrology, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1X8, Canada
Pediatr Nephrol 21:835-41. 2006....
- Platelet-associated complement factor H in healthy persons and patients with atypical HUSChristoph Licht
Department of Paediatrics, Division of Nephrology, Program in Cell Biology, The Hospital for Sick Children, and University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Blood 114:4538-45. 2009..This CFH-dependent response did not involve P-selectin mobilization, indicating a complement-induced platelet response distinct from alpha-granule secretion...
- Attitudes of caregivers to management of end-stage renal disease in infantsJun Chuan Teh
Division of Nephrology, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Perit Dial Int 31:459-65. 2011..To characterize the attitudes of pediatric nephrologists caring for infants with end-stage renal disease (ESRD) compared with attitudes from a survey published in 1998. Nephrology nurses and social workers were included...
- Evaluating methods for improving ultrafiltration in pediatric hemodialysisDaljit K Hothi
Division of Nephrology, Department of Pediatrics, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON, Canada
Pediatr Nephrol 23:631-8. 2008..Despite this, the desired dry weight was not achieved in 66% of our treatments. No clear benefit was seen with UF profiles...
- Short-term effects of nocturnal haemodialysis on carnitine metabolismDaljit K Hothi
Division of Pediatric Nephrology, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:2637-41. 2006..Conversely, as a consequence of increased dialysis dose, NHD may have the potential to aggravate plasma nutrient deficiencies. Our objective was to determine the effects of NHD on plasma free-carnitine levels and carnitine metabolism...
- The use of darbepoetin in infants with chronic renal impairmentAnne M Durkan
Department of Nephrology, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, M5G IX8, Toronto, Canada
Pediatr Nephrol 21:694-7. 2006..In conclusion, darbepoetin can be successfully administered to infants with chronic renal insufficiency, but the dose needs to be tailored to each individual. Administration would be facilitated by smaller unidose syringes...
- Anemia in children with chronic kidney diseaseSusan M Koshy
Division of Nephrology, Department of Pediatrics, The Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, M5G 1X8, Toronto, Canada
Pediatr Nephrol 23:209-19. 2008..Pediatric nephrologists are encouraged to use current clinical practice guidelines and best evidence in conjunction with their clinical experience to optimally manage patients with anemia...
- Comparison of isotonic and hypotonic intravenous maintenance fluids: a randomized clinical trialJeremy N Friedman
Division of Paediatric Medicine, Paediatric Outcomes Research Team, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
JAMA Pediatr 169:445-51. 2015..Clinical trial data comparing isotonic and hypotonic maintenance fluids in nonsurgical hospitalized pediatric patients outside intensive care units are lacking...
- Bolus fluid therapy and sodium homeostasis in paediatric gastroenteritisStephen B Freedman
Sections of Emergency Medicine and Gastroenterology, Department of Paediatrics, Alberta Children s Hospital, Alberta, Canada
J Paediatr Child Health 49:215-22. 2013..The study aims to assess the risk of developing hyponatraemia when large-volume bolus fluid rehydration therapy is administered...
- Intensive hemodialysis associates with improved survival compared with conventional hemodialysisGihad E Nesrallah
Division of Nephrology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
J Am Soc Nephrol 23:696-705. 2012..In conclusion, there is a strong association between intensive home hemodialysis and improved survival, but whether this relationship is causal remains unknown...
- Quality of life in children with chronic kidney disease-patient and caregiver assessmentsAnn Marie McKenna
Division of Nephrology, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto M5G 1X8, ON, Canada
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:1899-905. 2006..Our objective was to compare health-related quality of life (HRQOL) in children with different stages of CKD to each other and to a control population...
- Body size in children with chronic kidney disease after gastrostomy tube feedingJulianna L Sienna
Division of Nephrology, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Pediatr Nephrol 25:2115-21. 2010....
- Outcome of isolated antenatal hydronephrosisAdam M Cheng
Department of Paediatrics, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 158:38-40. 2004..To define the clinical outcome in isolated antenatal hydronephrosis (ANH), defined as pelviectasis without vesicoureteral reflux or urinary tract obstruction...
- A prospective cohort study of incident maintenance dialysis in children: an NAPRTC studyMary B Leonard
Department of Pediatrics, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, and Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Kidney Int 63:744-55. 2003..This study evaluated dialysis characteristics, complications, practices, and outcomes in an incident pediatric cohort...
- Central venous lines for chronic hemodialysis: survey of the Midwest Pediatric Nephrology ConsortiumRudolph P Valentini
Division of Nephrology, The Carman and Ann Adams Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Michigan, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI, USA
Pediatr Nephrol 23:291-5. 2008..As treatment strategies varied greatly, future prospective studies are needed to determine the effectiveness of each individual therapy...