Giorgio A Tasca
- Reciprocal influence of alliance to the group and outcome in day treatment for eating disordersGiorgio A Tasca
University of Ottawa and The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Couns Psychol 59:507-17. 2012..Clinicians may improve group treatment by assessing alliance to the group and outcomes repeatedly, being aware of their interplay, and structuring interventions based on the mutual causal effects of change in each...
- Outcomes of specific interpersonal problems for binge eating disorder: comparing group psychodynamic interpersonal psychotherapy and group cognitive behavioral therapyGiorgio A Tasca
Regional Centre for Eating Disorders, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Int J Group Psychother 62:197-218. 2012..GPIP may be most relevant for those with BED who have Cold/Distant interpersonal problems and attachment avoidance...
- Predictors of treatment acceptance and of participation in a randomized controlled trial among women with anorexia nervosaGiorgio A Tasca
Regional Centre for Eating Disorders, The Ottawa Hospital, ON, Canada
Eur Eat Disord Rev 20:155-61. 2012..This study aimed to identify predictors of acceptance of intensive treatment and of participation in a randomized controlled trial (RCT) among women with anorexia nervosa (AN)...
- Testing a maintenance model for eating disorders in a sample seeking treatment at a tertiary care center: a structural equation modeling approachGiorgio A Tasca
Department of Psychology, The Ottawa Hospital and University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Compr Psychiatry 52:678-87. 2011..Treatment models based on both core and additional maintenance factors for those seeking therapy at a specialized tertiary care center may result in improved treatment outcomes for these patients with eating disorders...
- Purging disorder: psychopathology and treatment outcomesGiorgio A Tasca
The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Int J Eat Disord 45:36-42. 2012..To characterize a tertiary care treatment-seeking sample and assess post-treatment remission and completion rates for purging disorder (PD)...
- Implications of attachment theory and research for the assessment and treatment of eating disordersGiorgio A Tasca
Department of Psychology, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Psychotherapy (Chic) 48:249-59. 2011..Tailoring treatments to improve attachment functioning for patients with an eating disorder will likely result in better outcomes for those suffering from these particularly burdensome disorders...
- Personality dimensions among women with an eating disorder: towards reconceptualizing DSMGiorgio A Tasca
The Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa, Canada
Eur Eat Disord Rev 17:281-9. 2009....
- Depressive symptoms are associated with medication use and lower health-related quality of life in overweight women with binge eating disorderRenee Grenon
Department of Psychology, Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Womens Health Issues 20:435-40. 2010..The current study examined the relationships between depression, HRQOL, and health care utilization among treatment seeking women with BED...
- The role of psychological and behavioral variables in quality of life and the experience of bodily pain among persons living with HIVJohn Kowal
Department of Psychology, The Ottawa Hospital Rehabilitation Centre, Ottawa, Canada
J Pain Symptom Manage 36:247-58. 2008..Results suggest that targeting depressive symptoms, physical activity, and coping strategies as part of comprehensive treatment protocols could help improve pain-specific QOL and overall QOL among individuals with HIV...
- Matching women with binge eating disorder to group treatment based on attachment anxiety: outcomes and moderating effectsGiorgio A Tasca
Psychiatry, The Ottawa Hospital, General Campus, Ottawa, Ontario, K1H 8L6 Canada
Psychother Res 23:301-14. 2013..Clinicians should be attentive to and encourage the growth of group therapy alliance especially for anxiously attached individuals...
- Interpersonal processes in psychodynamic-interpersonal and cognitive behavioral group therapy: a systematic case study of two groupsGiorgio A Tasca
The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Psychotherapy (Chic) 48:260-73. 2011..This mixed method case study of group processes based on an interpersonal stage model of psychotherapy suggested specific therapist behaviors in each modality to maximize positive therapeutic interactions at each stage of group therapy...
- Using the PAI with an eating disordered population: scale characteristics, factor structure, and differences among diagnostic groupsGiorgio A Tasca
Department of Psychology, University of Ottawa and Ottawa Hospital, Ontario, Canada
J Pers Assess 79:337-56. 2002..Use of the PAI with an eating disordered population and its utility in understanding eating disorder diagnostic groups is supported...
- Attachment predicts treatment completion in an eating disorders partial hospital program among women with anorexia nervosaGiorgio A Tasca
Psychology and Eating Disorders Program, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Pers Assess 83:201-12. 2004..Attachment anxiety, characterized by high preoccupation with relationships, may facilitate remaining in treatment for those with ANB...
- Attachment insecurity predicts eating disorder symptoms and treatment outcomes in a clinical sample of womenVanessa Illing
Department of Psychology, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
J Nerv Ment Dis 198:653-9. 2010..Attachment dimensions substantially contribute to our understanding of ED symptoms and treatment outcome. Addressing attachment insecurity when treating those with EDs may improve treatment outcomes...
- Increasing public awareness about hepatitis C: development and validation of the brief hepatitis C knowledge scaleLouise Balfour
Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, ON K1H 8L6, Canada
Scand J Caring Sci 23:801-8. 2009..It has valuable applications as a clinical teaching tool with patients and healthcare providers and could be used as an outcome indicator in novel HCV educational intervention studies...
- Olanzapine in the treatment of low body weight and obsessive thinking in women with anorexia nervosa: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialHany Bissada
The Ottawa Hospital, 501 Smyth Rd, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1H8L6
Am J Psychiatry 165:1281-8. 2008..The objective of this trial was to assess the efficacy of olanzapine in promoting weight gain and in reducing obsessive symptoms among adult women with anorexia nervosa...
- High HIV knowledge relates to low stigma in pharmacists and university health science students in Guyana, South AmericaLouise Balfour
Division of Infectious Diseases, The Ottawa Hospital General Campus, 501 Smyth Road, Suite 7300, Ottawa, Ontario K1H8L6, Canada
Int J Infect Dis 14:e881-7. 2010..This study also evaluated how the Public Health Strengthening in Guyana Project's (PHSGP) HIV/AIDS/STI educational initiatives influenced HIV knowledge levels among health science students at the University of Guyana...
- HIV prevention in action on the football field: the WhizzKids United program in South AfricaLouise Balfour
Faculty of Medicine, The Ottawa Hospital, The University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
AIDS Behav 17:2045-52. 2013..The results highlight the importance of supporting community-based HIV educational initiatives that engage high-risk youth in HIV prevention and the need for youth-friendly health services...
- Multilevel modeling of longitudinal data for psychotherapy researchers: I. The basicsGiorgio A Tasca
Department of Psychology, The Ottawa Hospital General Campus, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8L6, Canada
Psychother Res 19:429-37. 2009..They also present data from a psychotherapy research as an example of the application of MLMs. Finally, they offer some caveats and advice for conducting and presenting MLMs...
- Internalization of the thin and muscular body ideal and disordered eating in adolescence: the mediation effects of body esteemMartine F Flament
University of Ottawa Institute of Mental Health Research, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Body Image 9:68-75. 2012..Body esteem is important to consider for prevention and treatment of disordered eating in both genders...
- Altruism motivates participation in a therapeutic HIV vaccine trial (CTN 173)Louise Balfour
The Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa, ON, Canada
AIDS Care 22:1403-9. 2010..Fostering altruism and responsibly promoting the societal benefits of research may facilitate trial participation...
- Development and validation of the HIV Medication Readiness ScaleLouise Balfour
Ottawa Hospital General Campus, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Assessment 14:408-16. 2007..The HMRS is a brief, easy-to-use, clinically relevant tool that can assist in identifying people living with HIV at high risk of nonadherence, who might benefit from tailored readiness counseling prior to initiating HIV medications...
- Psychometric properties of the eating disorders inventory-2 among women seeking treatment for binge eating disorderGiorgio A Tasca
University of Ottawa, Ottawa Hospital, ON, Canada
Assessment 10:228-36. 2003..Some scales differentiated the BED from the BN sample, and the second-order factors correlated with measures of similar constructs. The original EDI scales can be used reliably for those with BED...
- Three-level multilevel growth models for nested change data: a guide for group treatment researchersGiorgio A Tasca
Department of Psychology, The Ottawa Hospital General, Ottawa, Ontario K1H 8L6, Ontario
Psychother Res 19:453-61. 2009..The authors present an example from group treatment research to illustrate these issues and methods...
- Comparison of group climate in an eating disorders partial hospital group and a psychiatric partial hospital groupGiorgio A Tasca
Eating Disorders Program, Department of Psychology, Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa, Canada
Int J Group Psychother 52:409-17. 2002..Therapists may be able to use initial heightened engagement in eating disorder groups to counteract the tendency to avoid content...
- Individual versus group psychotherapy for eating disordersGiorgio A Tasca
University of Ottawa, Regional Centre for Eating Disorders, The Ottawa Hospital, 501 Smyth Road, Box 400, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1H 8L6
Int J Group Psychother 57:399-403. 2007
- Structural relationships among attachment insecurity, alexithymia, and body esteem in women with eating disordersLeah Keating
Department of Psychology, Carleton University, 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, ON K1S 5B6, Canada
Eat Behav 14:366-73. 2013..These results indicate that therapists may attend to attachment insecurity and affective regulation strategies when addressing body image issues in patients with eating disorders...
- Evaluation of health care needs and patient satisfaction among hepatitis C patients treated at a hospital-based, viral hepatitis clinicLouise Balfour
Viral Hepatitis Unit, Division of Infectious Diseases, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario
Can J Public Health 95:272-7. 2004..To define self-reported hepatitis C knowledge, health care needs, and patient satisfaction in a representative cohort of hepatitis C virus (HCV)-infected adults treated at a university hospital-based viral hepatitis clinic in Canada...