- Predicting risk of mortality in dialysis patients: a retrospective cohort study evaluating the prognostic value of a simple chest X-rayEthan Bohn
University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
BMC Nephrol 14:263. 2013....
- Patterns in blood pressure medication use in US incident dialysis patients over the first 6 monthsWendy L St Peter
University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy, Minneapolis, MN, USA
BMC Nephrol 14:249. 2013....
- The association between geographic proximity to a dialysis facility and use of dialysis cathetersLisa M Miller
Health Science Centre, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
BMC Nephrol 15:40. 2014..It remains unclear if there are differences in vascular access based on distance of one's residence to dialysis centre at time of dialysis initiation, and whether region or duration of pre-dialysis care are important effect modifiers...
- Trends in anemia management in US hemodialysis patients 2004-2010Dana C Miskulin
Division of Nephrology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
BMC Nephrol 14:264. 2013..There have been major changes in the management of anemia in US hemodialysis patients in recent years. We sought to determine the influence of clinical trial results, safety regulations, and changes in reimbursement policy on practice...
- Association of frailty and physical function in patients with non-dialysis CKD: a systematic reviewSimon R Walker
Seven Oaks Hospital, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
BMC Nephrol 14:228. 2013..The purpose of this systematic review was to explore the link between frailty, CKD and clinical outcomes...
- Comparative effectiveness studies to improve clinical outcomes in end stage renal disease: the DEcIDE patient outcomes in end stage renal disease studyL Ebony Boulware
Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology and Clinical Research, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, 2024 E, Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
BMC Nephrol 13:167. 2012..Evidence is lacking to inform providers' and patients' decisions about many common treatment strategies for patients with end stage renal disease (ESRD)...
- Risk prediction models for patients with chronic kidney disease: a systematic reviewNavdeep Tangri
Seven Oaks General Hospital, 2PD 13, 2300 McPhillips Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba R2V 3M3, Canada
Ann Intern Med 158:596-603. 2013..Patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) are at increased risk for kidney failure, cardiovascular events, and all-cause mortality. Accurate models are needed to predict the individual risk for these outcomes...
- β-Blockers for prevention of sudden cardiac death in patients on hemodialysis: a propensity score analysis of the HEMO StudyNavdeep Tangri
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Seven Oaks General Hospital, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Am J Kidney Dis 58:939-45. 2011..Although the efficacy of β-blockers for the prevention of sudden cardiac death has been proven in the general population, little evidence exists in patients with kidney failure...
- Both patient and facility contribute to achieving the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services' pay-for-performance target for dialysis adequacyNavdeep Tangri
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Seven Oaks General Hospital, University of Manitoba, 2PD 13 2300 McPhillips Street, Winnipeg MB, R2V3M3 Canada
J Am Soc Nephrol 22:2296-302. 2011..These data suggest that if adherence is not a modifiable patient characteristic, providers could be unfairly penalized for caring for these patients under current CMS policy. These penalties may have unintended consequences...
- Young aboriginals are less likely to receive a renal transplant: a Canadian national studySteven Promislow
Department of Medicine, Section of Nephrology, St Boniface Hospital, University of Manitoba, 409 Tache Avenue, Winnipeg R2H 2A6, Canada
BMC Nephrol 14:11. 2013..We examined the effect of age on renal transplantation in Aboriginals...
- Incidence, secular trends, and outcomes of cardiac surgery in Aboriginal peoplesManish M Sood
Section of Nephrology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada St Boniface Hospital, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Electronic address
Can J Cardiol 29:1629-36. 2013..We set out to investigate secular rates of cardiovascular surgery (CVSx) and postsurgical outcomes in Aboriginals compared with non-Aboriginals...
- Filtration markers may have prognostic value independent of glomerular filtration rateNavdeep Tangri
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 23:351-9. 2012..trace protein and cystatin C seem to provide more consistent prognostic information than creatinine...
- Comparative effectiveness of early versus conventional timing of dialysis initiation in advanced CKDDeidra C Crews
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology and Clinical Research, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Md Electronic address
Am J Kidney Dis 63:806-15. 2014..Previous observational studies examining outcomes associated with the timing of dialysis therapy initiation in the United States have often been limited by lead time and survivor bias...
- Predialysis health, dialysis timing, and outcomes among older United States adultsDeidra C Crews
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine
J Am Soc Nephrol 25:370-9. 2014..These findings do not support the common practice of early dialysis initiation in the United States. ..
- The risk of peritonitis after an exit site infection: a time-matched, case-control studyAlissa Lloyd
Department of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Nephrol Dial Transplant 28:1915-21. 2013..We conducted a time-matched, case-control study to determine the association between ESIs and subsequent peritonitis...
- Underutilization of peritoneal dialysis: the role of the nephrologist's referral patternJay Hingwala
Department of Medicine, University ofManitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Nephrol Dial Transplant 28:732-40. 2013..This study examined differences in patient PD attempt rates between nephrologists using technique survival and mortality as outcomes...
- Association of modality with mortality among Canadian AboriginalsManish M Sood
Department of Medicine, Section of Nephrology, St Boniface Hospital, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 7:1988-95. 2012..Using the Canadian Organ Replacement Registry, this study examined whether dialysis modality (peritoneal or hemodialysis) impacted mortality in Aboriginal patients...
- Non-invasive endothelial function testing and the risk of adverse outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysisYang Xu
Section of Nephrology, Seven Oaks General Hospital, 2PD 13 2300 McPhillips Street, Winnipeg, Canada R2V 3M3
Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging 15:736-46. 2014....
- Cost-effectiveness of primary screening for CKD: a systematic reviewPaul Komenda
Section of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada Department of Community Health Sciences, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada Seven Oaks General Hospital Renal Program, Winnipeg, Canada Electronic address
Am J Kidney Dis 63:789-97. 2014..Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is a major health problem with an increasing incidence worldwide. Data on the cost-effectiveness of CKD screening in the general population have been conflicting...
- Predicting mortality in incident dialysis patients: an analysis of the United Kingdom Renal RegistryMartin Wagner
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 57:894-902. 2011..No prediction tool is used widely in current clinical practice. We aimed to predict long-term mortality in incident dialysis patients using easily obtainable variables...
- Risk prediction in chronic kidney disease: pitfalls and caveatsClaudio Rigatto
Seven Oaks General Hospital, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 21:612-8. 2012..We first focus on methods of model development and metrics of model performance in general, and then highlight important risk prediction tools for patients with CKD, for prediction of kidney failure and all-cause mortality...
- CKD stage at nephrology referral and factors influencing the risks of ESRD and deathManeesh Sud
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Kidney Dis 63:928-36. 2014..Our objective was to apply a competing risk analysis in order to estimate these risks in a referred cohort of patients with CKD by stage at referral and identify risk factors associated with each outcome...
- Estimated glomerular filtration rate and albuminuria: diagnosis, staging, and prognosisPaul Komenda
Division of Nephrology, Seven Oaks General Hospital, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 23:251-7. 2014....
- Changes in dietary protein intake has no effect on serum cystatin C levels independent of the glomerular filtration rateNavdeep Tangri
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Kidney Int 79:471-7. 2011..Hence, cystatin C may allow more accurate estimates of GFR than creatinine for patients with reduced protein intake. Further study of other non-GFR determinants of cystatin C is needed before the widespread adoption...