- Comparative effectiveness studies to improve clinical outcomes in end stage renal disease: the DEcIDE patient outcomes in end stage renal disease studyL Ebony Boulware
Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology and Clinical Research, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, 2024 E, Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
BMC Nephrol 13:167. 2012..Evidence is lacking to inform providers' and patients' decisions about many common treatment strategies for patients with end stage renal disease (ESRD)...
- Risk prediction models for patients with chronic kidney disease: a systematic reviewNavdeep Tangri
Seven Oaks General Hospital, 2PD 13, 2300 McPhillips Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba R2V 3M3, Canada
Ann Intern Med 158:596-603. 2013..Patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) are at increased risk for kidney failure, cardiovascular events, and all-cause mortality. Accurate models are needed to predict the individual risk for these outcomes...
- β-Blockers for prevention of sudden cardiac death in patients on hemodialysis: a propensity score analysis of the HEMO StudyNavdeep Tangri
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Seven Oaks General Hospital, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Am J Kidney Dis 58:939-45. 2011..Although the efficacy of β-blockers for the prevention of sudden cardiac death has been proven in the general population, little evidence exists in patients with kidney failure...
- Both patient and facility contribute to achieving the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services' pay-for-performance target for dialysis adequacyNavdeep Tangri
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Seven Oaks General Hospital, University of Manitoba, 2PD 13 2300 McPhillips Street, Winnipeg MB, R2V3M3 Canada
J Am Soc Nephrol 22:2296-302. 2011..These data suggest that if adherence is not a modifiable patient characteristic, providers could be unfairly penalized for caring for these patients under current CMS policy. These penalties may have unintended consequences...
- Young aboriginals are less likely to receive a renal transplant: a Canadian national studySteven Promislow
Department of Medicine, Section of Nephrology, St Boniface Hospital, University of Manitoba, 409 Tache Avenue, Winnipeg R2H 2A6, Canada
BMC Nephrol 14:11. 2013..We examined the effect of age on renal transplantation in Aboriginals...
- Filtration markers may have prognostic value independent of glomerular filtration rateNavdeep Tangri
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 23:351-9. 2012..trace protein and cystatin C seem to provide more consistent prognostic information than creatinine...
- Association of modality with mortality among Canadian AboriginalsManish M Sood
Department of Medicine, Section of Nephrology, St Boniface Hospital, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 7:1988-95. 2012..Using the Canadian Organ Replacement Registry, this study examined whether dialysis modality (peritoneal or hemodialysis) impacted mortality in Aboriginal patients...
- The risk of peritonitis after an exit site infection: a time-matched, case-control studyAlissa Lloyd
Department of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Nephrol Dial Transplant 28:1915-21. 2013..We conducted a time-matched, case-control study to determine the association between ESIs and subsequent peritonitis...
- Risk prediction in chronic kidney disease: pitfalls and caveatsClaudio Rigatto
Seven Oaks General Hospital, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 21:612-8. 2012..We first focus on methods of model development and metrics of model performance in general, and then highlight important risk prediction tools for patients with CKD, for prediction of kidney failure and all-cause mortality...
- Predicting mortality in incident dialysis patients: an analysis of the United Kingdom Renal RegistryMartin Wagner
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 57:894-902. 2011..No prediction tool is used widely in current clinical practice. We aimed to predict long-term mortality in incident dialysis patients using easily obtainable variables...
- Underutilization of peritoneal dialysis: the role of the nephrologist's referral patternJay Hingwala
Correspondence and offprint requests to Paul Komenda E mail
Nephrol Dial Transplant 28:732-40. 2013..If the PD attempt rate was maximized, a significant amount of money and resources could be saved or directed toward helping a larger population without significant harm to patients...
- Changes in dietary protein intake has no effect on serum cystatin C levels independent of the glomerular filtration rateNavdeep Tangri
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Kidney Int 79:471-7. 2011..Hence, cystatin C may allow more accurate estimates of GFR than creatinine for patients with reduced protein intake. Further study of other non-GFR determinants of cystatin C is needed before the widespread adoption...