Harindra C Wijeysundera
Affiliation: Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- Tam D, Hughes A, Fremes S, Youn S, Hancock Howard R, Coyte P, et al. A cost-utility analysis of transcatheter versus surgical aortic valve replacement for the treatment of aortic stenosis in the population with intermediate surgical risk. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2018;155:1978-1988.e1 pubmed publisher..There remains moderate-to-high uncertainty surrounding the base-case incremental cost-effectiveness ratio. ..
- Wijeysundera H, Sidhu M, Bennell M, Qiu F, Ko D, Knudtson M, et al. Predictors of Initial Revascularization Versus Medical Therapy Alone in Patients With Non-ST-Segment-Elevation Acute Coronary Syndrome Undergoing an Invasive Strategy. Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2016;9: pubmed publisher..Revascularization was associated with significantly improved survival. ..
- Wijeysundera H, Qiu F, Koh M, Prasad T, Cantor W, Cheema A, et al. Comparison of Outcomes of Balloon-Expandable Versus Self-Expandable Transcatheter Heart Valves for Severe Aortic Stenosis. Am J Cardiol. 2017;119:1094-1099 pubmed publisher..However, there were important differences in their safety profiles. ..
- Elbaz Greener G, Zivkovic N, Arbel Y, Radhakrishnan S, Fremes S, Wijeysundera H. Use of Two-Dimensional Ultrasonographically Guided Access to Reduce Access-Related Complications for Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. Can J Cardiol. 2017;33:918-924 pubmed publisher..The routine use of 2D-US in transfemoral TAVR was associated with substantial reductions in access-related vascular and bleeding complications. ..
- Sud M, Tam D, Wijeysundera H. The Economics of Transcatheter Valve Interventions. Can J Cardiol. 2017;33:1091-1098 pubmed publisher..Nonetheless, these transcatheter technologies represent a paradigm shift in the management of valvular disease; their dissemination will have substantial impact in cardiovascular care delivery. ..
- Shuvy M, Qiu F, Chee A Tow A, Graham J, Abuzeid W, Buller C, et al. Management of Chronic Total Coronary Occlusion in Stable Ischemic Heart Disease by Percutaneous Coronary Intervention Versus Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting Versus Medical Therapy. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:759-764 pubmed publisher..56, 95% confidence interval 0.40- to 0.78), with no difference in patients with CTOs. The CTO lesion, however, was revascularized in few of the PCI cases (41.1%), with PCI limited to the non-CTO lesion in most patients. ..
- Szpakowski N, Qiu F, Masih S, Kurdyak P, Wijeysundera H. Economic Impact of Subsequent Depression in Patients With a New Diagnosis of Stable Angina: A Population-Based Study. J Am Heart Assoc. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to understand whether improvements in the approach to diagnosis and treatment of depression will translate to reduced expenditures in this population. ..
- Ozier D, Zivkovic N, Elbaz Greener G, Singh S, Wijeysundera H. Timing of Conduction Abnormalities Leading to Permanent Pacemaker Insertion After Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation-A Single-Centre Review. Can J Cardiol. 2017;33:1660-1667 pubmed publisher..The majority of conduction abnormalities leading to PPM insertion after TAVI occur in the very early periprocedural period, suggesting that early mobilization and discharge will be safe from a conduction standpoint. ..
- Oxner A, Elbaz Greener G, Qui F, Masih S, Zivkovic N, Alnasser S, et al. Variations in Use of Optimal Medical Therapy in Patients With Nonobstructive Coronary Artery Disease: A Population-Based Study. J Am Heart Assoc. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..89; 95% confidence interval, 0.84-0.95). There is wide variation in the use of OMT in patients with nonobstructive coronary artery disease, the major driver of which is differences in baseline medication use. ..
- Arbel Y, Bennell M, Goodman S, Wijeysundera H. Cost-Effectiveness of Different Durations of Dual-Antiplatelet Use After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. Can J Cardiol. 2018;34:31-37 pubmed publisher..However, the differences are minimal, and decisions about duration of therapy should be driven by clinical data, patient risk of adverse events, including bleeding, and cardiovascular events. ..
- Wijeysundera H, Qiu F, Fefer P, Bennell M, Austin P, Ko D. Association between appropriateness of coronary revascularization and quality of life in patients with stable ischemic heart disease. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2014;14:137 pubmed publisher..Patients who had appropriate revascularization derived the greatest improvement in QOL compared with medical therapy. ..
- Adams J, Wong B, Wijeysundera H. Root causes for delayed hospital discharge in patients with ST-segment Myocardial Infarction (STEMI): a qualitative analysis. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2015;15:107 pubmed publisher..Future quality improvement interventions to reduce STEMI length of stay should focus on in-patient and out-patient strategies to address these unique clinical situations. ..
- Sud M, Qui F, Austin P, Ko D, Wood D, Czarnecki A, et al. Short Length of Stay After Elective Transfemoral Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement is Not Associated With Increased Early or Late Readmission Risk. J Am Heart Assoc. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..However, the risk of 1-year readmission increased with longer post-TAVR lengths of stay. ..
- de Oliveira C, Nguyen V, Wijeysundera H, Wong W, Woo G, Liu P, et al. How much are we spending? The estimation of research expenditures on cardiovascular disease in Canada. BMC Health Serv Res. 2012;12:281 pubmed publisher..Future work in this area should include the use of our coding methods to obtain estimates of funded research for other diseases in Canada. ..
- Arbel Y, Zivkovic N, Mehta D, Radhakrishnan S, Fremes S, Rezaei E, et al. Factors associated with length of stay following trans-catheter aortic valve replacement - a multicenter study. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2017;17:137 pubmed publisher..This multicenter study identified potentially modifiable patient and procedural factors associated with a prolonged LOS. Future research is needed to determine if interventions focused on these factors will translate to a shorter LOS. ..