Affiliation: Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- Survival differences observed in metastatic breast cancer patients treated with capecitabine when compared with vinorelbine after pretreatment with anthracycline and taxaneSunil Verma
Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Clin Oncol 30:297-302. 2007..Common therapeutic alternatives include capecitabine and vinorelbine. This retrospective chart review compares overall survival following treatment with capecitabine, vinorelbine, or both agents sequentially in this group of women...
- Treatment of locally advanced breast cancerSunil Verma
CMAJ 171:219; author reply 221-2. 2004
- Anthracyclines in early-stage breast cancer: is it the end of an era?Danny Robson
Sunnybrook Odette Cancer Centre, Toronto, Ontario M2N3E6, Canada
Oncologist 14:950-8. 2009..With these new advances, the current role of anthracycline-based chemotherapy in early-stage breast cancer demands re-examination...
- In the end what matters most? A review of clinical endpoints in advanced breast cancerSunil Verma
University of Toronto, Sunnybrook Odette Cancer Centre, T Wing, 2nd Floor, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M2N 3E6, Canada
Oncologist 16:25-35. 2011..In the end, what matters most is ensuring rapid access to safe and effective oncology treatments...
- Sunitinib in combination with trastuzumab for the treatment of advanced breast cancer: activity and safety results from a phase II studyThomas Bachelot
EORTC, Soft Tissue and Bone Sarcoma Group, Centre LÃ©on BÃ©rard and UniversitÃ© Claude Bernard, Lyon, France
BMC Cancer 14:166. 2014..This phase II study evaluated the efficacy and safety/tolerability of sunitinib plus trastuzumab in patients with HER2-positive advanced breast cancer (ABC)...
- Matters of the heart: cardiac toxicity of adjuvant systemic therapy for early-stage breast cancerK Towns
University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
Curr Oncol 15:S16-29. 2008....
- Cancer therapy disparity: unequal access to breast cancer therapeutics and drug funding in CanadaS Verma
Division of Medical Oncology, Toronto Sunny Brook Regional Cancer Centre, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario
Curr Oncol 14:S3-S10. 2007..The disparity in access to aromatase inhibitor therapy for postmenopausal women with early-stage hormone-sensitive breast cancer across Canada is highlighted as an example...
- An updated review on the efficacy of adjuvant endocrine therapies in hormone receptor- positive early breast cancerS Verma
Odette Cancer Centre, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, ON
Curr Oncol 16:S1-S13. 2009..It also reviews recent data so as to shed light on the current status of these therapies. The focus is on the efficacy of treatment with an AI. Toxicity is discussed in the second article in this supplement...
- Trastuzumab emtansine for HER2-positive advanced breast cancerSunil Verma
Sunnybrook Odette Cancer Centre, Toronto, ON M4N 3M5, Canada
N Engl J Med 367:1783-91. 2012..The antibody and the cytotoxic agent are conjugated by means of a stable linker...
- Is cardiotoxicity being adequately assessed in current trials of cytotoxic and targeted agents in breast cancer?S Verma
Department of Medicine, Sunnybrook Odette Cancer Centre, Toronto, Canada
Ann Oncol 22:1011-8. 2011..The duration of follow-up in many adjuvant studies may not be sufficient to determine the risk of late cardiac events. The findings indicate a need to study and standardize cardiac toxicity assessments in oncology trials...
- First-line treatment options for patients with HER-2 negative metastatic breast cancer: the impact of modern adjuvant chemotherapySunil Verma
Division of Medical Oncology, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, T Wing, 2nd Floor, TSRCC, Toronto, ON, Canada
Oncologist 12:785-97. 2007....
- The development and validation of a prediction tool for chemotherapy-induced anemia in patients with advanced nonsmall cell lung cancer receiving palliative chemotherapyMark Vincent
London Regional Cancer Program, 790 Commissioners Road E, London, ON, N6A 4L6, Canada
Support Care Cancer 15:265-72. 2007..e., a hemoglobin (Hb) of <or=100 g/l] in patients with advanced nonsmall cell lung cancer (NSCLC) receiving palliative chemotherapy is described...
- Quantitative ultrasound evaluation of tumor cell death response in locally advanced breast cancer patients to chemotherapy treatment administrationGregory Czarnota
Imaging Res and Radiation Oncology, Sunnybrook Health Sci Ctr, 2075 Bayview Ave, Toronto, ON M4N 3M5
J Acoust Soc Am 133:3539. 2013..The results indicate that such responses can be detected early during a course of chemotherapy and should permit ineffective treatments to be changed to more efficacious ones potentially leading to improved treatment outcomes...
- Review of the clinical studies using the 21-gene assayCatherine M Kelly
Division of Medical Oncology, Sunnybrook Odette Cancer Centre, The University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M4N 3M5
Oncologist 15:447-56. 2010..Better prognostic and predictive tests are needed. The 21-gene assay is the only widely commercially available gene signature that can be performed on formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue...
- The use of complementary and alternative medicines among patients with locally advanced breast cancer--a descriptive studyLucy K Helyer
Department of Surgical Oncology, Toronto Sunnybrook Regional Cancer Centre, 2075 Bayview Ave, Toronto, ON, M4N 3M5, Canada
BMC Cancer 6:39. 2006..Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) use is common among cancer patients. This paper reviews the use of CAM in a series of patients with locally advanced breast cancer (LABC)...
- Phase II trial evaluating the palliative benefit of second-line zoledronic acid in breast cancer patients with either a skeletal-related event or progressive bone metastases despite first-line bisphosphonate therapyMark J Clemons
Division of Medical Oncology, Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Oncol 24:4895-900. 2006....
- Impact of new chemotherapeutic and targeted agents on survival in stage IV non-small cell lung cancerJoanne L Yu
Sunnybrook Odette Cancer Centre, T Wing 2nd Floor, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M4N 3M5
Oncologist 16:1307-15. 2011..This study examined uptake of these therapies in general practice and their impact on survival...
- Chemotherapy-induced anaemia during adjuvant treatment for breast cancer: development of a prediction modelGeorge Dranitsaris
Toronto Sunnybrook Regional Cancer Centre, Ontario, Canada
Lancet Oncol 6:856-63. 2005..We aimed to develop a prediction model for anaemia in patients with breast cancer who were receiving adjuvant chemotherapy...
- Should oral bisphosphonates be standard of care in women with early breast cancer?Mark Clemons
Division of Medical Oncology, Toronto Sunnybrook Regional Cancer Centre, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M4N 3M5, Canada
Breast Cancer Res Treat 90:315-8. 2005..This article outlines the results of these studies and discusses the potential role for other bisphosphonates, such as ibandronate and zoledronic acid, in the adjuvant treatment of breast cancer...
- Challenges to implementation of an epidermal growth factor receptor testing strategy for non-small-cell lung cancer in a publicly funded health care systemPeter M Ellis
Department of Oncology, McMaster University, Juravinski Cancer Centre, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Thorac Oncol 8:1136-41. 2013..We examined barriers to the initial implementation of a national EGFR testing policy in Canada...
- Erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (ESAs): do they still have a role in chemotherapy-induced anemia (CIA)?Janis Bormanis
The Ottawa Hospital Regional Cancer Centre, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 87:132-9. 2013..This article aims to reconcile conflicting opinions and provide expert guidance for appropriate ESA use...
- Patient and physician perceptions on continuing aromatase inhibitors beyond the 5-year markSonal Gandhi
Department of Medical Oncology, University of Toronto, and Toronto Sunnybrook Edmond Odette Cancer Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Breast J 17:620-9. 2011..Patients were willing to continue on AIs for smaller treatment benefits than physicians would prefer to prescribe them beyond 5 years. Patient preference to continue on AIs correlated somewhat to the severity of AI-related side effects...
- Complementary and alternative medicine use is associated with an increased perception of breast cancer risk and deathEileen Rakovitch
Department of Radiation Oncology, Toronto Sunnybrook Regional Cancer Centre, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Ontario, Toronto, Canada, M4N 3M5
Breast Cancer Res Treat 90:139-48. 2005..The objective of this study is to assess the presence of anxiety and depression in breast cancer patients who use CAM and assess how they perceive their risks of recurrence and dying from breast cancer compared to non-users...
- Bisphosphonate use for the management of breast cancer patients with bone metastases: a survey of Canadian Medical OncologistsSunil Verma
Toronto Sunnybrook Regional Cancer Centre and Cancer Care Ontario, Toronto, Canada
Support Care Cancer 12:852-8. 2004..A questionnaire was therefore developed and administered to determine how medical oncologists in Canada use BPs in clinical practice...
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of recurrence score-guided treatment using a 21-gene assay in early breast cancerDaphne T Tsoi
Division of Medical Oncology, Sunnybrook Odette Cancer Centre, The University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M4N 3M5, Canada
Oncologist 15:457-65. 2010..We evaluated the cost-effectiveness of recurrence score (RS)-guided treatment using 21-gene assay as compared with treatment guided by the Adjuvant! Online program (AOL)...
- HER story: the next chapter in HER-2-directed therapy for advanced breast cancerSunil Verma
Sunnybrook Odette Cancer Centre, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Oncologist 18:1153-66. 2013..The significant cumulative survival gains seen in these trials are slowly reshaping the landscape of HER-2-positive ABC outcomes. ..
- Quantitative ultrasound evaluation of tumor cell death response in locally advanced breast cancer patients receiving chemotherapyAli Sadeghi-Naini
Imaging Research Physical Science, Sunnybrook Research Institute, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Clin Cancer Res 19:2163-74. 2013..This study investigates for the first time the potential of early detection of tumor cell death in response to clinical cancer therapy administration in patients using quantitative ultrasound spectroscopic methods...
- Early breast cancer in the older womanSonal Gandhi
Department of Medical Oncology, Sunnybrook Odette Cancer Centre, Toronto, Canada
Oncologist 16:479-85. 2011..Women aged ≥65 are generally underrepresented in early breast cancer studies. Therefore, the optimal management of this group of women remains less certain...
- Aromatase inhibitors and cardiac toxicity: getting to the heart of the matterSonal Gandhi
University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Breast Cancer Res Treat 106:1-9. 2007..It also highlights the importance of interpreting such data within the larger context of cardiovascular health in postmenopausal women...
- Primary care physicians' views of routine follow-up care of cancer survivorsM Elisabeth Del Giudice
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Toronto, Canada
J Clin Oncol 27:3338-45. 2009..However, current Canadian PCP views on this issue have been largely unknown...
- Oncology education in Canadian undergraduate and postgraduate training programsWinson Y Cheung
Department of Medical Oncology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
J Cancer Educ 24:284-90. 2009..We evaluated the quality of oncology education in undergraduate (UG) and postgraduate (PG) training programs...
- What is the best chemotherapy treatment option for anthracycline and taxane pretreated metastatic breast cancer?Sunil Verma
J Clin Oncol 23:6260; author reply 6261. 2005
- Do adjuvant aromatase inhibitors increase the cardiovascular risk in postmenopausal women with early breast cancer? Meta-analysis of randomized trialsFederica Cuppone
Department of Medical Oncology, Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy
Cancer 112:260-7. 2008..0] was demonstrated...
- The lack of long-term effect of Cisplatin based combination chemotherapy on serum cholesterol for treatment of testicular cancerDavid W Fenton
British Columbia Cancer Agency, Cross Cancer Institute, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Urol 168:1971-4. 2002..We performed a cross-sectional study to assess further the relationship of cisplatin based chemotherapy and serum cholesterol in long-term survivors of testicular cancer...