Affiliation: Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- Comparative economic analyses of patient safety improvement strategies in acute care: a systematic reviewEdward Etchells
University of Toronto Centre for Patient Safety, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BMJ Qual Saf 21:448-56. 2012..The objective was to systematically review comparative economic analyses of patient safety improvements in the acute care setting...
- Informed decision-making in elective major vascular surgery: analysis of 145 surgeon-patient consultationsEdward Etchells
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Ont, Canada
Can J Surg 54:173-8. 2011....
- Real-time clinical alerting: effect of an automated paging system on response time to critical laboratory values--a randomised controlled trialE Etchells
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Room C410, 2075 Bayview Ave, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Qual Saf Health Care 19:99-102. 2010..The objective was to evaluate the effect of an automated system for paging critical values directly to the responsible physician...
- Human factors in action: getting "pumped" at a nursing usability laboratoryEdward Etchells
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, ON
Healthc Q 9:69-74. 2006..This paper will be of interest to any hospital seeking to enhance safety by applying human factors design principles...
- Bioethics for clinicians: 2. DisclosureE Etchells
University of Toronto Joint Centre for Bioethics, Toronto, Ont
CMAJ 155:387-91. 1996..Clinicians may also need to be sensitive to cultural and religious beliefs that can affect disclosure...
- Bioethics for clinicians: 3. CapacityE Etchells
University of Toronto Joint Centre for Bioethics, Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Ont
CMAJ 155:657-61. 1996..If the assessment suggests that the patient is incapable, further assessment is generally recommended...
- Implementation and evaluation of an alpha-numeric paging system on a resident inpatient teaching serviceB M Wong
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Hosp Med 4:E34-40. 2009..Alphanumeric pagers can display both numbers and text, and may address some of these communication problems...
- Bioethics for clinicians: 4. VoluntarinessE Etchells
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto Hospital, Ont
CMAJ 155:1083-6. 1996....
- Assessment of patient capacity to consent to treatmentE Etchells
Department of Medicine, The Toronto Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont, Canada
J Gen Intern Med 14:27-34. 1999..Clinicians can use these practical, flexible, and evaluated measures as the initial step in the assessment of patient capacity to consent to treatment...
- Does this patient have an abnormal systolic murmur?E Etchells
Division of General Internal Medicine and Clinical Epidemiology, University of Toronto, Ontario
JAMA 277:564-71. 1997..We conclude that the clinical examination by cardiologists is accurate for detecting various causes of abnormal systolic murmurs. Studies of the clinical examination by noncardiologists are needed...
- Clinical examination for the detection of protective sensation in the feet of diabetic patients. International Cooperative Group for Clinical Examination ResearchM Smieja
Department of Medicine, McMaster University Medical Centre, Hamilton Health Sciences Corporation, Ont, Canada
J Gen Intern Med 14:418-24. 1999..The Semmes-Weinstein monofilament examination, a reproducible, valid, and generalizable test of foot sensation, is recommended as the screening procedure of choice for examining diabetic feet...
- Variable pre-transfusion patient identification practices exist in the perioperative settingJames M Burrows
Department of Transfusion Medicine and Tissue Banks, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada
Can J Anaesth 56:901-7. 2009....
- Striking a balance: who is accountable for patient safety?Edward Etchells
Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario
Healthc Q 8:146-50. 2005
- Patient safety in surgery: error detection and preventionEdward Etchells
Patient Safety Service, Sunnybrook and Womens' College Health Sciences Center, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Room C410, Toronto, Ontario M4N 3M5, Canada
World J Surg 27:936-41; discussion 941-2. 2003....
- Usability evaluation of order sets in a computerised provider order entry systemJulie Chan
Department of Medicine, Information Services, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, ON, Canada
BMJ Qual Saf 20:932-40. 2011..The usability of a CPOE system plays a significant role in its acceptance. The authors conducted a heuristic evaluation of a CPOE order set system to uncover existing usability issues prior to implementation...
- Relationship between preventability of death after coronary artery bypass graft surgery and all-cause risk-adjusted mortality ratesVeena Guru
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, G 106, 2075 Bayview Ave, Toronto, Ontario M4N 3M5 Canada
Circulation 117:2969-76. 2008....
- Venous thromboembolism and its prevention in critical careWilliam Geerts
Department of Medicine and Health Policy, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
J Crit Care 17:95-104. 2002..In the meantime, prevention strategies, shown to be effective in other related patient groups, and general principles of individual pharmacotherapy should guide the routine use of prophylaxis during critical illness...
- Barcoded medication administration: a last line of defenseDavid W Cescon
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
JAMA 299:2200-2. 2008
- Editorial: safety and critical careEdward Etchells
J Crit Care 17:76-7. 2002
- Avoiding drug interactions in hospitalized patientsDavid Juurlink
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
Healthc Q 7:27-8. 2004
- Information exchange among physicians caring for the same patient in the communityCarl van Walraven
Clinical Epidemiology Program, Ottawa Health Research Institute, ASB1 003, Ottawa Hospital, Civic Campus, 1053 Carling Ave, Ottawa, ONK1Y4E9
CMAJ 179:1013-8. 2008..This study determined the probability that patient information from previous visits with other physicians was available for a current physician visit...
- Interdisciplinary inpatient care for elderly people with hip fracture: a randomized controlled trialGary Naglie
Division of General Internal Medicine and Clinical Epidemiology, University Health Network and Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ont
CMAJ 167:25-32. 2002..We compared the effectiveness of postoperative interdisciplinary care with that of usual care for elderly patients with hip fracture...