Jeannie L Callum
Affiliation: Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- The appropriateness of red blood cell transfusions in the peripartum patientJeffrey A Silverman
Department of Hematology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Obstet Gynecol 104:1000-4. 2004..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the reasons for and the appropriateness of RBC transfusions in the peripartum patient...
- Adverse effects of small-volume red blood cell transfusions in the neonatal populationAmy Keir
School of Paediatrics and Reproductive Health, University of Adelaide, Adelaide 5005, Australia
Syst Rev 3:92. 2014....
- Assessment and management of massive bleeding: coagulation assessment, pharmacologic strategies, and transfusion managementJeannie L Callum
Department of Clinical Pathology, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada
Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program 2012:522-8. 2012....
- Plasma transfusion for patients with severe hemorrhage: what is the evidence?Jeannie L Callum
Department of Clinical Pathology, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Transfusion 52:30S-7S. 2012..But even until these trials are completed, it is clear that a massive transfusion protocol is needed in all hospitals that manage bleeding patients, to ensure a prompt and coordinated response to hemorrhage...
- Clinical review: Fresh frozen plasma in massive bleedings - more questions than answersBartolomeu Nascimento
Transfusion Medicine, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, 2075 Bayview Ave, C160, Toronto, ON M4N 3M5, Canada
Crit Care 14:202. 2010....
- Cryoprecipitate: the current state of knowledgeJeannie L Callum
Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre and University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Transfus Med Rev 23:177-88. 2009..Despite 45 years of the use of this product, we still have a lot to learn regarding the optimal use of cryoprecipitate...
- Cryoprecipitate use in 25 Canadian hospitals: commonly used outside of the published guidelinesEdward C Alport
Canadian Blood Services, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Transfusion 48:2122-7. 2008..Canadian Blood Services' disposition reports suggested considerable variation in cryoprecipitate use and prompted this national audit...
- Comprehensive Canadian review of the off-label use of recombinant activated factor VII in cardiac surgeryKeyvan Karkouti
University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital, Department of Anesthesia, EN 3 402, 200 Elizabeth St, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2C4
Circulation 118:331-8. 2008..This observational study sought to identify the off-label use pattern of recombinant activated factor VII (rFVIIa) in cardiac surgery and to identify predictors of its effectiveness and risk...
- Acute kidney injury after cardiac surgery: focus on modifiable risk factorsKeyvan Karkouti
Department of Anesthesia and Health Policy, Management, and Evaluation, Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, 200 Elizabeth St, EN 3 402, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2C4
Circulation 119:495-502. 2009..Lacking effective therapies, risk factor modification may offer a means of preventing this complication. The objective of the present study was to identify and determine the prognostic importance of such risk factors...
- Early massive transfusion in trauma patients: Canadian single-centre retrospective cohort studyTushar D Mahambrey
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Can J Anaesth 56:740-50. 2009..To determine associations between red blood cell (RBC) transfusion and early and late clinical outcomes in massively transfused adult trauma patients...
- Variability and predictability of large-volume red blood cell transfusion in cardiac surgery: a multicenter studyKeyvan Karkouti
University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital, Department of Anesthesia, Ontario, Canada
Transfusion 47:2081-8. 2007..The objectives of this study were to measure the interinstitution variation and predictability of large-volume RBC transfusion...
- The role of recombinant factor VIIa in on-pump cardiac surgery: proceedings of the Canadian Consensus ConferenceKeyvan Karkouti
University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital, Department of Anesthesia, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can J Anaesth 54:573-82. 2007..A Canadian Consensus Conference was convened to generate recommendations for rFVIIa use in on-pump cardiac surgery...
- Utilization of frozen plasma in Ontario: a provincewide audit reveals a high rate of inappropriate transfusionsAlan Tinmouth
Department of Medicine, Ottawa Hospital and University of Ottawa, Canada Clinical Epidemiology Program, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Ontario Regional Blood Coordinating Network Office, Toronto, Ontario, Canada Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada Department of Laboratory Medicine, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada Canadian Blood Services, Ottawa and Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Transfusion 53:2222-9. 2013..To better understand current utilization practices in our region, we undertook a provincewide prospective audit to evaluate the clinical indications and appropriateness of FP transfusion...
- Variable pre-transfusion patient identification practices exist in the perioperative settingJames M Burrows
Department of Transfusion Medicine and Tissue Banks, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada
Can J Anaesth 56:901-7. 2009....
- Transfusion-associated hyperkalemiaAdrienne Vraets
Transfusion Medicine, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, 2075 Bayview Ave, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Transfus Med Rev 25:184-96. 2011....
- The prevention of transfusion-associated circulatory overloadAsim Alam
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Transfus Med Rev 27:105-12. 2013..We believe that using these methodologies on a global scale will prevent many TACO events and minimize the severity when it does occur...
- Transfusion of ABO-nonidentical platelets is not associated with adverse clinical outcomes in cardiovascular surgery patientsYulia Lin
Department of Clinical Pathology, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Center, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Transfusion 42:166-72. 2002..The impact of platelet and plasma incompatibility on clinical outcomes was analyzed...
- Experience with the medical event reporting system for transfusion medicine (MERS-TM) at three hospitalsJeannie L Callum
Department of Clinical Pathology, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, and the University of Toronto, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ont, Canada
Transfus Apher Sci 31:133-43. 2004..The MERS-TM assists hospital transfusion services to identify, analyze, and correct system events relating to the delivery of blood to patients...
- Platelet transfusions are not associated with increased morbidity or mortality in cardiac surgeryKeyvan Karkouti
Department of Anesthesia, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can J Anaesth 53:279-87. 2006..To determine the independent relationship between leukoreduced platelet transfusions and adverse events in cardiac surgery...