F A Shepherd
Affiliation: St. Michael's Hospital
- Prospective randomized trial of docetaxel versus best supportive care in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer previously treated with platinum-based chemotherapyF A Shepherd
University of Toronto, Toronto, and London Regional Cancer Centre, London, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Oncol 18:2095-103. 2000..Secondary end points included assessment of response (docetaxel arm only), toxicity, and quality of life...
- Prospective randomized trial of two dose levels of interferon alfa with zidovudine for the treatment of Kaposi's sarcoma associated with human immunodeficiency virus infection: a Canadian HIV Clinical Trials Network studyF A Shepherd
Department of Medicine of the Toronto Hospital, Canada
J Clin Oncol 16:1736-42. 1998..These observations led to our trial of zidovudine with two dose levels of interferon alfa...
- Alternatives to chemotherapy and radiotherapy as adjuvant treatment for lung cancerF A Shepherd
Toronto Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Lung Cancer 17:S121-36. 1997..It remains only speculative at this time as to whether manipulation of abnormal genes in malignant cells will be clinically possible, and whether treatment of this sort may be applied in an adjuvant setting...
- Treatment of Kaposi's sarcoma after solid organ transplantationF A Shepherd
Department of Medicine, The Multi Organ Transplant Program of The Toronto Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Oncol 15:2371-7. 1997....
- Pharmacogenetic analysis of BR.21, a placebo-controlled randomized phase III clinical trial of erlotinib in advanced non-small cell lung cancerGeoffrey Liu
Medical Oncology and Hematology, Department of Medicine, Princess Margaret Hospital University Health Network and University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
J Thorac Oncol 7:316-22. 2012..Predictive and prognostic analyses of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR), ABCG2, and AKT1 genetic polymorphisms were performed...
- Randomized study of CODE versus alternating CAV/EP for extensive-stage small-cell lung cancer: an Intergroup Study of the National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group and the Southwest Oncology GroupN Murray
National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Oncol 17:2300-8. 1999..To determine whether an intensive weekly chemotherapy regimen plus thoracic irradiation is superior to standard chemotherapy in the treatment of extensive-stage small-cell lung cancer (ESCLC)...
- Randomized study of chemotherapy and surgery versus radiotherapy for stage IIIA non-small-cell lung cancer: a National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group StudyF A Shepherd
Interdepartmental Division of Oncology of the University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Br J Cancer 78:683-5. 1998..5% of patients. Median survival times were 16.2 and 18.7 months for radiotherapy alone and chemotherapy-surgery respectively (P = Ns), with no long-term improvement in survival seen with combined-modality treatment...
- A phase I dose-escalation study of aflibercept administered in combination with pemetrexed and cisplatin in patients with advanced solid tumoursI Diaz-Padilla
Division of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Department of Medicine, Princess Margaret Hospital, University Health Network, University of Toronto, 610 University Avenue, 5 700, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2M9, Canada
Br J Cancer 107:604-11. 2012..To evaluate the safety, pharmacokinetics (PKs), and pharmacodynamics of aflibercept, and to identify the recommended phase II dose (RP2D) of aflibercept in combination with pemetrexed and cisplatin...
- Treatment-emergent hypertension and outcomes in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer receiving chemotherapy with or without the vascular endothelial growth factor receptor inhibitor cediranib: NCIC Clinical Trials Group Study BR24R Goodwin
NCIC Clinical Trials Group, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Ann Oncol 21:2220-6. 2010....
- Docetaxel (Taxotere) shows survival and quality-of-life benefits in the second-line treatment of non-small cell lung cancer: a review of two phase III trialsF A Shepherd
Princess Margaret Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Semin Oncol 28:4-9. 2001..The adverse events observed were predictable, tolerable, and manageable. These phase III trials showed that docetaxel provided clinical benefits to patients with non-small cell lung cancer...
- An economic analysis of the INTEREST trial, a randomized trial of docetaxel versus gefitinib as second-/third-line therapy in advanced non-small-cell lung cancerA M Horgan
Division of Medical Oncology, Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Ann Oncol 22:1805-11. 2011..Gefitinib had a better toxicity profile and greater improvements in quality of life (QoL). We undertook a cost-consequence analysis to estimate the direct medical costs of gefitinib compared with docetaxel...
- Validity of sexual histories in a prospective study of male sexual contacts of men with AIDS or an AIDS-related conditionR A Coates
Department of Preventive Medicine and Biostatistics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Epidemiol 128:719-28. 1988..However, some caution may be necessary in interpreting the results for some activities (anal digit insertion, anilingus) since agreement is less satisfactory for these activities...
- Phase II study of pemetrexed disodium, a multitargeted antifolate, and cisplatin as first-line therapy in patients with advanced nonsmall cell lung carcinoma: a study of the National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials GroupF A Shepherd
The Department of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Princess Margaret Hospital, 610 University Avenue, 5 104, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 2M9, Canada
Cancer 92:595-600. 2001..This study was undertaken to determine the response to pemetrexed disodium given in combination with cisplatin...
- The influence of sex and histology on outcomes in non-small-cell lung cancer: a pooled analysis of five randomized trialsP Wheatley-Price
Princess Margaret Hospital University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ann Oncol 21:2023-8. 2010..Primary outcomes were response rate, overall survival (OS), toxicity, and dose delivery. A secondary analysis examined survival by sex in histological subgroups...
- Alternatives to chemotherapy and radiotherapy in the treatment of small cell lung cancerF A Shepherd
Department of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Ontario
Semin Oncol 28:30-7. 2001..Miscellaneous treatments, including monoclonal antibody therapy, tamoxifen, and growth factor inhibition have not yet been shown to have a role in the treatment of SCLC. Semin Oncol 28 (suppl 4):30-37...
- Angiogenesis inhibitors in the treatment of lung cancerF A Shepherd
Division of Medical Oncology, Department of Medicine, Princess Margaret Hospital, 610 University Avenue, 5 104, University of Toronto, Ont, Toronto, Canada, M5G 2M9
Lung Cancer 34:S81-9. 2001..Numerous other anti-angiogenesis agents are in early clinical trials, but have not been evaluated in lung cancer yet...
- Cyclophosphamide and fluorouracil combined with mitoxantrone versus doxorubicin for breast cancer: superiority of doxorubicinD J Stewart
Division of Medical Oncology, Ottawa Regional Cancer Centre, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Oncol 15:1897-905. 1997....
- Economic issues in lung cancer: a reviewP J Goodwin
Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Oncol 16:3900-12. 1998..It is estimated that lung cancer is responsible for 20% of all cancer care costs. Concerns exist that this expenditure is associated with questionable benefits...
- Cross-validation study of class III beta-tubulin as a predictive marker for benefit from adjuvant chemotherapy in resected non-small-cell lung cancer: analysis of four randomized trialsT Reiman
Department of Medicine, Dalhousie University and Department of Oncology, Saint John Regional Hospital, Saint John, NB, Canada
Ann Oncol 23:86-93. 2012..We explored this further in additional patients from JBR.10 and the other three trials...
- Enhancing treatment decision-making: pilot study of a treatment decision aid in stage IV non-small cell lung cancerN B Leighl
Division of Medical Oncology, Princess Margaret Hospital University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Br J Cancer 98:1769-73. 2008..The DA for advanced NSCLC is feasible, acceptable to patients and improves understanding of advanced NSCLC without increasing patient anxiety...
- The strength of female sex as a prognostic factor in small-cell lung cancer: a pooled analysis of chemotherapy trials from the Manchester Lung Group and Medical Research Council Clinical Trials UnitP Wheatley-Price
Department of Medical Oncology, Princess Margaret Hospital University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
Ann Oncol 21:232-7. 2010..Previous studies reported that women survive longer than men, but experience greater toxicity, when treated for small-cell lung cancer (SCLC)...
- Phase II study of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin HCl (Caelyx) in combination with cyclophosphamide and vincristine as second-line treatment of patients with small cell lung cancerNatasha B Leighl
Princess Margaret Hospital University of Toronto, Department of Medicine, 5 222 610 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2M9
Lung Cancer 52:327-32. 2006..Response rates for second-line chemotherapy are 15-25%, with a median survival of 5 months. Caelyx, a pegylated liposomal formulation of doxorubicin, may be better tolerated and has activity in SCLC...
- Amplification of telomerase (hTERT) gene is a poor prognostic marker in non-small-cell lung cancerC Q Zhu
Division of Applied Molecular Oncology, Ontario Cancer Institute, Ontario, Toronto, Canada
Br J Cancer 94:1452-9. 2006..16, P=0.03). These data indicate that gene amplification is an important mechanism for hTERT overexpression in lung adenocarcinoma and is an independent poor prognostic marker for disease-free survival in NSCLC...
- Cancer incidence among Canadian kidney transplant recipientsP J Villeneuve
Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Am J Transplant 7:941-8. 2007..Our findings underscore the need for increased vigilance among kidney transplant recipients for cancers at sites where there are no population-based screening programs in place...
- Two novel BRM insertion promoter sequence variants are associated with loss of BRM expression and lung cancer riskG Liu
Department of Medicine, Division of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Ontario Cancer Institute, Princess Margaret Hospital University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Oncogene 30:3295-304. 2011..These polymorphisms thus have the potential to identify a sub-population of smokers at greater lung cancer risk, wherein this risk could be driven by an aberrant SWI/SNF chromatin-remodeling pathway...
- Comparison of three HIV antigen detection kits in sequential sera from a cohort of homosexual menS E Read
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 4:717-23. 1991..There are significant differences in the performance characteristics of these commercial products for the detection of HIV antigen in serum...