James V Lavery
Affiliation: St. Michael's Hospital
- Research ethics across the 49th parallel: the potential value of pilot testing "equivalent protections" in Canadian research institutionsJames V Lavery
Centre for Research on Inner City Health, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Health Law Rev 13:86-96. 2005..S. regulatory model for the protection of human subjects; and (5) by providing a model for how the idea of equivalent protections might be addressed for research funded by Canadian agencies but conducted in other countries...
- Monitoring and oversight in critical care researchJames V Lavery
Centre for Global Health Research and Inner City Health Research Unit, St Michael s Hospital, Department of Public Health Sciences and Joint Centre for Bioethics, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Crit Care 8:403-5. 2004..The appropriate role of critical care researchers and research administrators is to provide leadership to move toward a greater recognition of the importance of monitoring and oversight for ethical and high quality clinical research...
- 'Relief of oppression': an organizing principle for researchers' obligations to participants in observational studies in the developing worldJames V Lavery
Centre for Research on Inner City Health and Centre for Global Health Research, Keenan Research Centre, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Canada
BMC Public Health 10:384. 2010....
- Taking tissue seriously means taking communities seriouslyRoss E G Upshur
University of Toronto Joint Centre for Bioethics, 88 College Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1L4, Canada
BMC Med Ethics 8:11. 2007..This often leads to the export of human tissue (defined broadly) from the developing to the developed world for analysis. These practices raise a number of important ethical issues that require attention...
- In global health research, is it legitimate to stop clinical trials early on account of their opportunity costs?James V Lavery
Centre for Research on Inner City Health and Centre for Global Health Research, The Keenan Research Centre in the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
PLoS Med 6:e1000071. 2009..But David Buchanan argues that the early stopping of trials for such opportunity costs would face insurmountable practical barriers, and would risk causing harm to the participants in the trial that was stopped...
- Aligning community engagement with traditional authority structures in global health research: a case study from northern GhanaPaulina O Tindana
McLaughlin Rotman Centre for Global Health, University of Toronto, Canada
Am J Public Health 101:1857-67. 2011..Finally, even in seemingly ideal, small, and homogeneous communities, cultural issues exist, such as gender inequities, that may not be effectively addressed by traditional practices alone...
- Towards a framework for community engagement in global health researchJames V Lavery
Centre for Research on Inner City Health and Centre for Global Health Research, Keenan Research Centre, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Trends Parasitol 26:279-83. 2010..We describe here a framework that provides a starting point for broader discussions of community engagement in global health research, particularly as it relates to the development, evaluation and application of new technologies...
- The perspectives of young adults on recovery from repeated suicide-related behaviorYvonne Bergmans
Arthur Sommer Rotenberg Chair in Suicide Studies, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Canada
Crisis 30:120-7. 2009..This qualitative study sought to develop an understanding of how young adults between the ages of 18-25 years, who have a history of two or more suicide attempts, transition away from high-risk suicide-related behaviors...
- Engaging communities in tuberculosis researchRenaud F Boulanger
Ethical, Social and Cultural Program, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Lancet Infect Dis 13:540-5. 2013....
- Ethical, social, and cultural considerations for site selection for research with genetically modified mosquitoesJames V Lavery
Centre for Research on Inner City Health, Centre for Global Health Research, Keenan Research Centre, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:312-8. 2008..These considerations reflect some of the key ESC issues for site selection decisions for research with GM vectors...
- Putting international research ethics guidelines to work for the benefit of developing countriesJames V Lavery
Centre for Global Health Research, Centre for Inner City Health Research, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Yale J Health Policy Law Ethics 4:319-36. 2004
- The case for conducting first-in-human (phase 0 and phase 1) clinical trials in low and middle income countriesLydia Kapiriri
Department of Health Aging and Society, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4M4, Canada
BMC Public Health 11:811. 2011....
- A tough transitionPeter A Singer
Program on Life Sciences, Ethics and Policy, at the McLaughlin Rotman Centre for Global Health, Toronto, Canada
Nature 449:160-3. 2007
- The origins of a research community in the Majengo Observational Cohort Study, Nairobi, KenyaSunita V S Bandewar
Program on Ethics and Commercialization, McLaughlin Rotman Centre for Global Health, University Toronto Network and University of Toronto, 101 College St, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1L7, Canada
BMC Public Health 10:630. 2010..Yet despite these concerns, the cohort has survived for almost 30 years...
- Inhaled nitric oxide for the adjunctive therapy of severe malaria: protocol for a randomized controlled trialMichael Hawkes
Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Toronto, Canada
Trials 12:176. 2011..Low-flow inhaled nitric oxide (iNO) gas is a US FDA-approved treatment for hypoxic respiratory failure in neonates...
- Data safety and monitoring boardsArthur S Slutsky
Department of Medicine, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Canada
N Engl J Med 350:1143-7. 2004
- Grand challenges in global health: community engagement in research in developing countriesPaulina O Tindana
Navrongo Health Research Centre in Navrongo, Ghana
PLoS Med 4:e273. 2007