P J Hanly
Affiliation: St. Michael's Hospital
- Improvement in Cheyne-Stokes respiration following cardiac resynchronisation therapyJ Y Gabor
Dept of Medicine, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Canada
Eur Respir J 26:95-100. 2005..In conclusion, cardiac resynchronisation therapy is associated with a reduction in Cheyne-Stokes respiration, which may contribute to improved clinical outcome in patients treated with cardiac resynchronisation therapy...
- Improvement of sleep apnea in patients with chronic renal failure who undergo nocturnal hemodialysisP J Hanly
Department of Medicine, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, ON, Canada
N Engl J Med 344:102-7. 2001..We hypothesized that nocturnal hemodialysis would correct sleep apnea in patients with chronic renal failure because of its greater effectiveness...
- Sleep apnea and daytime sleepiness in end-stage renal diseasePatrick Hanly
Division of Respirology, Room 6049, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, 30 Bond Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5B 1W8
Semin Dial 17:109-14. 2004..Further research is required to evaluate the impact of sleep disorders on the clinical outcome of patients with ESRD...
- Daytime sleepiness in patients with CRF: impact of nocturnal hemodialysisPatrick J Hanly
Department of Medicine, St Michael s Hospital University Health Network, Humber River Regional Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Kidney Dis 41:403-10. 2003..The authors wished to determine the severity and pathogenesis of daytime sleepiness in patients with ESRD and evaluate the impact of NHD...
- Pharyngeal narrowing in end-stage renal disease: implications for obstructive sleep apnoeaJ M Beecroft
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada
Eur Respir J 30:965-71. 2007..In conclusion, since a narrower upper airway predisposes to upper airway occlusion during sleep, it is suggested that this factor contributes to the pathogenesis of sleep apnoea in dialysis-dependent patients...
- Sleep disruption in the intensive care unitJ Y Gabor
Division of Respirology, Critical Care Medicine Program, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Curr Opin Crit Care 7:21-7. 2001..Although several questions remain unanswered, including the impact of sleep disruption on the clinical outcome of patients in the ICU, there is a growing interest in developing new strategies to improve sleep quality...
- Impact of menopause on the prevalence and severity of sleep apneaD R Dancey
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Division of Respirology, St. Michael's Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Chest 120:151-5. 2001..CONCLUSION: There may be functional, rather than anatomic, differences in the upper airway between premenopausal and postmenopausal women, which may account for the observed differences in apnea prevalence and severity...
- Impact of obstructive sleep apnea on left ventricular mass and diastolic functionM Niroumand
St. Michael's Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 163:1632-6. 2001..474, p < 0.0005), but not with AHI or oxygen saturation during sleep. We conclude that OSA is not associated with increased LVM or impaired LVDF independently of obesity, HTN, or advancing age...
- Shift in sleep apnoea type in heart failure patients in the CANPAP trialC M Ryan
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, ON, Canada
Eur Respir J 35:592-7. 2010..6 s versus 0.6 s). In patients with HF, spontaneous conversion from predominantly CSA to OSA is associated with an improvement in left ventricular systolic function. Future studies will be necessary to further examine this relationship...
- Sleep quality and daytime function in adults with cystic fibrosis and severe lung diseaseD R Dancey
St Michael s Hospital, Dept of Medicine, Toronto, ON, Canada
Eur Respir J 19:504-10. 2002..The authors concluded that adult cystic fibrosis patients with severe lung disease have impaired neurocognitive function and daytime sleepiness, which is partly related to chronic sleep loss and nocturnal hypoxaemia...
- Nocturnal haemodialysis increases pharyngeal size in patients with sleep apnoea and end-stage renal diseaseJaime M Beecroft
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Nephrol Dial Transplant 23:673-9. 2008..We hypothesized that NHD increases pharyngeal cross-sectional area and that this is associated with an improvement in sleep apnoea...
- Impact of kidney transplantation on sleep apnoea in patients with end-stage renal diseaseJaime M Beecroft
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 4N1
Nephrol Dial Transplant 22:3028-33. 2007..Although individual case reports have described an improvement in sleep apnoea following kidney transplantation, there have been no longitudinal studies of a case series to determine what proportion of patients with sleep apnoea improve...
- Intermittent hypoxia and vascular function: implications for obstructive sleep apnoeaGlen E Foster
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Health Sciences Center, Room 1421, 3330 Hospital Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Exp Physiol 92:51-65. 2007....
- Overnight changes of chemoreflex control in obstructive sleep apnoea patientsSafraaz Mahamed
Department of Physiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont, Canada M5S 1A8
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 146:279-90. 2005....
- Contribution of the intensive care unit environment to sleep disruption in mechanically ventilated patients and healthy subjectsJonathan Y Gabor
Department of Medicine, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 167:708-15. 2003....
- Measurement properties of the Epworth sleepiness scaleMichael S Miletin
Division of Respirology, Department of Medicine, Room 6049, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, 30 Bond Street, Toronto, Ont M5B 1W8, Canada
Sleep Med 4:195-9. 2003
- Ventilatory and blood pressure responses to isocapnic hypoxia in OSA patientsGlen E Foster
University of Calgary, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Physiology and Biophysics
Adv Exp Med Biol 605:463-8. 2008
- Sleep and recovery from critical illness and injury: a review of theory, current practice, and future directionsAndrew B Cooper
Crit Care Med 36:2962-3; author reply 2963. 2008
- Gender differences in sleep apnea: the role of neck circumferenceDavid R Dancey
Department of Medicine, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Canada
Chest 123:1544-50. 2003..To determine whether differences in sleep apnea severity between men and women referred to a sleep clinic are related to the differences in neck circumference (NC)...