Affiliation: St. Michael's Hospital
- Sarcoidosis complicated by cirrhosis and hepatopulmonary syndromeSamir Gupta
Department of Medicine, Division of Respirology, University of Toronto, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can Respir J 15:124-6. 2008..These patients may also be susceptible to a cerebral abscess by paradoxical embolization, and to opportunistic infections due to cirrhosis...
- Canadian Thoracic Society: Presenting a new process for clinical practice guideline productionSamir Gupta
St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can Respir J 16:e62-8. 2009..Ultimately, it is anticipated that these changes will have a significant impact on the quality of care and clinical outcomes of individuals suffering from respiratory diseases across Canada...
- Alveolar exhaled nitric oxide is elevated in hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasiaSamir Gupta
Division of Respirology, Department of Medicine, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, 30 Bond Street, Suite 6045, Toronto, ON, Canada M5B 1W8
Lung 187:43-9. 2009....
- Embolization for pulmonary arteriovenous malformation in hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia: a decision analysisSamir Gupta
Departments of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Chest 136:849-58. 2009..We used decision analysis to evaluate the optimal treatment strategy for HHT patients with asymptomatic PAVMs...
- Improved survival after liver transplantation in patients with hepatopulmonary syndromeS Gupta
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Transplant 10:354-63. 2010..045) (7 patients). Liver transplant survival in HPS and severe HPS was higher than previously demonstrated. Severity of HPS should not be the basis for transplant refusal...
- A framework for applying unfamiliar trial designs in studies of rare diseasesSamir Gupta
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5B 1W8, Canada
J Clin Epidemiol 64:1085-94. 2011..We sought to explain these designs and to provide a framework to assist researchers in identifying the most appropriate design for a given research question...
- Norfloxacin therapy for hepatopulmonary syndrome: a pilot randomized controlled trialSamir Gupta
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 8:1095-8. 2010..Animal models of this disease suggest that endotoxemia might cause nitric oxide-mediated vascular dilatation that can be inhibited by the antibiotic norfloxacin. We sought to test this hypothesis in humans...
- An asthma action plan created by physician, educator and patient online collaboration with usability and visual design optimizationSamir Gupta
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, 30 Bond Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Respiration 84:406-15. 2012..Existing AAPs have been developed by experts, without the inclusion of all stakeholders (such as patients with asthma) and without specifically addressing usability and visual design...
- WikiBuild: a new online collaboration process for multistakeholder tool development and consensus buildingSamir Gupta
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
J Med Internet Res 13:e108. 2011..Existing consensus techniques are poorly suited to design of visual media, can be expensive and logistically demanding, and are subject to caveats arising from group dynamics such as participant hierarchies...
- Rare lung disease research: strategies for improving identification and recruitment of research participantsSamir Gupta
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, ON, Canada
Chest 140:1123-9. 2011..Advancements in this area are vital to the design and performance of much-needed robust clinical studies across the spectrum of rare lung diseases...
- Mitochondrial respiratory chain defects and developmental diaphragmatic dysfunction in the neonatal periodSamir Gupta
Directorate of Neonatology, The James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough, UK
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 19:587-9. 2006..All were later confirmed to have a mitochondrial respiratory chain disorder following biochemical investigations of muscle tissue, raising the possibility of a link between mitochondrial dysfunction and diaphragmatic involvement...