Affiliation: Simon Fraser University
- Concussions in hockey: there is cause for concernD Goodman
Human Motor Systems Laboratory, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, B C, Canada, V5A 1S6
Med Sci Sports Exerc 33:2004-9. 2001..The purpose of the study was to document various aspects of concussion in Canadian Amateur hockey including demographics, causes, treatment, and prevention in order to guide future recommendations on how to reduce injury...
- Video gaming promotes concussion knowledge acquisition in youth hockey playersDavid Goodman
Faculty of Applied Sciences, Simon Fraser University, 8888 University Drive, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5A 1S6
J Adolesc 29:351-60. 2006..Most participants indicated that they enjoyed the game and would play it again. These results suggest that educational material can be conveyed successfully and in an appealing manner via video game play...
- Performance monitoring in the anterior cingulate is not all error related: expectancy deviation and the representation of action-outcome associationsFlavio T P Oliveira
Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
J Cogn Neurosci 19:1994-2004. 2007..These results could shed light into neurobehavioral disorders, such as depression and mania, associated with alterations in performance monitoring and also in judgments of self-related events...
- Conscious and effortful or effortless and automatic: a practice/performance paradox in motor learningFlavio T P Oliveira
Department of Kinesiology, Simon Fraser University, 8888 University Drive, Burnaby, B C, Canada V5A 1S6
Percept Mot Skills 99:315-24. 2004..Findings suggest that it is indeed possible to benefit from both effortful and minimal cognitive processing strategies and that they should be used complementarily...
- Energy-minimization bias: compensating for intrinsic influence of energy-minimization mechanismsFlavio T P Oliveira
School of Kinesiology, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC, Canada
Motor Control 9:101-14. 2005..We suggest that the motor system is constrained such that maximal performance trades off with energetic optimality although humans are able to learn and compensate for the energy minimization biases...
- Return-to-play guidelines after concussion: the message is getting throughDavid Goodman
Clin J Sport Med 12:265. 2002
- Heart rate variability of recently concussed athletes at rest and exerciseBrent Gall
School of Kinesiology, Simon Fraser University Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Med Sci Sports Exerc 36:1269-74. 2004..This dysfunction alludes to an exercise induced uncoupling between the autonomic and cardiovascular systems...