- Baseline Determinants of Global Diet Quality in Older Men and Women from the NuAge CohortB Shatenstein
B Shatenstein, Centre de Recherche, Institut Universitaire de Geriatrie de Montreal, 4565 Queen Mary, Montreal, QC Canada, H3W 1W5, Tel 1 514 340 3540, extension 3247, Fax 1 514 340 2801, Email
J Nutr Health Aging 17:419-25. 2013..As diet knowledge was an independent predictor for both genders, targeted, sustainable interventions are needed to ensure good diet quality as people age...
- Diet quality and cognition among older adults from the NuAge studyBryna Shatenstein
Departement de Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Canada
Exp Gerontol 47:353-60. 2012..This study examined the relationships between diet quality (DQ) and cognition for over 3 years among 1488 older adults (52.6% female) from the NuAge study, aged 67 to 84 years at recruitment...
- Examining the relative validity of an adult food frequency questionnaire in children and adolescentsBryna Shatenstein
Departement de Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Canada
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 51:645-52. 2010..The aim of the study was to assess the accuracy of a food frequency questionnaire (FFQ) developed in French and English for adults 18 years and older, among subjects ages 7 to 18 years participating in a prospective cohort study...
- Impact of health conditions on food intakes among older adultsBryna Shatenstein
Departement de Nutrition, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Montreal, Centre de Recherche, Institut Universitaire de Geriatrie de Montreal, 4565 Queen Mary, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Nutr Elder 27:333-61. 2008..The role of health care professionals, particularly nutritionists, in guiding older adults toward an improved diet cannot be overstated...
- Dietary intervention in older adults with early-stage Alzheimer dementia: early lessons learnedB Shatenstein
Departement de Nutrition, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, QC Canada
J Nutr Health Aging 12:461-9. 2008..The report documents challenges encountered in assessing and counselling this clientele, and seeks to explain the outcome of intervention in these patients...
- Poor nutrient intakes during 1-year follow-up with community-dwelling older adults with early-stage Alzheimer dementia compared to cognitively intact matched controlsBryna Shatenstein
Department de Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Canada
J Am Diet Assoc 107:2091-9. 2007..To follow the natural evolution of dietary and nutrition status among elderly community-dwelling adults with Alzheimer dementia...
- Diet quality of Montreal-area adults needs improvement: estimates from a self-administered food frequency questionnaire furnishing a dietary indicator scoreBryna Shatenstein
Centre de la recherche, Institut Universitaire de Geriatrie de Montreal, QC, Canada
J Am Diet Assoc 105:1251-60. 2005..The US Department of Agriculture Healthy Eating Index (HEI) (maximum score=100) was adapted to Canadian age- and sex-specific dietary recommendations, validated, and programmed to score the FFQ for diet quality...
- Exploratory assessment of fish consumption among Asian-origin sportfishers on the St. Lawrence river in the montreal regionB Shatenstein
Santé au travail et Environnementale, 75 de Port Royal, Bureau 240, Montreal, Quebec, H3L 3T1, Canada
Environ Res 80:S57-S70. 1999..Lawrence sportfish...
- Determinants of diet quality among Quebecers aged 55-74B Shatenstein
Centre de Recherche, Institut Universitaire de Geriatrie de Montreal, 4565 Queen Mary, Montreal, QC, Canada H3W 1W5
J Nutr Health Aging 8:83-91. 2004....
- Weight change, nutritional risk and its determinants among cognitively intact and demented elderly CanadiansB Shatenstein
Centre de Recherche, Institut Universitaire de Geriatrie de Montreal, 4565 Queen Mary, Montreal, QC, H3W 1W5
Can J Public Health 92:143-9. 2001..These analyses support the importance of assessing dietary intakes, anthropometrics, well-being and environmental predictors of aging in the elderly...
- Anthropometric changes over 5 years in elderly Canadians by age, gender, and cognitive statusB Shatenstein
Centre de Recherche, Institut Universitaire de Geriatrie de Montreal, 4565 Queen Mary, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3W 1W5
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 56:M483-8. 2001....
- Reliability and relative validity of fish consumption data obtained in an exposure assessment study among Montreal-area sportfishersB Shatenstein
Régie régionale de la santé et des services sociaux de Montréal Centre, Santé au travail et Environnementale, 75 de Port Royal, Bureau 240, Montreal, Quebec, H3L 3T1, Canada
Environ Res 80:S71-S86. 1999..Overall, the results suggest that the main study instrument provides a reliable and relatively accurate indication of sportfishers' fishing practices, species selection, and sportfish consumption habits...
- An approach for evaluating lifelong intakes of functional foods in elderly peopleBryna Shatenstein
Centre de Recherche, Institut Universitaire de Geriatrie de Montreal, Montreal, Canada
J Nutr 133:2384-91. 2003..The FF-FFQ provides novel data on lifetime FF consumption that may help clarify relationships between diet and health, and the role of diet in aging...
- Validity of self-reported height and weight estimates in cognitively-intact and impaired elderly individualsH Payette
Centre de Recherche de l Institut Universitaire de Gériatrie de Sherbrooke, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Sherbrooke, 840 Papineau Street, Sherbrooke QC, Canada, J1E 1Z2
J Nutr Health Aging 4:223-8. 2000..Self-reported height and weight were tested as simple and non-invasive methods to efficiently screen individuals at risk...
- Challenges in managing the diet of older adults with early-stage Alzheimer dementia: a caregiver perspectiveP Silva
Departement de Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada
J Nutr Health Aging 17:142-7. 2013..Caregivers (CG) of older adults suffering from Alzheimer disease (AD) are confronted by many challenges when caring for their family member; these include dietary management...
- A case-control study of breast cancer and dietary intake of individual fatty acids and antioxidants in Montreal, CanadaA Nkondjock
Departement de Nutrition, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Que, Canada
Breast 12:128-35. 2003..46; 95% CI (1.12-5.39); P=0.024] when comparing the upper to the lower quartiles. The possible role of the interaction effect between arachidonic acid and vitamin E in breast cancer risk requires further investigation...
- Low vitamin K intakes in community-dwelling elders at an early stage of Alzheimer's diseaseNancy Presse
Departement de Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Canada
J Am Diet Assoc 108:2095-9. 2008..Despite their limitations, results are in line with the most recent research in both vitamin K and Alzheimer's disease and suggest a need to consider vitamin K in future investigations on the role of diet in Alzheimer's disease...
- Dietary transition stages based on eating patterns and diet quality among Haitians of Montreal, CanadaMarie Claude Désilets
Departement de Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, CP 6128 Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3C 1J7
Public Health Nutr 10:454-63. 2007..To identify dietary transition stages based on dietary patterns of adult Haitians having lived in Montreal for various lengths of time, and to assess associated dietary quality...
- Underreporting of energy intake from a self-administered food-frequency questionnaire completed by adults in MontrealDaniel Bedard
Centre de Recherche, Institut Universitaire de Geriatrie de Montreal, 4565 Queen Mary, Montreal, Quebec, H3W 1W5 Canada
Public Health Nutr 7:675-81. 2004..Energy intake determined from self-reported dietary assessment methods may be underreported. Therefore, it is important that such methods be validated against another with known validity for energy intake or energy expenditure...
- Diet quality among older Quebecers as assessed by simple indicatorsBryna Shatenstein
Centre de Recherche, Institut Universitaire de Geriatrie de Montreal, and Département de nutrition, Universite de Montreal, QC
Can J Diet Pract Res 64:174-80. 2003..Summary diet quality indicators are useful for tracking diet quality, and provide critical data for planning nutrition education programs targeting older persons...
- Nutrition as a determinant of successful aging: description of the Quebec longitudinal study Nuage and results from cross-sectional pilot studiesPierrette Gaudreau
Laboratory of Neuroendocrinology of Aging, Centre hospitalier de l Université de Montréal Research Center and Department of Medicine, Institut Universitaire de Geriatrie de Montreal, Canada
Rejuvenation Res 10:377-86. 2007..Understanding the aging process as regulated by a modifiable factor such as nutrition should facilitate the development of targeted strategies for promoting successful aging...
- Exercise and nutrition in older Canadian women: opportunities for community interventionCara Tannenbaum
Universite de Montreal, Centre de Recherche, Institut Universitaire de Geriatrie de Montreal, 4565 Queen Mary Road, Suite 7824, Montreal, QC H3W 1W5
Can J Public Health 98:187-93. 2007....
- Food choice motives and the importance of family meals among immigrant mothersMarie Marquis
Universite de Montreal, Faculte de Medecine, Departement de Nutrition, QC
Can J Diet Pract Res 66:77-82. 2005..05)...
- Evidence and implications for research and action--a summaryHelene Delisle
TRANSNUT, WHO Collaborating Centre on Nutrition Changes and Development, Department of Nutrition, Faculty of Medicine, Universite de Montreal, Downtown Station, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Matern Child Nutr 1:216-22. 2005
- Validation of a semi-quantitative food frequency questionnaire measuring dietary vitamin K intake in elderly peopleNancy Presse
Centre de Recherche, Institut universitaire de gériatrie de Montréal and Département de nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Canada
J Am Diet Assoc 109:1251-5. 2009..The vitamin K FFQ will be useful in large-scale, population-based research on vitamin K and disease as well as in clinical practice, especially that focusing on anticoagulant therapy...
- Development and validation of a food frequency questionnaireBryna Shatenstein
Centre de Recherche, Institut Universitaire de Geriatrie de Montreal, Departement de Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, PQ
Can J Diet Pract Res 66:67-75. 2005..These results suggest that the FFQ is a relatively valid instrument for determining usual diet in Quebec adults...
- Absence of cardiovascular benefits and sportfish consumption among St. Lawrence River anglersCatherine Godin
Departement de Medecine sociale et preventive, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Environ Res 93:241-7. 2003....
- Nutrition and breast cancer among sporadic cases and gene mutation carriers: an overviewVishnee Bissonauth
Faculty of Medicine, Department of Nutrition, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Cancer Detect Prev 32:52-64. 2008..The objective of this paper is to provide an overview of the effect of nutrition on breast cancer risk among gene mutation carriers as well as those with sporadic breast cancer...
- Assessment of risk associated with specific fatty acids and colorectal cancer among French-Canadians in Montreal: a case-control studyAndre Nkondjock
Departement de Nutrition, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Int J Epidemiol 32:200-9. 2003..Discrepancies in findings on the association between dietary fats and colorectal cancer (CRC) persist, and it is hypothesized that fatty acids (FA) may modulate CRC risk because of their physiological functions...
- Visual observation is a valid means of assessing dietary consumption among older adults with cognitive deficits in long-term care settingsBryna Shatenstein
Centre de Recherche, Institut universitaire de gériatrie de Montréal and Département de nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Am Diet Assoc 102:250-2. 2002
- Risk of breast cancer among French-Canadian women, noncarriers of more frequent BRCA1/2 mutations and consumption of total energy, coffee, and alcoholVishnee Bissonauth
Faculty of Medecine, Department of Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Breast J 15:S63-71. 2009..This study provides evidence that total energy intake, coffee, and alcohol consumption may play a role in breast cancer risk...
- An international trial of antioxidants in the prevention of preeclampsia (INTAPP)Hairong Xu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Hopital Ste Justine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada
Am J Obstet Gynecol 202:239.e1-239.e10. 2010..We sought to investigate whether prenatal vitamin C and E supplementation reduces the incidence of gestational hypertension (GH) and its adverse conditions among high- and low-risk women...
- Determinants of healthy eating in community-dwelling elderly peopleHélène Payette
Research Centre on Aging, Sherbrooke Geriatric University Institute, Sherbrooke
Can J Public Health 96:S27-31, S30-5. 2005..Further study is necessary to clarify contributors to healthy eating in order to permit the development and evaluation of programs and services designed to encourage and facilitate healthy eating in older Canadians...
- Dietary risk factors for testicular carcinomaMichael J Garner
R Samuel McLaughlin Center for Population Health Risk Assessment, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
Int J Cancer 106:934-41. 2003..87; 95% confidence interval [CI] 1.22-2.86; p-trend < 0.001), is associated with an elevated risk of testicular cancer in Canadian males...
- Can dietary fatty acids affect colon cancer risk? Reply to Leitzmann and GiovannucciAndre Nkondjock
Int J Epidemiol 32:879-80. 2003