Affiliation: Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute
- Integrin-linked kinase (ILK) is highly expressed in first trimester human chorionic villi and regulates migration of a human cytotrophoblast-derived cell lineP A Elustondo
Division of Basic Medical Sciences, Health Sciences Centre, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada A1B 3V6
Biol Reprod 74:959-68. 2006....
- Endoglin regulates trophoblast differentiation along the invasive pathway in human placental villous explantsI Caniggia
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Endocrinology 138:4977-88. 1997....
- Inhibition of TGF-beta 3 restores the invasive capability of extravillous trophoblasts in preeclamptic pregnanciesI Caniggia
Program in Fetal Health and Development, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Invest 103:1641-50. 1999..We speculate that a failure to downregulate expression of TGF-beta 3 at around 9 weeks' gestation results in shallow trophoblast invasion and predisposes the pregnancy to preeclampsia...
- Hypoxia-inducible factor-1 mediates the biological effects of oxygen on human trophoblast differentiation through TGFbeta(3)I Caniggia
Department of Pediatrics, The Hospital for Sick Children Research Institute, Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Invest 105:577-87. 2000..These data suggest that the oxygen-regulated early events of trophoblast differentiation are in part mediated by TGFbeta(3) through HIF-1 transcription factors...
- Oxygen and placental development during the first trimester: implications for the pathophysiology of pre-eclampsiaI Caniggia
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Placenta 21:S25-30. 2000..synthesis and degradation of extracellular matrix proteins and their receptors, and changes in the spatial distribution of extracellular matrix proteins, as well as changes in the expression of adhesion molecules (Damsky, Fitzgerald and..
- Adriana and Luisa Castellucci Award lecture 2001. Hypoxia inducible factor-1: oxygen regulation of trophoblast differentiation in normal and pre-eclamptic pregnancies--a reviewI Caniggia
Program in Development and Fetal Health, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mt Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Placenta 23:S47-57. 2002..This will prevent the normal TGFbeta3 down-regulation and will lead to poor trophoblast invasion predisposing the pregnancy to pre-eclampsia...
- Mechanisms of oxygen sensing in human trophoblast cellsC S De Marco
Program in Development and Fetal Health, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X5
Placenta 23:S58-68. 2002..Thus, this data supports a hypothesis that trophoblast cells may utilize mitochondria and/or hemoproteins as oxygen sensors to detect the critical changes in oxygen tension during pregnancy...
- Focal adhesion kinase is a key mediator of human trophoblast developmentD J Macphee
Program in Development and Fetal Health, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Program in Lung Biology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Physiology, University of Toronto, Mt. Sinai Hospital, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Lab Invest 81:1469-83. 2001..These data suggest that FAK is a key kinase involved in early trophoblast cell differentiation and plays a role in regulating cell proliferation and motility during early placental development...
- Mtd/Bok takes a swing: proapoptotic Mtd/Bok regulates trophoblast cell proliferation during human placental development and in preeclampsiaJ E Ray
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Canada
Cell Death Differ 17:846-59. 2010....
- A novel Mtd splice isoform is responsible for trophoblast cell death in pre-eclampsiaN Soleymanlou
Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X5
Cell Death Differ 12:441-52. 2005..We conclude that under conditions of reduced oxygenation/oxidative stress, Mtd-P causes trophoblast cell death in pre-eclampsia and hence may contribute to the molecular events leading to the clinical manifestations of this disease...
- The double life of MULE in preeclamptic and IUGR placentaeA Rolfo
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cell Death Dis 3:e305. 2012..The different preferential targets of MULE in PE and IUGR placentae classify early-onset PE and IUGR as distinct molecular pathologies...
- IFPA Trophoblast Research Award Lecture: the dynamic role of Bcl-2 family members in trophoblast cell fateJ Ray
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Placenta 30:S96-100. 2009..Disruption in Mtd/Mcl-1 expression seen in preeclampsia may contribute to both the increased apoptosis and hyperproliferative nature of this disorder...
- TGF-beta 3 expression during umbilical cord development and its alteration in pre-eclampsiaI B Copland
Programme in Development and Fetal Health, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mt Sinai Hospital, The Hospital for Sick Children Research Institute and Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Placenta 23:311-21. 2002..We speculate that the downregulation of TGF-beta 3 expression found in pre-eclamptic umbilical cord may contribute to the abnormal structure and mechanical properties seen in these pathological umbilical cords...
- Hypoxia favours necrotic versus apoptotic shedding of placental syncytiotrophoblast into the maternal circulationB Huppertz
Department of Anatomy, University Hospital RWTH Aachen, Germany
Placenta 24:181-90. 2003..Since uteroplacental ischaemia is a significant risk factor for pre-eclampsia, these findings may explain the link between reduced uteroplacental blood flow and the systemic clinical manifestations of this disease...
- In vitro models to study trophoblast function and dysfunction-- a workshop reportD W Morrish
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Placenta 23:S114-8. 2002
- Growth factors and trophoblast differentiation--workshop reportD W Morrish
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, 362 Heritage Medical Research Centre, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2S2, Canada
Placenta 28:S121-4. 2007
- Oxygen regulation of placental 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase 2: physiological and pathological implicationsN Alfaidy
Department of Physiology, Canadian Institutes for Health Research Group in Development and Fetal Health, University of Toronto Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 1A8
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:4797-805. 2002..3% O(2). No change in 11 beta-HSD1 expression was observed in early pregnancy or in PE. This is the first report to suggest that 11 beta-HSD2 is O(2) dependent in first and third trimester placenta during human gestation...
- There are many approaches to the culture of human trophoblast but few that facilitate study of complex interactions between fetal and maternal tissuesT Poehlmann
Placenta 25:357-8. 2004
- Human placental explants in culture: approaches and assessmentsR K Miller
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Rochester, School of Medicine and Dentistry, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, NY 14642 8668, USA
Placenta 26:439-48. 2005..Optimization of explant methods is examined for first and third trimester human placental tissue and the biological processes under investigation...