R D Andrew
Affiliation: Queen's University
- Potential sources of intrinsic optical signals imaged in live brain slicesR D Andrew
Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6, Canada
Methods 18:185-96, 179. 1999..5) While hyperosmotic conditions reduce LT by causing cells to shrink, excitotoxic conditions reduce LT by causing dendritic beading. This conformational change increases light scattering even as the tissue continues to swell...
- Physiological evidence that pyramidal neurons lack functional water channelsR David Andrew
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology and Centre for Neuroscience Studies, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7L 3N6
Cereb Cortex 17:787-802. 2007..However, these same neurons then swell dramatically upon oxygen/glucose deprivation or [K+]0 elevation, so prolonged depolarization (as during stroke or seizure) apparently swells neurons by opening nonaquaporin channels to water...
- Imaging anoxic depolarization during ischemia-like conditions in the mouse hemi-brain sliceI Joshi
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6, Canada
J Neurophysiol 85:414-24. 2001..Glutamate receptor antagonists neither block the AD in the ischemic core nor, we propose, block recurrent PID arising close to the core...
- Anoxic depolarization mediates acute damage independent of glutamate in neocortical brain slicesC R Jarvis
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7L 3N6
Cereb Cortex 11:249-59. 2001..Using this slice model, therapeutically tolerable drugs that block the AD and SD can be investigated...
- Magnetic resonance imaging of neuronal and glial swelling as an indicator of function in cerebral tissue slicesP W Stroman
Centre for Neuroscience Studies, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Magn Reson Med 59:700-6. 2008..These observations demonstrate the biophysical basis of the fMRI contrast mechanism that has been termed "signal enhancement by extravascular water protons," or SEEP...
- Whole isolated neocortical and hippocampal preparations and their use in imaging studiesMelissa L Davies
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology and The Centre for Neuroscience Studies, Queen s University, Kingston, Ont, Canada
J Neurosci Methods 166:203-16. 2007..Moreover the neurons undergo swelling with accompanying dendritic beading following AD induced by simulated ischemia, similar to cortical damage described in vivo...
- Structural abnormalities in neurons are sufficient to explain the clinical disease and fatal outcome of experimental rabies in yellow fluorescent protein-expressing transgenic miceCourtney A Scott
Health Sciences Centre, GF543, 820 Sherbrook Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
J Virol 82:513-21. 2008..We conclude that the observed structural changes are sufficient to explain the severe clinical disease with a fatal outcome in this experimental model of rabies...