Affiliation: Provincial Laboratory for Public Health (Microbiology
- A comparison of three real-time PCR assays for the confirmation of Neisseria gonorrhoeae following detection of N. gonorrhoeae using Roche COBAS AMPLICORL Chui
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Clin Microbiol Infect 14:473-9. 2008..It was concluded that the real-time PCR assay targeting the 16S rRNA gene is a useful confirmatory assay to complement the COBAS AMPLICOR screening test for N. gonorrhoeae...
- Evaluation of four DNA extraction methods for the detection of Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis by polymerase chain reactionLinda W Chui
Provincial Laboratory for Public Health Microbiology, University of Alberta Hospitals, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 48:39-45. 2004..MagaZorb proved to be more efficient at removing inhibitory factors and required the least labor and completion time. Further evaluation is required for its utilization in other clinical specimens...
- Immunological response to Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis in chickensLinda W Chui
Provincial Laboratory for Public Health Microbiology, University of Alberta Hospitals, Edmonton, Alberta
Can J Vet Res 68:302-8. 2004..The IgY produced from inactivated bacterial cells had no effect on its ability to recognize live Map cells as illustrated by immunofluorescence assay and immune capture PCR results...
- Changing epidemiology of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in Alberta, Canada: population-based surveillance, 2005-2008J Kim
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Epidemiol Infect 139:1009-18. 2011..The incidence of MRSA infection in Alberta has nearly doubled in the last 3 years; this is attributed to the emergence of CMRSA10 as the predominant strain. ..
- Donor-derived bacteremia in liver transplant recipients despite antibiotic prophylaxisK E Doucette
Transplant Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Am J Transplant 13:1080-3. 2013..As no transmissions occurred in recipients of nonhepatic organs from these donors, these cases also suggest that liver recipients may be at higher risk of donor transmitted bacteremia...
- Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia in patients receiving pegylated interferon-alpha and ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C virus infectionD Webster
Division of Infectious Diseases, Unviersity of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
J Viral Hepat 14:564-9. 2007..Additionally, IVDU and cirrhosis, but not neutropenia, are identified as potential risk factors for this uncommon complication of HCV therapy...
- Postsanatorium pattern of antituberculous drug resistance in the Canadian-born population of western Canada: effect of outpatient care and immigrationR Long
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Am J Epidemiol 153:903-11. 2001..The authors concluded that outpatient care and immigration have thus far had no measurable impact on the pattern of antituberculous drug resistance in the Canadian-born population of western CANADA:..
- An algorithm to detect Chlamydia trachomatis by polymerase chain reaction on specimens extracted for enzyme immunoassayL Chui
University of Alberta Hospital, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 32:185-90. 1998..This testing algorithm offers an effective way of detecting C. trachomatis with selective use of PCR while increasing the sensitivity of the EIA screening system...
- Immune mediated 'HAART' attack during treatment for tuberculosis. Highly active antiretroviral therapyD Y Kunimoto
Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of Alberta, Canada
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 3:944-7. 1999..After initiating HAART, clinicians should be aware of the possibility of an inflammatory response to a previously quiescent tuberculous infection, even while on antituberculosis therapy...
- Development of an immunocapture-polymerase chain reaction assay using IgY to detect Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosisLinda W Chui
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Can J Vet Res 74:102-7. 2010..No PCR inhibition was observed with DNA from the organisms captured with use of the MagaCell-IgY beads...
- Shiga-toxigenic Escherichia coli detection in stool samples screened for viral gastroenteritis in Alberta, CanadaMarc Roger Couturier
Alberta Provincial Laboratory for Public Health, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2J2, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 49:574-8. 2011..Furthermore, atypical diarrhea disease caused by non-O157 STEC can be routinely missed due to screening only for viral agents...