Genomes and Genes
- Metabolic signaling in fuel-induced insulin secretionMarc Prentki
Molecular Nutrition Unit, Centre de Recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l UniversitÃ© de MontrÃ©al, QC, Canada
Cell Metab 18:162-85. 2013....
- Glycerolipid/free fatty acid cycle and islet β-cell function in health, obesity and diabetesMarc Prentki
Departments of Nutrition and Biochemistry, University of Montreal, Montreal Diabetes Research Center, CR CHUM, Technopole Angus, 2901, Montreal, Canada QC H1W 4A4
Mol Cell Endocrinol 353:88-100. 2012....
- Malonyl-CoA signaling, lipid partitioning, and glucolipotoxicity: role in beta-cell adaptation and failure in the etiology of diabetesMarc Prentki
Molecular Nutrition Unit, Department of Nutrition, University of Montreal, the Centre de Recherche du CHUM, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Diabetes 51:S405-13. 2002....
- Glycerolipid metabolism and signaling in health and diseaseMarc Prentki
Departments of Nutrition and Biochemistry, University of Montreal, Montreal Diabetes Research Center, CR CHUM, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H1W 4A4
Endocr Rev 29:647-76. 2008..Finally, we present a perspective of the possible therapeutic implications of targeting this cycling...
- Beta-cell failure in diet-induced obese mice stratified according to body weight gain: secretory dysfunction and altered islet lipid metabolism without steatosis or reduced beta-cell massMarie Line Peyot
Montreal Diabetes Research Center and CRCHUM, Montreal, QC, Canada
Diabetes 59:2178-87. 2010..C57Bl/6 mice develop obesity and mild hyperglycemia when fed a high-fat diet (HFD). Although diet-induced obesity (DIO) is a widely studied model of type 2 diabetes, little is known about beta-cell failure in these mice...
- Adipose triglyceride lipase is implicated in fuel- and non-fuel-stimulated insulin secretionMarie Line Peyot
Molecular Nutrition Unit and Montreal Diabetes Research Center, Centre de recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec H1W4A4, Canada
J Biol Chem 284:16848-59. 2009..The results demonstrate the importance of ATGL and intracellular lipid signaling for fuel- and non-fuel-induced insulin secretion...
- Pioglitazone acutely reduces insulin secretion and causes metabolic deceleration of the pancreatic beta-cell at submaximal glucose concentrationsJulien Lamontagne
Department of Nutrition and Biochemistry, Molecular Nutrition Unit and Montreal Diabetes Research Center, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Endocrinology 150:3465-74. 2009..We suggest that AMPK activation and the metabolic deceleration of the beta-cell caused by Pio contribute to its known effects to reduce hyperinsulinemia and preserve beta-cell function and act as an antidiabetic agent...
- Pioglitazone acutely reduces energy metabolism and insulin secretion in ratsJulien Lamontagne
Molecular Nutrition Unit and Montreal Diabetes Research Center at the Centre de Recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Diabetes 62:2122-9. 2013..The results suggest that pioglitazone has direct metabolic deceleration effects on the β-cell that may contribute to its capacity to lower insulinemia and antidiabetic action...
- Upregulation of cellular triacylglycerol - free fatty acid cycling by oleate is associated with long-term serum-free survival of human breast cancer cellsEwa Przybytkowski
Molecular Nutrition Unit, Montreal Diabetes Research Center, Centre de recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal and Institut du cancer de Montréal, Montreal, QC, Canada
Biochem Cell Biol 85:301-10. 2007..The results suggest that upregulation of TG-FFA cycling induced by oleate may be involved in maintenance of human breast cancer cell survival...
- Selected plant species from the Cree pharmacopoeia of northern Quebec possess anti-diabetic potentialDanielle C A Spoor
Department of Pharmacology, Universite de Montreal, P O Box 6128, Centre Ville Station, Montreal, QC H3C 3J7, Canada
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 84:847-58. 2006..None of the plant extracts enhanced GSIS or insulin content in INS 832/13 beta cells. It is concluded that the Cree pharmacopoeia contains several plants with significant anti-diabetic potential...
- Glucagon-like peptide-1 induced signaling and insulin secretion do not drive fuel and energy metabolism in primary rodent pancreatic beta-cellsMarie Line Peyot
Molecular Nutrition Unit and Montreal Diabetes Research Center at the Centre de Recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal and Department of Nutrition and Biochemistry, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
PLoS ONE 4:e6221. 2009..In many cells these signals activate intermediary metabolism. However, it is not clear whether the acute amplification of GSIS by GLP-1 involves in part metabolic alterations and the production of metabolic coupling factors...
- Hormone-sensitive lipase has a role in lipid signaling for insulin secretion but is nonessential for the incretin action of glucagon-like peptide 1Marie Line Peyot
Molecular Nutrition Unit, Department of Nutrition, University of Montréal and the Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Diabetes 53:1733-42. 2004..Our results support the view that the availability of endogenous FFA through HSL and an additional enzyme(s) is involved in providing lipid moieties for beta-cell signaling for secretion in response to glucose...
- Obese mice lacking inducible nitric oxide synthase are sensitized to the metabolic actions of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma agonismPatrice Dallaire
Department of Anatomy and Physiology, Laval University, Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Diabetes 57:1999-2011. 2008..In this study, we tested whether targeted disruption of inducible nitric oxide (NO) synthase (iNOS), a key inflammatory mediator in obesity, modulates the metabolic effects of rosiglitazone in obese mice...
- Evaluation of the antidiabetic potential of selected medicinal plant extracts from the Canadian boreal forest used to treat symptoms of diabetes: part IIDespina Harbilas
Department of Pharmacology, Universite de Montreal, Centre Ville Station, Montreal, QC H3C 3J7, Canada
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 87:479-92. 2009..The present study revealed that Gaultheria hispidula, Rhododendron tomentosum, and Vaccinium vitis-idaea exhibit a promising profile of antidiabetic potential and are good candidates for more in-depth evaluation...
- A role for cytosolic isocitrate dehydrogenase as a negative regulator of glucose signaling for insulin secretion in pancreatic ß-cellsClaudiane Guay
Molecular Nutrition Unit and the Montreal Diabetes Research Center at the Centre de Recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal, CR CHUM, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
PLoS ONE 8:e77097. 2013..The results identify IDHc as a component of the emerging pathways that negatively regulate GIIS. ..
- Deletion of GPR40 impairs glucose-induced insulin secretion in vivo in mice without affecting intracellular fuel metabolism in isletsThierry Alquier
Montreal Diabetes Research Center, Research Centre of the Montréal University Hospital, University of Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada
Diabetes 58:2607-15. 2009..This study was aimed to ascertain whether GPR40 controls insulin secretion in vivo and modulates intracellular fuel metabolism in islets...
- Short-chain 3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase is a negative regulator of insulin secretion in response to fuel and non-fuel stimuli in INS832/13 β-cellsEmilie Pepin
Montreal Diabetes Research Center, CRCHUM, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Diabetes 2:157-67. 2010..In the present study, we investigated the mechanism underlying HADHSC-mediated regulation of insulin secretion...
- Oleate promotes the proliferation of breast cancer cells via the G protein-coupled receptor GPR40Serge Hardy
Molecular Nutrition Unit, Centre de recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Biol Chem 280:13285-91. 2005..The results suggest that GPR40 is implicated in the control of breast cancer cell growth by fatty acids and that GPR40 may provide a link between fat and cancer...
- Saturated fatty acids synergize with elevated glucose to cause pancreatic beta-cell deathWissal El-Assaad
Department of Nutrition, University of Montreal, Quebec, Canada H2L 4MI
Endocrinology 144:4154-63. 2003..The results support the glucolipotoxicity hypothesis of beta-cell failure proposing that elevated FFAs are particularly toxic in the context of hyperglycemia...
- Voluntary running exercise prevents β-cell failure in susceptible islets of the Zucker diabetic fatty ratViviane Delghingaro-Augusto
Molecular Nutrition Unit and the Montreal Diabetes Research Center, Research Center of the University of Montreal Hospital Center, University of Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 302:E254-64. 2012..Depletion of pancreatic islet insulin stores is a major contributor to islet failure in this T2D model, preventable by physical activity...
- Glucolipotoxicity alters lipid partitioning and causes mitochondrial dysfunction, cholesterol, and ceramide deposition and reactive oxygen species production in INS832/13 ss-cellsWissal El-Assaad
Molecular Nutrition Unit and the Montreal Diabetes Research Center, the Centre de Recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H1W 4A4
Endocrinology 151:3061-73. 2010..The data also suggest that the early promotion of lipid esterification processes is instrumental in the Gltox process...
- A pentadecapeptide fragment of islet neogenesis-associated protein increases beta-cell mass and reverses diabetes in C57BL/6J miceLawrence Rosenberg
Department of Surgery, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ann Surg 240:875-84. 2004....
- A role for ATP-citrate lyase, malic enzyme, and pyruvate/citrate cycling in glucose-induced insulin secretionClaudiane Guay
Molecular Nutrition Unit, Montreal Diabetes Research Center, Centre de recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec H1W 4A4, Canada
J Biol Chem 282:35657-65. 2007..Taken together, the results underscore the importance of pyruvate/citrate cycling in pancreatic beta-cell metabolic signaling and the regulation of GIIS...
- Epidermal growth factor receptor signaling promotes pancreatic β-cell proliferation in response to nutrient excess in rats through mTOR and FOXM1Bader Zarrouki
Montreal Diabetes Research Center, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Diabetes 63:982-93. 2014..We conclude that chronic nutrient excess promotes β-cell mass expansion via a pathway that involves EGFR signaling, mTOR activation, and FOXM1-mediated cell proliferation. ..
- Glucose represses PPARα gene expression via AMP-activated protein kinase but not via p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in the pancreatic β-cellErik Joly
Montreal Diabetes Research Center and CRCHUM, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Diabetes 1:263-72. 2009..We have examined the mechanism whereby glucose decreases PPARα gene expression in the pancreatic β-cell...
- α/β-Hydrolase domain-6-accessible monoacylglycerol controls glucose-stimulated insulin secretionShangang Zhao
Molecular Nutrition Unit and Montreal Diabetes Research Center, CRCHUM, and Departments of Nutrition, Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine, Universite de Montreal, Montréal H2X 0A9, Canada
Cell Metab 19:993-1007. 2014..Monoacylglycerol binds and activates the vesicle priming protein Munc13-1, thereby inducing insulin exocytosis. We propose saturated monoacylglycerol as a signal for GSIS and ABHD6 as a negative modulator of insulin secretion...
- A role for the malonyl-CoA/long-chain acyl-CoA pathway of lipid signaling in the regulation of insulin secretion in response to both fuel and nonfuel stimuliRaphael Roduit
Molecular Nutrition Unit, Department of Nutrition, University of Montréal and the Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Diabetes 53:1007-19. 2004..The data show the existence of important links between the metabolic coupling factor malonyl-CoA, the partitioning of fatty acids, and the stimulation of insulin secretion to both fuel and nonfuel stimuli...
- Adenosine 5'-monophosphate-activated protein kinase and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase participate in the stimulation of glucose uptake by dinitrophenol in adult cardiomyocytesAmélie Pelletier
Montreal Diabetes Research Centre, Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal and the Department of Medicine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H2W 1T7
Endocrinology 146:2285-94. 2005....
- Circulating lipids are lowered but pancreatic islet lipid metabolism and insulin secretion are unaltered in exercise-trained female ratsJulien Lamontagne
Molecular Nutrition Unit and the Montreal Diabetes Research Center, Université de Montréal and the Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal, Montreal, QC H2L 4M1, Canada
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 32:241-8. 2007..Training did, however, substantially reduce the exposure of islets to exogenous lipid, thereby providing a potential mechanism by which exercise can prevent islet beta-cell failure leading to T2D...
- β-Arrestin1-mediated recruitment of c-Src underlies the proliferative action of glucagon-like peptide-1 in pancreatic β INS832/13 cellsJason Talbot
Department of Medicine, Université Laval and CRIUCPQ, Quebec, QC, Canada
Mol Cell Endocrinol 364:65-70. 2012..We propose that the formation of a signaling complex comprising the agonist-stimulated GLP-1R, β-arrestin1 and c-Src is required for the action of GLP-1 on β-cell mass...
- Increased subcutaneous adipose tissue expression of genes involved in glycerolipid-Fatty Acid cycling in obese insulin-resistant versus -sensitive individualsMarie Soleil Gauthier
Institut de Recherches Cliniques de Montréal M S G, J R P, M E L, B C, R R L, Montreal, QC H2W 1R7, Canada Montreal Diabetes Research Center at the Centre de Recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal CRCHUM M S G, M E L, R S, S R M M, M P, R R L, Montreal, QC H2X 0A9, Canada McGill University and Centre d Innovation Génome Québec R S, Montreal, QC H3A 0G1, Canada Molecular Nutrition Unit at the CRCHUM S R M M, M P, Montreal, QC H2X 0A9, Canada Diabetes and Metabolism Research Unit N B R, and Department of Medicine and Section of Endocrinology N B R, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118 Departments of Biochemistry B C, M P and Nutrition M E L, M P, R R L, Faculty of Medicine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, QC H3C 3J7, Canada
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 99:E2518-28. 2014..Altered fatty-acid (FA) metabolism in sc adipose tissue (SAT) contributes to obesity-associated IR...
- Anti-diabetic properties of the Canadian lowbush blueberry Vaccinium angustifolium AitLouis C Martineau
Department of Pharmacology and Membrane Protein Study Group, Universite de Montreal, and Montreal Diabetes Research Center, Centre de recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, QC, Canada
Phytomedicine 13:612-23. 2006..Enhancement of proliferation in beta cells may represent another potential anti-diabetic property. Extracts of the Canadian blueberry thus show promise for use as a complementary anti-diabetic therapy...
- Malonyl-CoA decarboxylase is present in the cytosolic, mitochondrial and peroxisomal compartments of rat hepatocytesErik Joly
Molecular Nutrition Unit and the Montreal Diabetes Research Center, Centre de Recherche du CHUM, Pavillon de Sève, Y 4603, 1560 Sherbrooke Est, and the Department of Nutrition and Biochemistry, Universite de Montreal, Montreal PQ, Canada, H3T 1C5
FEBS Lett 579:6581-6. 2005....
- Genetic variant near IRS1 is associated with type 2 diabetes, insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemiaJohan Rung
McGill University and Genome Quebec Innovation Centre, Montreal, Canada
Nat Genet 41:1110-5. 2009....
- Saturated fatty acid-induced apoptosis in MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells. A role for cardiolipinSerge Hardy
Molecular Nutrition Unit, Centre de recherche du Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, and the Institut du Cancer de Montréal, Universite de Montreal, Quebec H2L 4M1, Canada
J Biol Chem 278:31861-70. 2003..They also suggest that the antiapoptotic action of oleate on palmitate-induced cell death involves both restoration of cardiolipin levels and redirection of palmitate esterification processes to triglycerides...
- Mitochondrial acetylcarnitine provides acetyl groups for nuclear histone acetylationPadma Madiraju
Laboratory of Intermediary Metabolism, Clinical Research Institute of Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada
Epigenetics 4:399-403. 2009....
- Glucagon-like peptide 1 induces pancreatic beta-cell proliferation via transactivation of the epidermal growth factor receptorJean Buteau
Molecular Nutrition Unit, Departments of Nutrition and Biochemistry, University of Montreal, the Centre de Recherche du CHUM and Institut du Cancer, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Diabetes 52:124-32. 2003....
- Association of AMP-activated protein kinase subunits with glycogen particles as revealed in situ by immunoelectron microscopyMoise Bendayan
Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Histochem Cytochem 57:963-71. 2009..Immunogold combined with morphometric analysis demonstrated that the beta(1) subunits are located at the periphery of the glycogen rosettes, consistent with a recent hypothesis developed via biochemical approaches...
- Islet beta cell failure in type 2 diabetesMarc Prentki
Molecular Nutrition Unit and Montreal Diabetes Research Center, University of Montreal and Centre Hospitalier de l Université de Montréal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Clin Invest 116:1802-12. 2006..The likely mechanisms of beta cell failure are discussed within the two broad categories: those with initiation and those with progression roles...
- Alteration of the malonyl-CoA/carnitine palmitoyltransferase I interaction in the beta-cell impairs glucose-induced insulin secretionLaura Herrero
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Pharmacy, University of Barcelona, Diagonal 643, E 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Diabetes 54:462-71. 2005..The results provide direct support for the hypothesis that the malonyl-CoA/CPTI interaction is a component of a metabolic signaling network that controls insulin secretion...
- Pancreatic islet adaptation to fasting is dependent on peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha transcriptional up-regulation of fatty acid oxidationSandrine Gremlich
Center for Integrative Genomics, University of Lausanne, Switzerland
Endocrinology 146:375-82. 2005....
- Mitochondrial dysfunction is involved in apoptosis induced by serum withdrawal and fatty acids in the beta-cell line INS-1Isabel Maestre
Instituto de Bioingeniería Division of Nutrition, University Miguel Hernandez, San Juan, 03550 Alicante, Spain
Endocrinology 144:335-45. 2003....
- AMP kinase and malonyl-CoA: targets for therapy of the metabolic syndromeNeil Ruderman
Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine and Diabetes Unit, Section of Endocrinology, Boston Medical Center, 715 Albany Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Nat Rev Drug Discov 3:340-51. 2004
- Role for activating transcription factor 3 in stress-induced beta-cell apoptosisMatthew G Hartman
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, Center for Molecular Neurobiology, Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
Mol Cell Biol 24:5721-32. 2004..Taken together, our results suggest ATF3 to be a novel regulator of stress-induced beta-cell apoptosis...
- Succinate is a preferential metabolic stimulus-coupling signal for glucose-induced proinsulin biosynthesis translationCristina Alarcon
Pacific Northwest Research Institute, Seattle, Washington 98122, USA
Diabetes 51:2496-504. 2002..Thus, succinate and/or succinyl-CoA appear to be preferential metabolic stimulus-coupling factors for glucose-induced proinsulin biosynthesis translation...
- Hormone-sensitive lipase knockout mice have increased hepatic insulin sensitivity and are protected from short-term diet-induced insulin resistance in skeletal muscle and heartSo Young Park
Department of Internal Medicine, Section of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8020, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 289:E30-9. 2005..Overall, these findings demonstrate the important role of HSL on skeletal muscle, heart, and liver glucose metabolism...
- Role of transcription factor KLF11 and its diabetes-associated gene variants in pancreatic beta cell functionBernadette Neve
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Unité Mixte de Recherche 8090, Institute Pasteur de Lille, F 59019 Lille, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:4807-12. 2005..Thus, both functional and genetic analyses reveal that KLF11 plays a role in the regulation of pancreatic beta cell physiology, and its variants may contribute to the development of diabetes...
- AMP-activated protein kinase and coordination of hepatic fatty acid metabolism of starved/carbohydrate-refed ratsMurwarid M Assifi
Diabetes and Metabolism Unit, Boston Univ Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 289:E794-800. 2005..They also suggest that the changes in these enzymes, and later occurring increases in enzymes regulating fatty acid and glycerolipid synthesis, could be coordinated by AMPK...
- Regulation of lipolytic activity by long-chain acyl-coenzyme A in islets and adipocytesLiping Hu
Obesity Research Center, Boston University School of Medicine, 650 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 289:E1085-92. 2005..Together, these opposite actions of LC-CoA lower circulating fat by inhibiting its release from adipocytes and promoting fat storage via insulin action...
- A role for hypothalamic malonyl-CoA in the control of food intakeZhiyuan Hu
Department of Biological Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Biol Chem 280:39681-3. 2005..c.v.-administered C75, a fatty acid synthase inhibitor that increases hypothalamic [malonyl-CoA]. Taken together these findings implicate malonyl-CoA in the hypothalamic regulation of feeding behavior...
- Munc13-1 deficiency reduces insulin secretion and causes abnormal glucose toleranceEdwin P Kwan
Department of Physiology, University of Toronto, Medical Sciences Building Rm 7226, 1 King s College Circle, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8, Canada
Diabetes 55:1421-9. 2006....
- Fatty acid signaling in the beta-cell and insulin secretionChristopher J Nolan
Department of Endocrinology, Canberra Hospital, Australia
Diabetes 55:S16-23. 2006..Improved knowledge of lipid signaling in the beta-cell will allow a better understanding of the mechanisms of beta-cell compensation and failure in diabetes...
- Glucose and leptin induce apoptosis in human beta-cells and impair glucose-stimulated insulin secretion through activation of c-Jun N-terminal kinasesKathrin Maedler
Larry L Hillblom Islet Research Center, University of California, Los Angeles, California, USA
FASEB J 22:1905-13. 2008..Therefore, JNK inhibition may protect beta-cells from the deleterious effects of high glucose and leptin in diabetes...