Affiliation: Ottawa Health Research Institute
- Dumont N, Rudnicki M. Characterizing Satellite Cells and Myogenic Progenitors During Skeletal Muscle Regeneration. Methods Mol Biol. 2017;1560:179-188 pubmed publisher..Here, we describe a method for immunodetection of satellite cells and their myogenic progeny in resting and regenerating skeletal muscles. ..
- Sincennes M, Brun C, Rudnicki M. Concise Review: Epigenetic Regulation of Myogenesis in Health and Disease. Stem Cells Transl Med. 2016;5:282-90 pubmed publisher..The potential of epigenetic drugs, such as HDAC inhibitors, as well as their molecular mechanism of action in muscle cells, will be addressed. ..
- Kuroda K, Kuang S, Taketo M, Rudnicki M. Canonical Wnt signaling induces BMP-4 to specify slow myofibrogenesis of fetal myoblasts. Skelet Muscle. 2013;3:5 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate a novel interaction between canonical Wnt and BMP signaling that induces myogenic differentiation towards slow muscle phenotype. ..
- Brun C, Rudnicki M. GDF11 and the Mythical Fountain of Youth. Cell Metab. 2015;22:54-6 pubmed publisher..In this issue, Egerman etÂ al. (2015) re-investigate the activity of GDF11 in myogenesis, recently suggested as an anti-aging agent, and instead find a potent inhibitory effect on skeletal muscle regeneration. ..
- Chang N, Rudnicki M. Satellite cells: the architects of skeletal muscle. Curr Top Dev Biol. 2014;107:161-81 pubmed publisher..Delineation of cellular hierarchy and understanding how lineage fate choices are determined within the satellite cell population will be invaluable for the advancement of muscle regenerative therapies. ..
- Hailesellasse Sene K, Porter C, Palidwor G, Perez Iratxeta C, Muro E, Campbell P, et al. Gene function in early mouse embryonic stem cell differentiation. BMC Genomics. 2007;8:85 pubmed..The data generated constitute a valuable resource for further studies. All DNA microarray data used in this study are available in the StemBase database of stem cell gene expression data 1 and in the NCBI's GEO database. ..
- Pasut A, Chang N, Gurriaran Rodriguez U, Faulkes S, Yin H, Lacaria M, et al. Notch Signaling Rescues Loss of Satellite Cells Lacking Pax7 and Promotes Brown Adipogenic Differentiation. Cell Rep. 2016;16:333-343 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results show that Notch1 activation compensates for the loss of Pax7 in the quiescent state and acts as a molecular switch toÂ promote brown adipogenesis in adult skeletal muscle. ..
- Huh M, Parker M, Scime A, Parks R, Rudnicki M. Rb is required for progression through myogenic differentiation but not maintenance of terminal differentiation. J Cell Biol. 2004;166:865-76 pubmed..Therefore, Rb plays a crucial role in the switch from proliferation to differentiation rather than maintenance of the terminally differentiated state. ..
- Brun C, Wang Y, Rudnicki M. Single EDL Myofiber Isolation for Analyses of Quiescent and Activated Muscle Stem Cells. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1686:149-159 pubmed publisher..Here, we describe a protocol to isolate single myofibers from the extensor digitorum longus muscle. Moreover, we detail experimental conditions for analyzing satellite cells in quiescence and progression through the myogenic lineage. ..