Annette M O'Connor
Affiliation: Ottawa Health Research Institute
- Does training family physicians in shared decision making promote optimal use of antibiotics for acute respiratory infections? Study protocol of a pilot clustered randomised controlled trialFrance Legare
Research Centre of the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Québec, Quebec, Canada
BMC Fam Pract 8:65. 2007....
- Toward the 'tipping point': decision aids and informed patient choiceAnnette M O'Connor
School of Nursing and Department of Epidemiology and Community Medicine, University of Ottawa
Health Aff (Millwood) 26:716-25. 2007..This paper discusses progress in implementing decision aids and the policy prospects for reaching a "tipping point" in the adoption of "informed patient choice" as a standard of practice...
- Modifying unwarranted variations in health care: shared decision making using patient decision aidsAnnette M O'Connor
University of Ottawa Ontario
Health Aff (Millwood) . 2004..However, barriers to their widespread use need to be addressed with coherent plans for ensuring good standards, improving access to PtDAs, training practitioners, testing practice models, and launching demonstration projects...
- Risk communication in practice: the contribution of decision aidsAnnette M O'Connor
Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa Hospital, Civic Campus, C4 1053 Carling Ave, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1Y 4E9
BMJ 327:736-40. 2003
- A survey of the decision-making needs of Canadians faced with complex health decisionsAnnette M O'Connor
University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Health Expect 6:97-109. 2003....
- Barriers and facilitators influencing call center nurses' decision support for callers facing values-sensitive decisions: a mixed methods studyDawn Stacey
University of Ottawa, School of Nursing, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Worldviews Evid Based Nurs 2:184-95. 2005..For these decisions, effective interventions are evidence-based patient decision aids and in-person nurse coaching using a structured process. Little is known about the quality of decision support provided by call center nurses...
- The effect of decision aids on the agreement between women's and physicians' decisional conflict about hormone replacement therapyFrance Legare
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Ottawa Hospital, Civic Campus C4, 1053 Carling Avenue, Ont, K1Y 4E9, Ottawa, Canada
Patient Educ Couns 50:211-21. 2003..41 (95% CI=-0.04 to 0.72) and 0.06 (95% CI=-0.41 to 0.49), respectively. Compared to pamphlets, DAs appear to improve the agreement between women's and physicians' decisional conflict about HRT...
- Presenting evidence to patients online: what do web users think of consumer summaries of cochrane musculoskeletal reviews?Jamie C Brehaut
Clinical Epidemiology Program, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, ON, Canada
J Med Internet Res 13:e5. 2011....
- Personal stories in publicly available patient decision aidsSara Khangura
Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa, Canada
Patient Educ Couns 73:456-64. 2008..To characterize the use of personal stories in publicly available patient decision aids (PtDAs)...
- Physicians' intentions and use of three patient decision aidsIan D Graham
Ottawa Health Research Institute, Clinical Epidemiology Program, Ottawa, ON, Canada
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 7:20. 2007..The purpose of this study was to describe physicians' perceptions of three decision aids, their expressed intent to use them, and their subsequent use of them...
- Validation of a tool to assess health practitioners' decision support and communication skillsPierrette Guimond
Faculty of Health Sciences, School of Nursing, University of Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Patient Educ Couns 50:235-45. 2003..05) or trends (P<0.15) in discrimination between the decision aid and pamphlet groups. The DSAT shows promise as a reliable and valid evaluation tool but requires further testing with larger samples...
- Audit and feedback using the brief Decision Support Analysis Tool (DSAT-10) to evaluate nurse-standardized patient encountersDawn Stacey
School of Nursing, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Patient Educ Couns 73:519-25. 2008..To evaluate the brief Decision Support Analysis Tool (DSAT-10) for auditing the quality of nurse-standardized patient encounters, structuring feedback for nurses, and testing instrument reliability...
- Randomized controlled trial of the effectiveness of an intervention to implement evidence-based patient decision support in a nursing call centreDawn Stacey
School of Nursing, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
J Telemed Telecare 12:410-5. 2006..The intervention improved the quality of nurses' decision coaching without affecting call duration...
- Understanding and overcoming the barriers of implementing patient decision aids in clinical practiceSiobhan O'Donnell
Clinical Epidemiology Program, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Eval Clin Pract 12:174-81. 2006..This report is based on our interpretation of the literature and our collective experience in implementing ptDAs within trials and other contexts...
- Validation of a preparation for decision making scaleCarol Bennett
Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Clinical Epidemiology Program, Administrative Services Building, Room 2 013, 1053 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, ON K1Y 4E9, Canada
Patient Educ Couns 78:130-3. 2010..The objective of this study was to evaluate the scale's psychometric properties...
- What factors are associated with a woman's decision to take hormone replacement therapy? Evaluated in the context of a decision aidHeather D Clark
Department of Medicine, Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Health Expect 6:110-7. 2003....
- Development and evaluation of a breast cancer prevention decision aid for higher-risk womenDawn Stacey
Population Health Program, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
Health Expect 6:3-18. 2003..To develop and evaluate the effectiveness of a breast cancer prevention decision aid for women aged 50 and older at higher risk of breast cancer...
- Validation of a decision regret scaleJamie C Brehaut
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa Hospital, Civic Campus, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Med Decis Making 23:281-92. 2003..As patients become more involved in health care decisions, there may be greater opportunity for decision regret. The authors could not find a validated, reliable tool for measuring regret after health care decisions...
- Do patient decision aids meet effectiveness criteria of the international patient decision aid standards collaboration? A systematic review and meta-analysisAnnette M O'Connor
Ottawa Health Research Institute, Canada
Med Decis Making 27:554-74. 2007..To describe the extent to which patient decision aids (PtDAs) meet effectiveness standards of the International Patient Decision Aids Collaboration (IPDAS)...
- Development and pilot testing of a decision aid for postmenopausal women with osteoporosisAnn Cranney
Department of Medicine, Ottawa Hospital, C4 CEU, 1053 Carling Avenue, Ontario, Canada K1Y4 E9
Patient Educ Couns 47:245-55. 2002..Our decision aid shows promise in preparing women for counseling about osteoporosis therapies. Long-term adherence to chosen therapy and quality of life will be evaluated in a randomized controlled trial...
- The effect of qualitative vs. quantitative presentation of probability estimates on patient decision-making: a randomized trialMalcolm Man-Son-Hing
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Loeb Health Research Institute, Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Canada
Health Expect 5:246-55. 2002....
- Knowledge transfer to clinicians and consumers by the Cochrane Musculoskeletal GroupNancy Santesso
Cochrane Musculoskeletal Group, Institute of Population Health, University of Ottawa, 1 Stewart Street, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Rheumatol 33:2312-8. 2006..Both clinicians and consumers can use these products to use evidence-based information in individual and shared decision-making...
- Responsiveness of the Effective Consumer Scale (EC-17)Nancy Santesso
Cochrane Musculoskeletal Group and the Epidemiology Unit, Ottawa Health Research Institute, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
J Rheumatol 36:2087-91. 2009..The Effective Consumer Scale (EC-17) comprises 17 items measuring the main skills and behaviors people need to effectively manage their healthcare. We tested the responsiveness of the EC-17...
- Reporting of methodological features in observational studies of pre-harvest food safetyJan M Sargeant
Centre for Public Health and Zoonoses, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Prev Vet Med 98:88-98. 2011..Improvement in reporting of observational studies of pre-harvest food safety will aid research readers and reviewers in interpreting and evaluating the results of such studies...
- The myth of informed consent in rectal cancer surgery: what do patients retain?Adena S Scheer
Department of Surgery, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Dis Colon Rectum 55:970-5. 2012..Previous research in colorectal cancer has focused on survival, recurrence, and functional outcomes. Few have assessed the decisional needs of patients or the information patients are retaining from the informed consent process...
- Decision support needs of patients choosing between unicompartmental and total knee arthroplasty for advanced medial compartment osteoarthritis of the kneePrateek J Khatri
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Arthroplasty 26:1343-9. 2011..Thus, most patients choosing between unicompartmental knee arthroplasty and total knee arthroplasty would appreciate and benefit from a decision support intervention...
- Methodological quality assessment of review articles evaluating interventions to improve microbial food safetyJan M Sargeant
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Foodborne Pathog Dis 3:447-56. 2006..There is a need to improve the methodological quality of review articles on microbial food safety interventions if they are to be of use in policy and decision making...
- Skills training to support patients considering place of end-of-life care: a randomized control trialMary Ann Murray
School of Nursing, University of Ottawa, 53 Woodhill Crescent, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1B 3B7
J Palliat Care 26:112-21. 2010..Improvements in the quality of decision support can be made by providing training and practical tools such as a patient decision aid...
- Helping healthcare workers decide: evaluation of an influenza immunization decision toolAnne E McCarthy
The Ottawa Hospital, General Campus G 12, Division of Infectious Diseases, 501 Smyth Rd, Box 223, Ottawa, ON, K1H 8L6, Canada
Can J Infect Control 25:21-4. 2010..This study is an important step towards evaluating the usefulness of the OIDA within prevention campaigns. Recommendations include evaluation of the OIDA by incorporating it into large-scale influenza immunization campaigns...