Gonzalo G Alvarez
Affiliation: Ottawa Health Research Institute
- A model to rule out smear-negative tuberculosis among symptomatic HIV patients using C-reactive proteinG G Alvarez
Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, University of Ottawa, Division of Respirology and Infectious Diseases, The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 16:1247-51. 2012..Improved diagnostic algorithms for sputum smear-negative tuberculosis (SNTB) are needed to address the dramatic increase in SNTB in regions with high human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) prevalence...
- A comparative examination of tuberculosis immigration medical screening programs from selected countries with high immigration and low tuberculosis incidence ratesGonzalo G Alvarez
Divisions of Respirology and Infectious Diseases, University of Ottawa at The Ottawa Hospital, The Ottawa Health Research Institute, 501 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
BMC Infect Dis 11:3. 2011..The present study aimed to compare the TB immigration medical examination requirements in selected countries of high immigration and low TB incidence rates...
- A systematic review of the psychological risk factors associated with near fatal asthma or fatal asthmaG G Alvarez
Ottawa Health Research Institute of the University of Ottawa, and Respirology Division, Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Canada
Respiration 74:228-36. 2007..Recommendations on future studies in the field are outlined in detail. Following a systematic assessment of all published studies, we cannot conclude that psychological factors increase the risk of NFA and FA...
- Blastomycosis in a young African man presenting with a pleural effusionG G Alvarez
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario
Can Respir J 13:441-4. 2006..The unusual occurrence of pulmonary blastomycosis associated with skin lesions and a moderate pleural effusion is reported...
- Pediatric tuberculosis immigration screening in high-immigration, low-incidence countriesG G Alvarez
Division of Respirology, The Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, University of Ottawa at The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 14:1530-7. 2010..Many countries have developed immigration TB screening programs to suit the needs of adults, but have not focused much attention on migrant children...
- A comparison of obese and nonobese people with asthma: exploring an asthma-obesity interactionSmita Pakhale
MSc, The Ottawa Hospital, 501 Smyth Rd, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1H 8L6
Chest 137:1316-23. 2010....
- Overdiagnosis of asthma in obese and nonobese adultsShawn D Aaron
Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa, Ont, USA
CMAJ 179:1121-31. 2008..It is unclear whether asthma is overdiagnosed in developed countries, particularly among obese individuals, who may be more likely than nonobese people to experience dyspnea...
- Inaccuracy of death certificate diagnosis of tuberculosis and potential underdiagnosis of TB in a region of high HIV prevalenceTheresa T Liu
Division of Infectious Diseases, The Ottawa Hospital, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1H 8L6
Clin Dev Immunol 2012:937013. 2012..TB is often diagnosed clinically, without microbiologic confirmation, leading to inaccurate estimates of TB-attributed deaths. This may contribute to avoidable deaths, and impact population-based TB mortality estimates...
- Effect of theophylline on exercise capacity in COPD patients treated with combination long-acting bronchodilator therapy: a pilot studyNha Voduc
University of Ottawa, Division of Respirology, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 7:245-52. 2012..Previous studies evaluating the effects of theophylline on exercise capacity in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) have demonstrated heterogeneous results...
- The prevalence of blebs or bullae among young healthy adults: a thoracoscopic investigationKayvan Amjadi
University of Ottawa, Ottawa Hospital, Civic Campus, Division of Respirology, 1053 Carling Ave, Ottawa, ON, Canada K1Y 4E9
Chest 132:1140-5. 2007..To determine the prevalence of blebs or bullae using thoracoscopy in young healthy adults, and to compare patient characteristics among those with and without blebs...
- Tuberculosis at Edendale Hospital in Pietermaritzburg, Kwazulu Natal, South AfricaG G Alvarez
Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa at The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 8:1472-8. 2004..TB patients presented late in disease and had high in-hospital mortality. Early detection and effective treatment of active TB in the community is likely to reduce hospitalisation and improve survival...
- A systematic review of risk factors associated with near-fatal and fatal asthmaG G Alvarez
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Can Respir J 12:265-70. 2005..Clinicians should identify patients with these characteristics to reduce their risk of NFA and FA. Further research should focus on quantifying the impact of risk factors on asthma deaths...