Genomes and Genes
Johanne Martel Pelletier
Affiliation: Osteoarthritis Research Unit
- Martel Pelletier J, Farran A, Montell E, Vergés J, Pelletier J. Discrepancies in composition and biological effects of different formulations of chondroitin sulfate. Molecules. 2015;20:4277-89 pubmed publisher..This could be related to contaminants, which depend on the origin, production and purification process. It is therefore vitally important that only pharmaceutical-grade chondroitin sulfate be used for treating osteoarthritis patients. ..
- Li Y, Tardif G, Hum D, Kapoor M, Fahmi H, Pelletier J, et al. The unfolded protein response genes in human osteoarthritic chondrocytes: PERK emerges as a potential therapeutic target. Arthritis Res Ther. 2016;18:172 pubmed publisher..Importantly, these findings identify PERK as a potential target for new OA treatment avenues. ..
- Valverde Franco G, Lussier B, Hum D, Wu J, Hamadjida A, Dancause N, et al. Cartilage-specific deletion of ephrin-B2 in mice results in early developmental defects and an osteoarthritis-like phenotype during aging in vivo. Arthritis Res Ther. 2016;18:65 pubmed publisher..This in vivo study demonstrated, for the first time, that EFNB2 is essential for normal long bone growth and development and its absence leads to a knee and hip OA phenotype in aged mice. ..
- Farran A, Valverde Franco G, Tio L, Lussier B, Fahmi H, Pelletier J, et al. In vivo effect of opticin deficiency in cartilage in a surgically induced mouse model of osteoarthritis. Sci Rep. 2018;8:457 pubmed publisher..This work suggests that the evaluation of the composition of the different SLRPs in OA cartilage could be applied as a new tool for OA prognosis classification. ..
- Khan H, Aitken D, Ding C, Blizzard L, Pelletier J, Martel Pelletier J, et al. Natural history and clinical significance of meniscal tears over 8Â years in a midlife cohort. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2016;17:4 pubmed publisher..Change in meniscal tears shares risk factors with knee OA and is independently associated with worsening knee pain and structural damage suggesting that meniscal tears are on the knee OA causal pathway. ..
- Martel Pelletier J, Raynauld J, Dorais M, Abram F, Pelletier J. The levels of the adipokines adipsin and leptin are associated with knee osteoarthritis progression as assessed by MRI and incidence of total knee replacement in symptomatic osteoarthritis patients: a post hoc analysis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2016;55:680-8 pubmed publisher..Importantly, this study also demonstrates that higher baseline levels of adipsin or leptin are associated with higher incidence of TKR. ..
- Raynauld J, Pelletier J, Abram F, Dodin P, Delorme P, Martel Pelletier J. Long-Term Effects of Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate on the Progression of Structural Changes in Knee Osteoarthritis: Six-Year Followup Data From the Osteoarthritis Initiative. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2016;68:1560-6 pubmed publisher..These findings provide future support for the long-term protective structure-modifying effects of Glu/CS treatment in knee OA subjects. ..
- Martel Pelletier J, Kwan Tat S, Pelletier J. Effects of chondroitin sulfate in the pathophysiology of the osteoarthritic joint: a narrative review. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2010;18 Suppl 1:S7-11 pubmed publisher..The positive effects of chondroitin sulfate on the pathophysiology of osteoarthritis are possibly due to its contribution to a proper balance between anabolism/catabolism in the articular tissues. ..
- Martel Pelletier J, Raynauld J, Mineau F, Abram F, Paiement P, Delorme P, et al. Levels of serum biomarkers from a two-year multicentre trial are associated with treatment response on knee osteoarthritis cartilage loss as assessed by magnetic resonance imaging: an exploratory study. Arthritis Res Ther. 2017;19:169 pubmed publisher..This is a post hoc study. Original trial registration: ClinicalTrials.gov, NCT01354145 . Registered on 13 May 2011. ..
- Monfort J, Tardif G, Reboul P, Mineau F, Roughley P, Pelletier J, et al. Degradation of small leucine-rich repeat proteoglycans by matrix metalloprotease-13: identification of a new biglycan cleavage site. Arthritis Res Ther. 2006;8:R26 pubmed..Awareness of SLRP degradation products, especially those of biglycan and fibromodulin, may assist in early detection of OA cartilage degradation. ..
- El Mansouri F, Nebbaki S, Kapoor M, Afif H, Martel Pelletier J, Pelletier J, et al. Lysine-specific demethylase 1-mediated demethylation of histone H3 lysine 9 contributes to interleukin 1?-induced microsomal prostaglandin E synthase 1 expression in human osteoarthritic chondrocytes. Arthritis Res Ther. 2014;16:R113 pubmed publisher
- Tardif G, Pelletier J, Fahmi H, Hum D, Zhang Y, Kapoor M, et al. NFAT3 and TGF-?/SMAD3 regulate the expression of miR-140 in osteoarthritis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2013;15:R197 pubmed..Such knowledge could advance therapeutic strategies targeting OA. ..
- McCann M, Monemdjou R, Ghassemi Kakroodi P, Fahmi H, Perez G, Liu S, et al. mPGES-1 null mice are resistant to bleomycin-induced skin fibrosis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2011;13:R6 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of mPGES-1 may be a viable method to alleviate the development of cutaneous sclerosis and is a potential therapeutic target to control the onset of fibrogenesis. ..
- Nebbaki S, El Mansouri F, Afif H, Kapoor M, Benderdour M, Duval N, et al. Egr-1 contributes to IL-1-mediated down-regulation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor ? expression in human osteoarthritic chondrocytes. Arthritis Res Ther. 2012;14:R69 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that induction and recruitment of Egr-1 contributed to the suppressive effect of IL-1 on PPAR? expression. They also suggest that modulation of Egr-1 levels in the joint may have therapeutic potential in OA. ..
- Kwan Tat S, Pelletier J, Amiable N, Boileau C, Lavigne M, Martel Pelletier J. Treatment with ephrin B2 positively impacts the abnormal metabolism of human osteoarthritic chondrocytes. Arthritis Res Ther. 2009;11:R119 pubmed publisher..Data showed that ephrin B2 treatment positively impacts the abnormal metabolism of OA cartilage by inhibiting important catabolic factors involved in this disease at the same time as increasing anabolic activity. ..
- Boileau C, Martel Pelletier J, Caron J, Msika P, Guillou G, Baudouin C, et al. Protective effects of total fraction of avocado/soybean unsaponifiables on the structural changes in experimental dog osteoarthritis: inhibition of nitric oxide synthase and matrix metalloproteinase-13. Arthritis Res Ther. 2009;11:R41 pubmed publisher..This effect appears to be mediated through the inhibition of inducible nitric oxide synthase and MMP-13, which are key mediators of the structural changes that take place in osteoarthritis. ..
- Ding C, Martel Pelletier J, Pelletier J, Abram F, Raynauld J, Cicuttini F, et al. Knee meniscal extrusion in a largely non-osteoarthritic cohort: association with greater loss of cartilage volume. Arthritis Res Ther. 2007;9:R21 pubmed
- Raynauld J, Martel Pelletier J, Berthiaume M, Beaudoin G, Choquette D, Haraoui B, et al. Long term evaluation of disease progression through the quantitative magnetic resonance imaging of symptomatic knee osteoarthritis patients: correlation with clinical symptoms and radiographic changes. Arthritis Res Ther. 2006;8:R21 pubmed..These data confirm the significant advantage of qMRI for reliably measuring knee structural changes at as early as 12 months, and for identifying risk factors associated with OA progression...
- García Arnandis I, Guillén M, Gomar F, Pelletier J, Martel Pelletier J, Alcaraz M. High mobility group box 1 potentiates the pro-inflammatory effects of interleukin-1? in osteoarthritic synoviocytes. Arthritis Res Ther. 2010;12:R165 pubmed publisher..Our data support a pro-inflammatory role for this protein contributing to synovitis and articular destruction in OA. ..
- Chabane N, Zayed N, Benderdour M, Martel Pelletier J, Pelletier J, Duval N, et al. Human articular chondrocytes express 15-lipoxygenase-1 and -2: potential role in osteoarthritis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2009;11:R44 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that 15-lipoxygenases may have chondroprotective properties by reducing MMP-1 and MMP-13 expression. ..
- Zayed N, Li X, Chabane N, Benderdour M, Martel Pelletier J, Pelletier J, et al. Increased expression of lipocalin-type prostaglandin D2 synthase in osteoarthritic cartilage. Arthritis Res Ther. 2008;10:R146 pubmed publisher..IL-1beta may be responsible for this upregulation through activation of the JNK and p38 MAPK and NF-kappaB signalling pathways. These data suggest that L-PGDS might have an important role in the pathophysiology of OA. ..
- Manacu C, Martel Pelletier J, Roy Beaudry M, Pelletier J, Fernandes J, Shipkolye F, et al. Endothelin-1 in osteoarthritic chondrocytes triggers nitric oxide production and upregulates collagenase production. Arthritis Res Ther. 2005;7:R324-32 pubmed..ET-1 also induces NO release via iNOS induction. ET-1 and NO should thus become important target molecules for future therapies aimed at stopping cartilage destruction. ..
- Martel Pelletier J, Mineau F, Fahmi H, Laufer S, Reboul P, Boileau C, et al. Regulation of the expression of 5-lipoxygenase-activating protein/5-lipoxygenase and the synthesis of leukotriene B(4) in osteoarthritic chondrocytes: role of transforming growth factor beta and eicosanoids. Arthritis Rheum. 2004;50:3925-33 pubmed..We also demonstrated that LTB(4) likely contributes to the up-regulation of important catabolic factors involved in the pathophysiology of OA, such as MMP. ..
- Habouri L, El Mansouri F, Ouhaddi Y, Lussier B, Pelletier J, Martel Pelletier J, et al. Deletion of 12/15-lipoxygenase accelerates the development of aging-associated and instability-induced osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2017;25:1719-1728 pubmed publisher..These data suggest an important role of 12/15-LOX in the pathogenesis of OA. They also suggest that activation of this pathway may provide a novel strategy for prevention and treatment of OA. ..
- Decary S, Fremont P, Pelletier B, Fallaha M, Belzile S, Martel Pelletier J, et al. Validity of Combining History Elements and Physical Examination Tests to Diagnose Patellofemoral Pain. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2018;99:607-614.e1 pubmed publisher..27). Diagnostic clusters combining common history elements and physical examination tests that can accurately diagnose or exclude PFP compared to various knee disorders were developed. External validation is required before clinical use. ..