- Changes in cardiac variability after REM sleep deprivation in recurrent nightmaresTore Nielsen
Sleep Research Center, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Sleep 33:113-22. 2010..To assess whether dysfunctional autonomic regulation during REM sleep as indexed by heart rate variability (HRV) is a pathophysiological factor in frequent nightmares (NMs)...
- Dream-associated behaviors affecting pregnant and postpartum womenTore Nielsen
Dream and Nightmare Laboratory, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Sleep 30:1162-9. 2007..Episodes consist of anxious dreams and nightmares about the new infant that are accompanied by complex behaviors (motor activity, speaking, expressing emotion)...
- REM sleep characteristics of nightmare sufferers before and after REM sleep deprivationTore A Nielsen
Dream and Nightmare Laboratory, Centre détude du sommeil, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, 5400 Boul Gouin Ouest, Montreal, Que, Canada H4J1C5
Sleep Med 11:172-9. 2010..To examine whether disrupted regulation of REM sleep propensity is implicated in nightmare (NM) pathophysiology...
- Partial REM-sleep deprivation increases the dream-like quality of mentation from REM sleep and sleep onsetTore Nielsen
Sleep Research Centre, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Sleep 28:1083-9. 2005..The objective was to determine if SO mentation is sensitive to REM sleep deprivation...
- What are the memory sources of dreaming?Tore A Nielsen
Dream and Nightmare Laboratory, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, 5400 Blvd Gouin Ouest, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4J 1C5
Nature 437:1286-9. 2005..New research targeting relationships between dreaming, memory and the hippocampus is producing a new theory to explain how, why and when we dream of waking life events...
- Immediate and delayed incorporations of events into dreams: further replication and implications for dream functionTore A Nielsen
Sleep Research Center, Sacre Coeur Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Sleep Res 13:327-36. 2004....
- Chronobiological features of dream productionTore A Nielsen
Dream and Nightmare Laboratory, Hôpital Sacré Coeur, 5400, boul Gouin Ouest, Montreal, Qué H4J 1C5, Canada
Sleep Med Rev 8:403-24. 2004..Further chronobiological studies of dreaming will likely enable the development of theoretical models that explain how interactions between and within major levels of oscillation determine the variable characteristics of dreaming...
- Dream-enacting behaviors in a normal populationTore Nielsen
Dream Nightmare Laboratory, Sacré Coeur Hospital of Montréal, Montreal, Canada
Sleep 32:1629-36. 2009....
- Nightmares associated with the eveningness chronotypeTore Nielsen
Centre d Etude du Sommeil et des Rythmes Biologiques, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Canada
J Biol Rhythms 25:53-62. 2010..This chronotypic influence, together with a likely gender difference in the neurophysiological substrate of emotional processing, may result in the differential occurrence of nightmares for female evening types...
- Nightmares: a new neurocognitive modelTore Nielsen
Dream and Nightmare Laboratory, Sleep Research Centre, Sacré Coeur Hospital of Montréal, 5400 Boul Gouin Ouest, Montreal, Que, Canada
Sleep Med Rev 11:295-310. 2007....
- Sensed presence as a correlate of sleep paralysis distress, social anxiety and waking state social imageryElizaveta Solomonova
Dream and Nightmare Laboratory, Centre d Etude du Sommeil, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, 5400 Boul Gouin Ouest, Montreal, Que, Canada H4J 1C5
Conscious Cogn 17:49-63. 2008..A general predisposition to affective distress may influence the distress associated with ISP experiences; overly passive social imagery may, in turn, be implicated in this affect distress influence...
- Overnight emotional adaptation to negative stimuli is altered by REM sleep deprivation and is correlated with intervening dream emotionsJessica Lara-Carrasco
Sleep Research Center, Hôpital du Sacré Coeur, Universite de Montreal, Montreal H4J 1C5, Canada
J Sleep Res 18:178-87. 2009..REM sleep may enhance morning reactivity to negative emotional stimuli. Further, REM sleep and dreaming may be implicated in different dimensions of cross-night adaptation to negative emotions...
- Longitudinal study of preschool sleep disturbance: the predictive role of maladaptive parental behaviors, early sleep problems, and child/mother psychological factorsValérie Simard
Centre d Etude du Sommeil, Hôpital du Sacré Coeur, 5400 Boulevard Gouin Ouest, Montreal, QB H4J 1C5, Canada
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 162:360-7. 2008....
- Reduced Alpha power associated with the recall of mentation from Stage 2 and Stage REM sleepMaria José Esposito
Sleep Research Center, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Psychophysiology 41:288-97. 2004..The Delta effect is consistent with prior observations of regular linkages between Alpha and Delta power during sleep...
- Incorporation of pain in dreams of hospitalized burn victimsIsabelle Raymond
Burn Center Hĵtel Dieu du Centre hospitalier de l Université de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Sleep 25:765-70. 2002..More importantly, dreaming about pain may be an added stress for burn patents and may contribute to both poor sleep and higher pain intensity, which could evolve into a cycle of pain-anxiety-sleeplessness...
- Nocturnal breathing in cyanotic congenital heart diseaseSylvie Legault
Adult Congenital Heart Center, Montreal Heart Institute and Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Int J Cardiol 128:197-200. 2008..Sleep aggravated hypoxia has been observed in many such patients, but it remains to be determined whether sleep disordered breathing is contributory. We, therefore, sought to assess sleep-related breathing pattern in patients with CCHD...
- Longitudinal study of bad dreams in preschool-aged children: prevalence, demographic correlates, risk and protective factorsValérie Simard
Centre d Etude du Sommeil, Hopital du Sacre Coeur de Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Sleep 31:62-70. 2008..To (1) clarify the epidemiology of bad dreams in children and investigate risk and protective factors related to (2) the child's sleep, (3) parental sleep-enabling practices, and (4) the child's temperament...
- Sleep pathophysiology in posttraumatic stress disorder and idiopathic nightmare sufferersAnne Germain
Sleep Research Center, , , , Canada
Biol Psychiatry 54:1092-8. 2003..Rather, PLMs may be a correlate of processes contributing to intense negative dreaming...
- Felt presence: paranoid delusion or hallucinatory social imagery?Tore Nielsen
Dream and Nightmare Laboratory, Sacre Coeur Hospital, Montreal, Canada
Conscious Cogn 16:975-83; discussion 984-91. 2007..other-presence) of a mirror neuron system is considered...
- Disturbed dreaming, posttraumatic stress disorder, and affect distress: a review and neurocognitive modelRoss Levin
Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology, Yeshiva University, New York, USA
Psychol Bull 133:482-528. 2007..In a cross-state, multilevel model of dream function and nightmare production, the authors integrate findings on emotional memory structures and the brain correlates of emotion...