Affiliation: Mount Sinai Hospital
- DO IT Trial: vitamin D Outcomes and Interventions in Toddlers - a TARGet Kids! randomized controlled trialJonathon L Maguire
The Applied Health Research Centre of the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St, Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BMC Pediatr 14:37. 2014....
- Respiratory syncytial virus infection-associated hospitalization in adults: a retrospective cohort studyCheryl Volling
Department of Microbiology, Mount Sinai Hospital, Room 210, 600 University Avenue, Toronto, M5G 1X5, ON, Canada
BMC Infect Dis 14:665. 2014..A better understanding of RSV epidemiology and disease in adults is needed to guide patient management and to assess the need for prophylaxis, vaccines, and treatments...
- Patterns of syphilis testing in a large cohort of HIV patients in Ontario, Canada, 2000-2009Ann N Burchell
Ontario HIV Treatment Network, Suite 600, 1300 Yonge Street, Toronto, Ontario M4T 1X3, Canada
BMC Infect Dis 13:246. 2013..We characterized temporal patterns of of syphilis testing in a large cohort of HIV patients in Ontario, Canada...
- When should a diagnosis of influenza be considered in adults requiring intensive care unit admission? Results of population-based active surveillance in TorontoStefan P Kuster
Mount Sinai Hospital, 600 University Avenue, Toronto, ON M5G 1X5, Canada
Crit Care 15:R182. 2011....
- Resistant microorganisms in head and neck infectionsTony Mazzulli
Department of Microbiology, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, ON
J Otolaryngol 34:S2-6. 2005....
- Value of RVP in clinical settings: intensive careTony Mazzulli
Department of Microbiology, Mount Sinai Hospital, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto, Canada
J Clin Virol 40:S55-7. 2007
- Severe acute respiratory syndrome: overview with an emphasis on the Toronto experienceTony Mazzulli
Toronto Medical Laboratories, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
Arch Pathol Lab Med 128:1346-50. 2004..To provide an overview of the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) outbreak in Toronto, Ontario, which experienced the largest outbreak outside Asia, and to review what has been learned during the past year...
- Molecular characterization of a nosocomial outbreak of human respiratory syncytial virus on an adult leukemia/lymphoma wardT Mazzulli
Department of Microbiology, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1X5, Canada
J Infect Dis 180:1686-9. 1999..Instead of a single nosocomial outbreak of HRSV, multiple introductions of HRSV likely occurred with distinct lines of nosocomial transmission...
- Multicenter comparison of the digene hybrid capture CMV DNA assay (version 2.0), the pp65 antigenemia assay, and cell culture for detection of cytomegalovirus viremiaT Mazzulli
Mt Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 37:958-63. 1999..Further evaluation to determine its role in predicting CMV disease and for monitoring the therapeutic response to anti-CMV therapy is needed...
- Development of a novel real-time reverse-transcriptase PCR method for the detection of H275Y positive influenza A H1N1 isolatesS Bolotin
Ontario Agency for Health Protection and Promotion, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Virol Methods 158:190-4. 2009..Although all three methods were effective in detecting the H275Y mutation associated with oseltamivir resistance, the H275Y RT-PCR assay was the most rapid and could easily be incorporated into an influenza subtyping protocol...
- Differential patterns of amantadine-resistance in influenza A (H3N2) and (H1N1) isolates in Toronto, CanadaRachel R Higgins
Central Public Health Laboratory, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Clin Virol 44:91-3. 2009..Molecular methods were used to characterize influenza A (H1N1) and (H3N2) strains and to identify amantadine-resistance...
- Long-term predictive value of a single cytomegalovirus (CMV) DNA PCR assay for CMV disease in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patientsS Walmsley
Department of Medicine, The Toronto Hospital, and University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 36:281-3. 1998..In this study, the sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value, and negative predictive value of a single CMV DNA PCR assay for the subsequent development of CMV disease were 0.75, 0.89, 0.75, and 0.89, respectively...
- Clinical features and short-term outcomes of 144 patients with SARS in the greater Toronto areaChristopher M Booth
University of Toronto, Mount Sinai Hospital, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
JAMA 289:2801-9. 2003..Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is an emerging infectious disease that first manifested in humans in China in November 2002 and has subsequently spread worldwide...
- A randomised trial comparing cytomegalovirus antigenemia assay vs screening bronchoscopy for the early detection and prevention of disease in allogeneic bone marrow and peripheral blood stem cell transplant recipientsA Humar
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Toronto General Hospital-University Health Network, 200 Elizabeth Street, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2C4, Canada
Bone Marrow Transplant 28:485-90. 2001..Preemptive therapy based on regular CMV antigenemia monitoring is superior to screening bronchoscopy for the prevention of CMV disease after allogeneic BMT...
- Pegylated interferon plus optimized weight-based ribavirin dosing negate the influence of weight and body mass index on early viral kinetics and sustained virological response in chronic hepatitis CV Pattullo
Department of Medicine, Toronto Western Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Viral Hepat 17:834-8. 2010..The aims of this study were to determine whether early viral kinetics (and subsequently SVR) are influenced by weight or BMI by measuring HCV RNA at week 4 using two PCR assays with differing sensitivities...
- Human herpesvirus-6 is associated with cytomegalovirus reactivation in liver transplant recipientsA Humar
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases and Multi Organ Transplantation, Toronto General Hospital University Health Network, Toronto, Ontario M5G 2C4, Canada
J Infect Dis 181:1450-3. 2000..013; odds ratio, 7.26; 95% confidence interval, 1.52-34.72). HHV-6 is associated with CMV infection and disease, thus supporting an interaction between these viruses...
- In vitro antimicrobial susceptibilities of Streptococcus pneumoniae clinical isolates obtained in Canada in 2002Jeff Powis
Department of Microbiology, Rm 1487, Mount Sinai Hospital, 600 University Ave, Toronto, M5G 1X5 Ontario, Canada
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:3305-11. 2004..Nonsusceptibility to amoxicillin and ceftriaxone remains uncommon. Newer antimicrobials such as telithromycin and respiratory fluoroquinolones have excellent in vitro activity...
- Early diagnosis of SARS: lessons from the Toronto SARS outbreakM P Muller
Department of Microbiology, Mount Sinai Hospital, 600 University Avenue, M5G 1X5 Toronto, Canada
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 25:230-7. 2006..Other clinical, laboratory and radiographic findings further raise or lower the likelihood of SARS and provide a rational basis for estimating the likelihood of SARS and directing initial management...
- Adverse events associated with high-dose ribavirin: evidence from the Toronto outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndromeMatthew P Muller
Department of Microbiology, Mount Sinai Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pharmacotherapy 27:494-503. 2007..To distinguish adverse events related to ribavirin therapy from those attributable to severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), and to determine the rate of potential ribavirin-related adverse events...
- Antimicrobial resistance among clinical isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae in Canada during 2000Donald E Low
Department of Microbiology, Toronto Medical Laboratories and Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:1295-301. 2002..The MIC of linezolid was <or=2 microg/ml for all isolates. Many of the new antimicrobial agents tested in this study appear to have potential for the treatment of multidrug-resistant strains of pneumococci...
- The immediate psychological and occupational impact of the 2003 SARS outbreak in a teaching hospitalRobert Maunder
Department of Psychiatry, Mount Sinai Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont
CMAJ 168:1245-51. 2003..We aimed to describe the psychological and occupational impact of this event within a large hospital in the first 4 weeks of the outbreak and the subsequent administrative and mental health response...
- Progressive and nonresolving pneumoniaDonald E Low
Department of Microbiology, Toronto Medical Laboratories and Mount Sinai Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Curr Opin Pulm Med 11:247-52. 2005..It is critical to be able to identify patients at risk to institute early appropriate therapy. The purpose of this review is to summarise the most updated developments in this area...
- Post renal transplantation Kaposi's sarcoma: a review of its epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, clinical aspects, and therapyS M Hosseini-Moghaddam
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Toronto, University Health Network, Transplant Infectious Diseases, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Transpl Infect Dis 14:338-45. 2012..Human herpesvirus type 8 (HHV-8) has been shown to play a causative role in AIDS-associated KS and in post renal transplantation KS...
- Mucosal correlates of isolated HIV semen shedding during effective antiretroviral therapyP M Sheth
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mucosal Immunol 5:248-57. 2012..Further elucidation of the causes of compartmentalized mucosal T-cell activation and IHS may have important public health implications...
- Prevalence and characterization of invasive isolates of Streptococcus pyogenes with reduced susceptibility to fluoroquinolonesJeff Powis
Department of Microbiology, Toronto Medical Laboratories, Mount Sinai Hospital, 600 University Ave, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X5
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:2130-2. 2005..None were nonsusceptible to levofloxacin. Two of 153 (1.3%) from 1992-1993 and 7 of 160 (4.4%) from 2003 had a levofloxacin MIC of 2 mug/ml; all nine had parC mutations, and eight were serotype M6...
- Hepatitis C core Ag and its clinical applicability: potential advantages and disadvantages for diagnosis and follow-up?S M Hosseini-Moghaddam
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Toronto, University Health Network, Transplant Infectious Diseases, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Rev Med Virol 22:156-65. 2012..Overall, measuring HCVcAg levels is associated with several advantages and disadvantages. It may be useful in different clinical settings for monitoring HCV patients after obtaining an initial baseline HCV RNA result...
- Genetic microheterogeneity of emerging H275Y influenza virus A (H1N1) in Toronto, Ontario, Canada from the 2007-2008 respiratory seasonA Eshaghi
Ontario Public Health Laboratories, 81 Resources Road, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Virol 45:142-5. 2009..The H275Y mutation (H274Y in N2 numbering) in the neuraminidase (NA) gene (segment 6) of the influenza virus A (H1N1) genome is linked to oseltamivir resistance...
- Utility of zanamivir for chemoprophylaxis of concomitant influenza A and B in a complex continuing care populationZ Hirji
The Riverdale Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 23:604-8. 2002..To describe compliance with and the safety and prophylactic efficacy of zanamivir among patients at risk of developing influenza-related complications after exposure to both influenza A and B viruses...
- Efficient generation of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)-neutralizing human MoAbs via human peripheral blood lymphocyte (hu-PBL)-SCID mice and scFv phage display librariesH Nguyen
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Clin Exp Immunol 122:85-93. 2000....
- Detection of hepatitis C virus in the corneas of seropositive donorsH M Lee
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Toronto, The Toronto Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Cornea 20:37-40. 2001..Routine HCV serologic testing for all potential corneal donors and rejection of corneal tissues based on HCV seropositivity is certainly justifiable...
- Use of the Vitek-1 and Vitek-2 systems for detection of constitutive and inducible macrolide resistance in group B streptococciPatrick Tang
Department of Microbiology, Toronto Medical Laboratories and Mount Sinai Hospital, and University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 42:2282-4. 2004..6 and 94.4%. In light of these results, we recommend that GBS be routinely tested using the double-disk diffusion method...
- A surveillance study of adenovirus infection in adult solid organ transplant recipientsAtul Humar
University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Transplant 5:2555-9. 2005..No serious clinical sequelae or effects on subsequent acute rejection were observed...
- Detection of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus in stool specimens by commercially available real-time reverse transcriptase PCR assaysL Louie
Department of Microbiology, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, B121 2075 Bayview Ave, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M4N 3M5
J Clin Microbiol 44:4193-6. 2006..The assays were less sensitive when specimens were obtained less than 8 days or more than 21 days after the onset of symptoms. All assays were 100% specific...
- Cytomegalovirus transmission to extremely low-birthweight infants through breast milkS Doctor
Department of Paediatrics, University of Toronto, Canada
Acta Paediatr 94:53-8. 2005..To determine the incidence, timing and clinical significance of acquired postnatal cytomegalovirus (CMV) in extremely low-birthweight (ELBW) infants...
- Hepatitis B virus DNA prediction rules for hepatitis B e antigen-negative chronic hepatitis BJordan J Feld
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Hepatology 46:1057-70. 2007..For HBeAg-negative patients with elevated ALT and all HBeAg-positive patients, HBV DNA did not predict future ALT. Other viral and host factors were not predictive of future ALT...
- One-year outcomes and health care utilization in survivors of severe acute respiratory syndromeCatherine M Tansey
Department of Medicine, University Health Network, and Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Arch Intern Med 167:1312-20. 2007..Research conducted during the SARS outbreak may help inform research planning for future public health emergencies. The objective of this study was to evaluate the 1-year outcomes in survivors of SARS and their family caregivers...
- Cytomegalovirus glycoprotein B genotype does not correlate with outcomes in liver transplant patientsLisa Sarcinella
Department of Microbiology, Mount Sinai Hospital, University of Toronto, 600 University Avenue, Toronto, Ont, Canada M5G 1X5
J Clin Virol 24:99-105. 2002..Previous studies have suggested there could be an association between CMV gB genotype and clinical outcome in transplant patients...
- Long-term follow-up of a cohort of HIV-infected patients who discontinued maintenance therapy for cytomegalovirus retinitisSharon L Walmsley
Department of Medicine, Toronto Hospital, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Canada
HIV Clin Trials 7:1-9. 2006..To determine the long-term safety of discontinuation of maintenance therapy for cytomegalovirus retinitis (CMVR) and to identify predictors for relapse...
- West Nile virus infection in 2002: morbidity and mortality among patients admitted to hospital in southcentral OntarioCaitlin Pepperell
Divisions of Infectious Diseases, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont, Canada
CMAJ 168:1399-405. 2003..We encountered a number of seriously ill patients at our hospitals. In this article we document the clinical characteristics of these cases...
- Characterization of culture-positive adenovirus serotypes from respiratory specimens in Toronto, Ontario, Canada: September 2007-June 2008Rani Yeung
Ministry of Health and Long Term Care, Public Health Laboratories Branch, Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada
Virol J 6:11. 2009..Molecular methods allow for the determination of circulating adenovirus serotypes and be used to document the spread of highly virulent adenoviral serotypes into a region...
- Annualized incidence and spectrum of illness from an outbreak investigation of Bell's palsyA M Morris
Mount Sinai Hospital, Department of Microbiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont, Canada
Neuroepidemiology 21:255-61. 2002..There are limited clinical and epidemiological data on patients diagnosed with Bell's palsy. While investigating an apparent clustering of Bell's palsy, we sought to characterize the spectrum of illness in patients with this diagnosis...
- Clinical utility of cytomegalovirus (CMV) serology testing in high-risk CMV D+/R- transplant recipientsAtul Humar
University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Transplant 5:1065-70. 2005..002). In D+/R- patients, CMV serology testing is for the most part not clinically useful for predicting subsequent disease. However, seroconversion by 6 months may be useful for identifying patients at risk of late-onset CMV disease...
- Validation of the TaqMan Influenza A Detection Kit and a rapid automated total nucleic acid extraction method to detect influenza A virus in nasopharyngeal specimensShelly Bolotin
Ontario Public Health Laboratories, Molecular Diagnostics, Mount Sinai Hospital, 81 Resources Road, Etobiocoke, Ontario M9P 3T1, Canada
Ann Clin Lab Sci 39:155-9. 2009..Because of its accuracy, quick turn-around-time and lyophilized bead form, the TaqMan Influenza A Detection Kit, combined with the NucliSense easyMAG automated extraction method, constitutes a reliable protocol for influenza A diagnosis...
- Allergic fungal sinusitis associated with Trichoderma longibrachiatumPatrick Tang
Department of Microbiology, Toronto Medical Laboratories and Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 41:5333-6. 2003..This case also points out that careful scrutiny of direct smears is required to ensure that fungal structures are not misinterpreted...
- Clinical impact of human herpesvirus 6 infection after liver transplantationAtul Humar
Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5G 2C4
Transplantation 73:599-604. 2002..The objective of this study was to determine the clinical impact of HHV-6 infection after liver transplantation including both direct and indirect effects...
- Evaluation of the RealArt Malaria LC real-time PCR assay for malaria diagnosisGabriella A Farcas
Institute of Medical Science, Department of Medicine, McLaughlin Center for Molecular Medicine, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 42:636-8. 2004..6% for the detection of malaria. Our results indicate that the RealArt assay is a rapid (<45 min), sensitive, and specific method for the detection of malaria in returned travelers...
- Fatal severe acute respiratory syndrome is associated with multiorgan involvement by coronavirusGabriella A Farcas
McLaughlin Rotman Center for Global Health, McLaughlin Center for Molecular Medicine, University of Toronto, Canada
J Infect Dis 191:193-7. 2005..0 x 10(10) copies/g) and bowel (2.7 x 10(9) copies/g). Fatal SARS was associated with multiorgan viral dissemination in a distribution that has implications for disease manifestation, viral shedding, and transmission...
- Severe acute respiratory syndrome-associated coronavirus in lung tissueTony Mazzulli
Toronto Medical Labaratories Mount Sinai Hospital Department of Microbiology, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Emerg Infect Dis 10:20-4. 2004..CoV was consistently identified in the lungs of all patients who died of SARS but not in control patients, supporting a primary role for CoV in deaths...
- Early prediction of nonresponders to treatment with interferon alpha-2b and ribavirin in patients with chronic hepatitis CLouis W C Liu
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
Can J Gastroenterol 17:483-7. 2003..Furthermore, less than 50% of patients overall have a sustained virological response (SVR)...
- Severe acute respiratory syndrome diagnostics using a coronavirus protein microarrayHeng Zhu
Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology and Comparative Medicine, and Program in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:4011-6. 2006..We show that protein microarrays can serve as a rapid, sensitive, and simple tool for large-scale identification of viral-specific antibodies in sera...
- Interpretation of diagnostic laboratory tests for severe acute respiratory syndrome: the Toronto experiencePatrick Tang
University of Toronto, Ont
CMAJ 170:47-54. 2004..We describe how these tests were used during the first phase of the SARS outbreak in Toronto and offer some recommendations that may be useful if SARS returns...
- Value of CT in assessing probable severe acute respiratory syndromeT N Anuradha Rao
Department of Medical Imaging, University Health Network and Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, ON M5G 2C4 Canada
AJR Am J Roentgenol 181:317-9. 2003
- Control of microbial contamination during surgical harvest of pig renal xenograftsAlexander W Tucker
Imutran Ltd, Cambridge, UK
Xenotransplantation 11:91-6. 2004..This allowed the rapid identification and anti-microbial sensitivity testing of any isolated organisms. This would enable an early and appropriate pre-emptive treatment of infection because of transmission of pig micro-organisms...
- Proteomics and severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS): emerging technology meets emerging pathogenTony Mazzulli
Clin Chem 51:6-7. 2005