Affiliation: McMaster University
- The Quality Initiative in Rectal Cancer (QIRC) trial: study protocol of a cluster randomized controlled trial in surgeryMarko Simunovic
Department of Surgery, McMaster University, St, Joseph s Healthcare, G838 50 Charlton Ave, East, Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 4A6, Canada
BMC Surg 8:4. 2008..The strategy is designed to optimize the use of total mesorectal excision techniques...
- Radiotherapy fractionation for the palliation of uncomplicated painful bone metastases - an evidence-based practice guidelineJackson Sai Yiu Wu
Department of Radiation Oncology, Tom Baker Cancer Centre, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
BMC Cancer 4:71. 2004..This practice guideline was developed to provide recommendations to clinicians in Ontario on the preferred standard radiotherapy fractionation schedule for the treatment of painful bone metastases...
- Does locoregional radiation therapy improve survival in breast cancer? A meta-analysisT J Whelan
Departments of Medicine, Clinical Epidemiology, and Biostatistics, McMaster University, and Cancer Care Ontario, Hamilton Regional Cancer Centre, Hamilton, ON, Canada
J Clin Oncol 18:1220-9. 2000..A systematic review of randomized trials that examine the effectiveness of locoregional radiation therapy in patients treated by definitive surgery and adjuvant systemic therapy was conducted...
- Assessment of quality of life in MA.17: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial of letrozole after 5 years of tamoxifen in postmenopausal womenTimothy J Whelan
McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
J Clin Oncol 23:6931-40. 2005..To evaluate the impact of letrozole compared with placebo after adjuvant tamoxifen on quality of life (QOL) in the MA.17 trial...
- Use of conventional radiation therapy as part of breast-conserving treatmentTimothy J Whelan
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Candada
J Clin Oncol 23:1718-25. 2005
- Physician/patient decision aids for adjuvant therapyTimothy J Whelan
Juravinski Cancer Centre, 699 Concession St, Room 3 62, Hamilton, Ontario, L8V 5C2 Canada
J Clin Oncol 23:1627-30. 2005
- Effect of a decision aid on knowledge and treatment decision making for breast cancer surgery: a randomized trialTimothy Whelan
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton Health Sciences, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
JAMA 292:435-41. 2004..Consequently, the choice of treatment should be based on a patient's preferences...
- Helping patients make informed choices: a randomized trial of a decision aid for adjuvant chemotherapy in lymph node-negative breast cancerTimothy Whelan
Cancer Care Ontario CCO, Hamilton Regional Cancer Centre, and Supportive Cancer Care Research Unit, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Natl Cancer Inst 95:581-7. 2003..We determined whether adding the Decision Board to the medical consultation improved patient knowledge and satisfaction compared with the medical consultation alone...
- Randomized trial of breast irradiation schedules after lumpectomy for women with lymph node-negative breast cancerTimothy Whelan
T Whelan, M Levine, McMaster University, and Cancer Care Ontario CCO Hamilton Regional Cancer Centre, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Natl Cancer Inst 94:1143-50. 2002....
- Influence of hospital characteristics on operative death and survival of patients after major cancer surgery in OntarioMarko Simunovic
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Health Sciences, McMaster University, The Juravinski Cancer Centre, Hamilton, ON
Can J Surg 49:251-8. 2006..Therefore, we chose to study these relationships using data from patients treated in Ontario hospitals...
- Clinical practice guidelines for the care and treatment of breast cancer: breast radiotherapy after breast-conserving surgery (summary of the 2003 update)Timothy Whelan
Cancer Care Ontario Hamilton Regional Cancer Centre and Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON
CMAJ 168:437-9. 2003
- A population-based study of the fractionation of postlumpectomy breast radiation therapyAllison Ashworth
Division of Cancer Care and Epidemiology, Queen s University Cancer Research Institute, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 86:51-7. 2013....
- Lymphedema in women with breast cancer: characteristics of patients screened for a randomized trialIan S Dayes
Department of Oncology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Breast Cancer Res Treat 110:337-42. 2008..In two centres, patients presenting to lymphedema clinic were screened for eligibility to understand the accrual process and help define the patient population...
- Robotic radiosurgery for the treatment of 1-3 brain metastases: a pragmatic application of cost-benefit analysis using willingness-to-payJeffrey Noah Greenspoon
Department of Oncology, Juravinski Cancer Centre Division of Radiation Oncology, McMaster University, Ontario, Canada
Technol Cancer Res Treat 12:517-23. 2013..Cost-benefit analysis offers an analytic method to evaluate local preferences and provide accountability when allocating limited healthcare resources. ..
- The impact of specialized oncology nursing on patient supportive care outcomesJonathan Sussman
Supportive Cancer Care Research Unit, Juravinski Cancer Centre, Hamilton, ON, Canada
J Psychosoc Oncol 29:286-307. 2011..The results of this study are important in supporting the design and development of controlled trials to examine provider roles in the coordination of supportive cancer care...
- Using administrative databases to measure waiting times for patients undergoing major cancer surgery in Ontario, 1993-2000Marko Simunovic
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
Can J Surg 48:137-42. 2005..To determine how long patients in Ontario waited for major breast, colorectal, lung or prostate cancer surgery in the years 1993-2000...
- Meta-analysis of dose-fractionation radiotherapy trials for the palliation of painful bone metastasesJackson Sai Yiu Wu
Division of Radiation Oncology, Hamilton Regional Cancer Centre, Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 55:594-605. 2003..To compare pain relief among various dose-fractionation schedules of localized radiotherapy (RT) in the treatment of painful bone metastases...
- The difference between study recommendations, stated policy, and actual practice in a clinical trialJ R Goffin
National Cancer Institute of Canada, Clinical Trials Group, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Ann Oncol 15:1267-73. 2004..We determined whether physicians involved in a clinical trial adhere to the study recommendations or the stated policy of their treatment centre with respect to the administration of boost radiation after breast conserving surgery...
- American Society of Clinical Oncology technology assessment on the use of aromatase inhibitors as adjuvant therapy for postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive breast cancer: status report 2004Eric P Winer
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 44 Binney St, D1210, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:619-29. 2005..To update the 2003 American Society of Clinical Oncology technology assessment on adjuvant use of aromatase inhibitors...
- American Society of Clinical Oncology technology assessment on the use of aromatase inhibitors as adjuvant therapy for women with hormone receptor-positive breast cancer: status report 2002Eric P Winer
Health Services Research Department, American Society of Clinical Oncology, 1900 Duke Street, Suite 200, Alexandria, VA 22314, USA
J Clin Oncol 20:3317-27. 2002..POTENTIAL INTERVENTIONS: Anastrozole, letrozole, and exemestane...
- A clinical trial of breast radiation therapy versus breast plus regional radiation therapy in early-stage breast cancer: the MA20 trialIvo A Olivotto
Radiation Oncology, British Columbia Cancer Agency and University of British Columbia, Vancouver Island Centre, 2410 Lee Avenue, Victoria, BC V8R 6V5, Canada
Clin Breast Cancer 4:361-3. 2003
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of erythropoietin in non-small-cell lung cancer with disease-related anemiaJames R Wright
Juravinski Cancer Center at Hamilton Health Sciences, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Oncol 25:1027-32. 2007..We designed a trial to investigate the effects of epoetin alfa therapy on the QOL of anemic patients with advanced non-small-cell carcinoma of the lung (NSCLC)...
- In regard to Fortin et al., Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2003;56:1013-1022Ivo A Olivotto
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 58:1317-8; author reply 1318. 2004
- Ten-year multi-institutional results of breast-conserving surgery and radiotherapy in BRCA1/2-associated stage I/II breast cancerLori J Pierce
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Michigan School of Medicine, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0010, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:2437-43. 2006..We compared the outcome of breast-conserving surgery and radiotherapy in BRCA1/2 mutation carriers with breast cancer versus that of matched sporadic controls...
- Managing patients on endocrine therapy: focus on quality-of-life issuesTimothy J Whelan
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Clin Cancer Res 12:1056s-1060s. 2006..To review the health-related quality of life (QOL) of women treated with adjuvant hormonal therapy...
- Clinical practice guidelines for the care and treatment of breast cancer: 16. Locoregional post-mastectomy radiotherapyPauline T Truong
BC Cancer Agency Vancouver Island Centre
CMAJ 170:1263-73. 2004..To provide information and recommendations to assist women with breast cancer and their physicians in making decisions regarding the use of locoregional post-mastectomy radiotherapy (PMRT)...
- American Society of Clinical Oncology technology assessment working group update: use of aromatase inhibitors in the adjuvant settingEric P Winer
American Society of Clinical Oncology, Alexandria, VA 22314, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:2597-9. 2003
- Job stress and job satisfaction of cancer care workersEva Grunfeld
Ottawa Regional Cancer Centre, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario Canada K1H 1C4
Psychooncology 14:61-9. 2005..There is an increasing demand for oncology care as a result of a number of trends. In combination with ongoing changes to the health-care system, these trends have an impact on the workplace environment of systemic therapy personnel...
- Why cancer patients enter randomized clinical trials: exploring the factors that influence their decisionJames R Wright
Juravinski Cancer Centre, 699 Concession St, Hamilton, Ontario L8V 5C2
J Clin Oncol 22:4312-8. 2004..The present study was undertaken to identify the independent predictors of a cancer patient's decision to enter a randomized clinical trial...
- Efficacy, toxicity, and quality of life in older women with early-stage breast cancer treated with letrozole or placebo after 5 years of tamoxifen: NCIC CTG intergroup trial MA.17Hyman B Muss
University of Vermont College of Medicine, 1 South Prospect St, Saint Joseph 3400, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:1956-64. 2008..Breast cancer incidence increases with age and more than 1,300 women age 70 years or older were enrolled onto MA.17, making it ideal to explore the benefits, toxicities, and quality of life (QOL) impact of letrozole on older women...
- Clinical experience using hypofractionated radiation schedules in breast cancerTimothy J Whelan
Department of Oncology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada Juravinski Cancer Centre, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Semin Radiat Oncol 18:257-64. 2008..Early cohort studies report good local control and acceptable morbidity. Randomized trials are now underway to compare this approach to conventional whole-breast irradiation...
- The American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ASTRO) evidence-based review of the role of radiosurgery for malignant gliomaMay N Tsao
The American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology, Fairfax, VA 22033, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 63:47-55. 2005..To systematically review the evidence for the use of stereotactic radiosurgery or stereotactic fractionated radiation therapy in adult patients with malignant glioma...
- The American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ASTRO) evidence-based review of the role of radiosurgery for brain metastasesMinesh P Mehta
The American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology, Fairfax, VA 22033, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 63:37-46. 2005..To systematically review the evidence for the use of stereotactic radiosurgery in adult patients with brain metastases...
- The Initial Health Assessment: an intervention to identify the supportive care needs of cancer patientsDauna L Crooks
School of Nursing, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Support Care Cancer 12:19-24. 2004..The purpose of this study was to determine the relative effectiveness of this instrument as compared to routine practice...