Timothy J Whelan
Affiliation: McMaster University
- Long-term results of hypofractionated radiation therapy for breast cancerTimothy J Whelan
McMaster University and Juravinski Cancer Centre, Hamilton, ON, Canada
N Engl J Med 362:513-20. 2010..The optimal fractionation schedule for whole-breast irradiation after breast-conserving surgery is unknown...
- Clinical experience using hypofractionated radiation schedules in breast cancerTimothy J Whelan
Department of Oncology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada Juravinski Cancer Centre, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Semin Radiat Oncol 18:257-64. 2008..Early cohort studies report good local control and acceptable morbidity. Randomized trials are now underway to compare this approach to conventional whole-breast irradiation...
- The cluster-randomized Quality Initiative in Rectal Cancer trial: evaluating a quality-improvement strategy in surgeryMarko Simunovic
Department of Surgery, McMaster University, St Joseph s Healthcare, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
CMAJ 182:1301-6. 2010..Following surgery for rectal cancer, two unfortunate outcomes for patients are permanent colostomy and local recurrence of cancer. We tested whether a quality-improvement strategy to change surgical practice would improve these outcomes...
- Randomized trial of tamoxifen versus combined tamoxifen and octreotide LAR Therapy in the adjuvant treatment of early-stage breast cancer in postmenopausal women: NCIC CTG MA.14Kathleen I Pritchard
Sunnybrook Odette Cancer Centre and University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Oncol 29:3869-76. 2011..This trial was undertaken to assess whether octreotide would lower insulin and IGF-1 levels and reduce risk of breast cancer recurrence...
- Managing patients on endocrine therapy: focus on quality-of-life issuesTimothy J Whelan
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Clin Cancer Res 12:1056s-1060s. 2006..However, clinical benefits of these agents are generally achieved without major detrimental effect on overall QOL...
- Women's perceptions of their involvement in treatment decision making for early stage breast cancerMary Ann O'Brien
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Toronto, 500 University Avenue, 5th Floor, Toronto, ON, Canada, M5G 1V7
Support Care Cancer 21:1717-23. 2013..This study aimed to describe the perceptions of women with early stage breast cancer regarding their involvement in treatment decision making (TDM)...
- Empirical comparison of methods for analyzing multiple time-to-event outcomes in a non-inferiority trial: a breast cancer studySameer Parpia
Ontario Clinical Oncology Group, Department of Oncology, McMaster University, 711 Concession Street G 60 Wing 1st Floor, Hamilton, ON, L8V 1C3, Canada
BMC Med Res Methodol 13:44. 2013..However, their application to non-inferiority trials is limited. We evaluate four statistical methods for multiple time-to-event endpoints in the context of a non-inferiority trial...
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of erythropoietin in non-small-cell lung cancer with disease-related anemiaJames R Wright
Juravinski Cancer Center at Hamilton Health Sciences, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Oncol 25:1027-32. 2007..We designed a trial to investigate the effects of epoetin alfa therapy on the QOL of anemic patients with advanced non-small-cell carcinoma of the lung (NSCLC)...
- Use of conventional radiation therapy as part of breast-conserving treatmentTimothy J Whelan
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Candada
J Clin Oncol 23:1718-25. 2005
- The Quality Initiative in Rectal Cancer (QIRC) trial: study protocol of a cluster randomized controlled trial in surgeryMarko Simunovic
Department of Surgery, McMaster University, St, Joseph s Healthcare, G838 50 Charlton Ave, East, Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 4A6, Canada
BMC Surg 8:4. 2008..The strategy is designed to optimize the use of total mesorectal excision techniques...
- Assessment of quality of life in MA.17: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial of letrozole after 5 years of tamoxifen in postmenopausal womenTimothy J Whelan
McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
J Clin Oncol 23:6931-40. 2005..To evaluate the impact of letrozole compared with placebo after adjuvant tamoxifen on quality of life (QOL) in the MA.17 trial...
- Women's perceptions of their treatment decision-making about breast cancer treatmentMary Ann O'Brien
Supportive Cancer Care Research Unit, Juravinski Cancer Centre and McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Patient Educ Couns 73:431-6. 2008..There is limited understanding about what treatment decision making (TDM) means to patients. The study objective was to identify any processes or stages of TDM as perceived by women with early stage breast cancer (ESBC)...
- Physician/patient decision aids for adjuvant therapyTimothy J Whelan
Juravinski Cancer Centre, 699 Concession St, Room 3-62, Hamilton, Ontario, L8V 5C2 Canada
J Clin Oncol 23:1627-30. 2005
- Efficacy, toxicity, and quality of life in older women with early-stage breast cancer treated with letrozole or placebo after 5 years of tamoxifen: NCIC CTG intergroup trial MA.17Hyman B Muss
University of Vermont College of Medicine, 1 South Prospect St, Saint Joseph 3400, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:1956-64. 2008..Breast cancer incidence increases with age and more than 1,300 women age 70 years or older were enrolled onto MA.17, making it ideal to explore the benefits, toxicities, and quality of life (QOL) impact of letrozole on older women...
- Ten-year multi-institutional results of breast-conserving surgery and radiotherapy in BRCA1/2-associated stage I/II breast cancerLori J Pierce
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Michigan School of Medicine, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0010, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:2437-43. 2006..We compared the outcome of breast-conserving surgery and radiotherapy in BRCA1/2 mutation carriers with breast cancer versus that of matched sporadic controls...
- American Society of Clinical Oncology technology assessment on the use of aromatase inhibitors as adjuvant therapy for postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive breast cancer: status report 2004Eric P Winer
Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 44 Binney St, D1210, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:619-29. 2005..To update the 2003 American Society of Clinical Oncology technology assessment on adjuvant use of aromatase inhibitors...
- Clinical practice guidelines for the care and treatment of breast cancer: 16. Locoregional post-mastectomy radiotherapyPauline T Truong
BC Cancer Agency-Vancouver Island Centre
CMAJ 170:1263-73. 2004..The final document was approved by the steering committee. SPONSOR: The Steering Committee on Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Care and Treatment of Breast Cancer was convened by Health Canada. COMPLETION DATE: November 2003...
- In regard to Fortin et al., Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2003;56:1013-1022Ivo A Olivotto
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 58:1317-8; author reply 1318. 2004
- A clinical trial of breast radiation therapy versus breast plus regional radiation therapy in early-stage breast cancer: the MA20 trialIvo A Olivotto
Radiation Oncology, British Columbia Cancer Agency and University of British Columbia, Vancouver Island Centre, 2410 Lee Avenue, Victoria, BC V8R 6V5, Canada
Clin Breast Cancer 4:361-3. 2003
- American Society of Clinical Oncology technology assessment working group update: use of aromatase inhibitors in the adjuvant settingEric P Winer
American Society of Clinical Oncology, Alexandria, VA 22314, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:2597-9. 2003
- American Society of Clinical Oncology technology assessment on the use of aromatase inhibitors as adjuvant therapy for women with hormone receptor-positive breast cancer: status report 2002Eric P Winer
Health Services Research Department, American Society of Clinical Oncology, 1900 Duke Street, Suite 200, Alexandria, VA 22314, USA
J Clin Oncol 20:3317-27. 2002..POTENTIAL INTERVENTIONS: Anastrozole, letrozole, and exemestane...