Affiliation: McMaster University
- Vitamin D3 and gargling for the prevention of upper respiratory tract infections: a randomized controlled trialEmma C Goodall
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
BMC Infect Dis 14:273. 2014....
- Trends and determining factors associated with adherence to antiretroviral therapy (ART) in Cameroon: a systematic review and analysis of the CAMPS trialLawrence Mbuagbaw
Centre for Development of Best Practices in Health CDBPH, Yaounde Central Hospital, Avenue Henri Dunant, Messa, PO Box 87, Yaounde, Cameroon
AIDS Res Ther 9:37. 2012..abstract:..
- Vaccination against 2009 pandemic H1N1 in a population dynamical model of Vancouver, Canada: timing is everythingJessica M Conway
Division of Mathematical Modeling, University of British Columbia Centre for Disease Control, 655 West 12th Avenue, V5Z 4R4 Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
BMC Public Health 11:932. 2011..We adapted a city-level contact network model to study different campaigns on influenza morbidity and mortality...
- Lack of association between vascular dementia and Chlamydia pneumoniae infection: a case-control studySoo Chan Carusone
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, 1200 Main St W, L8N 3Z5 Hamilton, Canada
BMC Neurol 4:15. 2004..pneumoniae may play a role in vascular dementia. The objective of this study was to determine if there was an association between serological evidence of C. pneumoniae infection or inflammatory markers with vascular dementia...
- Regional differences in rates of HIV-1 viral load monitoring in Canada: Insights and implications for antiretroviral care in high income countriesJanet M Raboud
Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
BMC Infect Dis 10:40. 2010....
- Digital clubbing in tuberculosis--relationship to HIV infection, extent of disease and hypoalbuminemiaHenry Ddungu
Department of Medicine, Makerere University and Mulago Hospital, Kampala, Uganda
BMC Infect Dis 6:45. 2006..The prevalence of clubbing in patients with pulmonary TB and its association with Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), severity of disease, and nutritional status was assessed...
- A comparison of the MOS-HIV and SF-12v2 for measuring health-related quality of life of men and women living with HIV/AIDSAllyson Ion
Health Research Methodology Program, Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Faculty of Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
AIDS Res Ther 8:5. 2011..abstract:..
- Comparison of brachial and carotid artery ultrasound for assessing extent of subclinical atherosclerosis in HIV: a prospective cohort studyAdefowope Odueyungbo
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton ON, Canada
AIDS Res Ther 6:11. 2009..CONCLUSION: IMT correlates better than FMD with established cardiovascular risk factors in this cohort of HIV patients. Standardization of protocols for FMD and IMT will facilitate the comparison of results across studies...
- Effect of smoking on lung function, respiratory symptoms and respiratory diseases amongst HIV-positive subjects: a cross-sectional studyQu Cui
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, 1200 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON L8N 3Z5, Canada
AIDS Res Ther 7:6. 2010..Effective smoking cessation strategies are required for HIV-positive subjects...
- Association of circulating Chlamydia pneumoniae DNA with cardiovascular disease: a systematic reviewMarek Smieja
Dept of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton ON, Canada
BMC Infect Dis 2:21. 2002..We performed a systematic review to determine whether the detection of C. pneumoniae DNA in peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC) was associated with CV disease...
- Circulating nucleic acids of Chlamydia pneumoniae and cytomegalovirus in patients undergoing coronary angiographyM Smieja
Hamilton Regional Laboratory Medicine Programme, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 39:596-600. 2001..Neither C. pneumoniae nor CMV DNA detection increased after angioplasty, a procedure in which endothelium is disrupted. Larger prospective studies are needed to determine the prognostic significance of DNA detection...
- Development and evaluation of a flocked nasal midturbinate swab for self-collection in respiratory virus infection diagnostic testingMarek Smieja
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 48:3340-2. 2010..Specific viruses were detected in swabs self-collected by 42/108 (38.9%) symptomatic volunteers by multiplex PCR...
- Replicate PCR testing and probit analysis for detection and quantitation of Chlamydia pneumoniae in clinical specimensM Smieja
Hamilton Regional Laboratory Medicine Programme, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 39:1796-801. 2001..Due to sampling variability, PCR tests done without replication may miss a large proportion of positive specimens, particularly for specimens with small amounts of target C. pneumoniae DNA present...
- Randomised, blinded, placebo controlled trial of doxycycline for chronic seronegative arthritisM Smieja
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Ann Rheum Dis 60:1088-94. 2001..To determine whether long term doxycycline improves symptoms in patients with chronic seronegative or reactive arthritis...
- Smoking, season, and detection of Chlamydia pneumoniae DNA in clinically stable COPD patientsMarek Smieja
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, St Joseph s Healthcare and McMaster University, Hamilton ON Canada
BMC Infect Dis 2:12. 2002..The prevalence and role of Chlamydia pneumoniae in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) remain unclear, and molecular methods of detection may help clarify this relationship...
- Comparison of three assays for detection of Chlamydia trachomatis and Neisseria gonorrhoeae in SurePath Pap samples and the role of pre- and postcytology testingM Chernesky
St Joseph s Healthcare McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 50:1281-4. 2012..trachomatis and N. gonorrhoeae in L-Pap samples. C. trachomatis testing can be performed with similar results on pre- and postcytology SurePath samples...
- Previous exposure to Chlamydia pneumoniae, Helicobacter pylori and other infections in Canadian patients with ischemic heart diseaseM Smieja
St Joseph's Hospital, Hamilton, Canada
Can J Cardiol 17:270-6. 2001..A prospective validation of this association is needed...
- Analytical sensitivity, reproducibility of results, and clinical performance of five PCR assays for detecting Chlamydia pneumoniae DNA in peripheral blood mononuclear cellsJ B Mahony
Hamilton Regional Laboratory Medicine Program, St Joseph s Hospital, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 38:2622-7. 2000..pneumoniae in clinical material...
- Abilities of APTIMA, AMPLICOR, and ProbeTec assays to detect Chlamydia trachomatis and Neisseria gonorrhoeae in PreservCyt ThinPrep Liquid-based Pap samplesM Chernesky
St Joseph s Healthcare McMaster University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 45:2355-8. 2007..001). The APTIMA assays were more sensitive and specific than AMP or PT for detecting women's C. trachomatis and/or N. gonorrhoeae infections by testing ThinPrep samples...
- Detection of Neisseria gonorrhoeae and Chlamydia trachomatis in pharyngeal and rectal specimens using the BD Probetec ET system, the Gen-Probe Aptima Combo 2 assay and cultureK V Ota
Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Sex Transm Infect 85:182-6. 2009....
- The outcome and long-term follow-up of 94 patients with recurrent and refractory Clostridium difficile infection using single to multiple fecal microbiota transplantation via retention enemaC H Lee
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, McMaster University, St Joseph s Healthcare, 50 Charlton Avenue East, 424 Luke Wing, Hamilton, ON, L8N 4A6, Canada
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 33:1425-8. 2014..Multiple FMTs administered through enemas is an effective, safe, and simple therapy for the management of recurrent or refractory CDI. ..
- Multicenter comparison of nucleic acid extraction methods for detection of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus RNA in stool specimensA Petrich
St Joseph s Healthcare, L424, Microbiology, 50 Charlton Ave East, Hamilton, ON L8N 4A6, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 44:2681-8. 2006..This information could be useful for the extraction of other RNA viruses from stool samples and demonstrates the need to evaluate extraction methods for different specimen types...
- Evaluation and clinical validation of an alcohol-based transport medium for preservation and inactivation of respiratory virusesKathy Luinstra
St Joseph s Healthcare, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 49:2138-42. 2011..These data indicate that an alcohol-based transport medium such as CyMol preserves respiratory virus integrity, rapidly inactivates viruses, and is compatible with PCR-based respiratory diagnostics...
- Detection of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus in stool specimens by commercially available real-time reverse transcriptase PCR assaysL Louie
Department of Microbiology, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, B121 2075 Bayview Ave, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M4N 3M5
J Clin Microbiol 44:4193-6. 2006..The assays were less sensitive when specimens were obtained less than 8 days or more than 21 days after the onset of symptoms. All assays were 100% specific...