Affiliation: McMaster University
- Adverse fetal and neonatal outcomes associated with a life-long high fat diet: role of altered development of the placental vasculatureEmily K Hayes
Department of Pediatrics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 7:e33370. 2012..We propose that the altered placental vasculature may result in reduced oxygenation of the fetal tissues contributing to premature demise and poor neonatal survival...
- Effect of atypical antipsychotics on fetal growth: is the placenta involved?Sandeep Raha
Department of Pediatrics, McMaster University, 1200 Main Street West, Room 3N11, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8N 3Z5
J Pregnancy 2012:315203. 2012..This paper focuses on some possible pathways which may link atypical antipsychotics to placental dysfunction...
- Fetal and neonatal nicotine exposure in Wistar rats causes progressive pancreatic mitochondrial damage and beta cell dysfunctionJennifer E Bruin
Reproductive Biology Division, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 3:e3371. 2008..These results clearly indicate that further investigation into the safety of NRT use during pregnancy is warranted...
- Endurance training modulates intramyocellular lipid compartmentalization and morphology in skeletal muscle of lean and obese womenMichaela C Devries
Departments of Pediatrics and Medicine, McMaster University, Neuromuscular Disease Clinic, Health Sciences Centre, Room 2H26, 1200 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario L8N 3Z5, Canada
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:4852-62. 2013..Endurance training (ET) increases mitochondrial content/activity and IMCL content in young, active men and women. We have previously shown that ET alters the size, number, and physical juxtaposition of IMCLs and mitochondria...
- Aberrant mitochondrial homeostasis in the skeletal muscle of sedentary older adultsAdeel Safdar
Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 5:e10778. 2010....
- Markers of skeletal muscle mitochondrial function and lipid accumulation are moderately associated with the homeostasis model assessment index of insulin resistance in obese menImtiaz A Samjoo
Department of Pediatrics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 8:e66322. 2013..25; P = 0.152). Our findings suggest that once physical activity and cardiorespiratory fitness have been controlled for, skeletal muscle mitochondrial and IMCL profile in obesity may only partially contribute to the development of IR...
- Rosiglitazone improves pancreatic mitochondrial function in an animal model of dysglycemia: role of the insulin-like growth factor axisJennifer E Bruin
Reproductive Biology Division, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Endocrine 37:303-11. 2010..The underlying mechanism through which rosiglitazone targets the mitochondria remains to be determined, but does not appear to involve the IGF axis...
- Caloric restriction shortens lifespan through an increase in lipid peroxidation, inflammation and apoptosis in the G93A mouse, an animal model of ALSBarkha P Patel
School of Kinesiology and Health Science, York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 5:e9386. 2010..Catalase, Bcl-2 and caspases did not differ. We conclude that CR increases lipid peroxidation, inflammation and apoptosis, while decreasing mitochondrial bioenergetic efficiency, protein oxidation and stress response in G93A mice...
- The effect of smoking cessation pharmacotherapies on pancreatic beta cell functionAmanda K Woynillowicz
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8N 3Z5
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 265:122-7. 2012..Therefore whether or not the use of nicotine replacement therapy, varenicline and bupropion can cause endocrine changes which are consistent with impaired pancreatic function warrants further investigation...
- Endurance training without weight loss lowers systemic, but not muscle, oxidative stress with no effect on inflammation in lean and obese womenMichaela C Devries
Department of Pediatrics, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Free Radic Biol Med 45:503-11. 2008..02) in all subjects and CuZnSOD protein content (P=0.04) in obese women, in the absence of changes in body weight or composition. ET without weight loss decreases systemic oxidative stress, but not markers of inflammation, in obese women...
- Trophoblast invasion and blood vessel remodeling are altered in a rat model of lifelong maternal obesityEmily K Hayes
1Department of Pediatrics and the Graduate Program in Medical Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Reprod Sci 21:648-57. 2014..Taken together, the results of this study suggest that altered placental development is an important contributor to the poor pregnancy outcomes and increased fetal demise in our model of lifelong maternal obesity. ..
- Effect of environmental contaminants on Beta cell functionEmilija Makaji
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Int J Toxicol 30:410-8. 2011..These data suggest that long-term BPA exposure may be detrimental to beta cell function and ultimately be an important contributor to the etiology of T2D...
- Fluoxetine-induced pancreatic beta cell dysfunction: New insight into the benefits of folic acid in the treatment of depressionNicole E De Long
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McMaster University, RM HSC 3N52 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8S 4K1
J Affect Disord 166:6-13. 2014..Importantly, the use of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), the most commonly prescribed class of antidepressants, increases the risk of developing T2D. However, the mechanism(s) underlying this association remains elusive...
- Identification of ataxia-associated mtDNA mutations (m.4052T>C and m.9035T>C) and evaluation of their pathogenicity in transmitochondrial cybridsMarianna Sikorska
Neurogenesis and Brain Repair Group M54, Institute for Biological Sciences, National Research Council Canada, 1200 Montreal Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0R6, Canada
Muscle Nerve 40:381-94. 2009..Furthermore, antioxidant therapy might prove helpful in the management of this disease...
- Limb immobilization induces a coordinate down-regulation of mitochondrial and other metabolic pathways in men and womenArkan Abadi
Department of Pediatrics and Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
PLoS ONE 4:e6518. 2009....
- A pediatric perspective on inflammation and oxidative stress in response to exerciseBrian W Timmons
Children s Exercise and Nutrition Centre, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 33:411-9. 2008..This understanding will be particularly relevant for childhood diseases that restrict growth...
- Maternal nicotine exposure increases oxidative stress in the offspringJennifer E Bruin
Reproductive Biology Division, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8N 3Z5
Free Radic Biol Med 44:1919-25. 2008..These data suggest that beta-cell apoptosis in the fetal and neonatal pancreas may be the result of a direct effect of nicotine via its receptor and that this effect may be mediated through increased oxidative stress...