- Brain type carnosinase in dementia: a pilot study
Cynthia M Balion
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Hamilton Health Sciences, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
BMC Neurol 7:38. 2007
..Carnosinase is a dipeptidase found almost exclusively in brain and serum. Carnosinase and its substrate carnosine have been linked to neuropathophysiological processes...
- A randomized trial of mail vs. telephone invitation to a community-based cardiovascular health awareness program for older family practice patients [ISRCTN61739603]
Department of Family Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
BMC Fam Pract 6:35. 2005
- Diagnosis and treatment of dementia: 1. Risk assessment and primary prevention of Alzheimer disease
Division of Geriatric Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ont
CMAJ 178:548-56. 2008
- Effectiveness of cholinesterase inhibitors and memantine for treating dementia: evidence review for a clinical practice guideline
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Ann Intern Med 148:379-97. 2008
..The effectiveness of the 5 U.S. Food and Drug Administration-approved pharmacologic therapies for dementias in achieving clinically relevant improvements is unclear...
- Blood inflammatory markers and risk of dementia: The Conselice Study of Brain Aging
Department of Internal Medicine, Cardioangiology, and Hepatology, University Hospital S Orsola Malpighi, Via Massarenti, 9, 40138 Bologna, Italy
Neurobiol Aging 28:1810-20. 2007
..91; 95%CI, 1.02-3.56) but not VaD risk. Blood inflammatory markers are associated with increased VaD risk but do not predict AD, which seems selectively associated with hyperhomocysteinemia...
- Plasma tocopherols and risk of cognitive impairment in an elderly Italian cohort
Department of Internal Medicine, Cardioangiology, and Hepatology, University Hospital Sant Orsola Malpighi, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Am J Clin Nutr 87:1306-13. 2008
..The most abundant and most investigated form of vitamin E in humans is alpha-tocopherol, but other antioxidant tocopherols (beta, gamma, and delta) exist in nature...
- Development of an easy prognostic score for frailty outcomes in the aged
Department of Internal Medicine, Cardioangiology and Hepatology, University of Bologna, Italy
Age Ageing 37:161-6. 2008
..identification of frailty is recommended in geriatric practice. However, there is a lack of frailty scores combining easy-to-collect predictors from multiple domains...
- Endogenous sex hormones as risk factors for dementia in elderly men and women
Department of Internal Medicine, Cardioangiology, and Hepatology, University Hospital S Orsola, Malpighi, Via Massarenti, 9 40138 Bologna, Italy
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 62:1035-41. 2007
..The associations of endogenous sex hormones with risk of dementia in the elderly population are not well known...
- Apolipoprotein E e4 allele affects risk of hyperhomocysteinemia in the elderly
Department of Internal Medicine, Cardioangiology, and Hepatology, University Hospital S Orsola Malpighi, Bologna, Italy
Am J Clin Nutr 84:1473-80. 2006
..Homocysteine, another risk factor for vascular disease and dementia, also binds to VLDL in blood. However, the association between APOE4 and hyperhomocysteinemia has never been thoroughly investigated...
- Metabolic Syndrome: prevalence and prediction of mortality in elderly individuals
Department of Internal Medicine, Cardioangiology, and Hepatology, University of Bologna, Via Massarenti, 9 40138 Bologna, Italy
Diabetes Care 29:2471-6. 2006
- Translating evidence into practice: the case of dementia guidelines in specialized geriatric services
David L Lewis
Regional Geriatrics Program Central, 88 Maplewood Avenue, Hamilton, ON, L8M 1W9, Canada
Can J Aging 24:251-60. 2005
..Outcomes of the process included a resource manual, a network of practitioners, and action recommendations based upon survey data. An early follow-up evaluation showed increased adoption of guidelines...
- Association of European population levels of thrombotic and inflammatory factors with risk of coronary heart disease: the MONICA Optional Haemostasis Study
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Queen s University of Belfast, UK
Eur Heart J 26:332-42; discussion 317-8. 2005
..We therefore measured thrombotic and inflammatory markers in a substudy of the WHO MONICA project and correlated these with CHD event rates...
- Comparison studies of cholinesterase inhibitors for Alzheimer's disease
David B Hogan
Division of Geriatric Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Lancet Neurol 3:622-6. 2004
..Between 27% and 55% of CONSORT items per study were rated as inadequately reported. The methodological limitations of these studies reduce our confidence in the validity of the conclusions drawn in the published reports...
- Progress in clinical neurosciences: Treatment of Alzheimer's disease and other dementias--review and comparison of the cholinesterase inhibitors
David B Hogan
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary Alberta, Canada
Can J Neurol Sci 29:306-14. 2002
..Acceptance of the cholinergic hypothesis led to a search for medications which could enhance central cholinergic activity in this condition. There are now three cholinesterase inhibitors available for the treatment of AD in Canada...