Jeremy S Paikin
Affiliation: McMaster University
- New antithrombotic agents--insights from clinical trialsJeremy S Paikin
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton General Hospital, 237 Barton Street East, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Nat Rev Cardiol 7:498-509. 2010..In this article, we review these new antithrombotic agents and provide plausible explanations for the results of phase III randomized controlled trials of these drugs...
- Dabigatran for stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation: the RE-LY trialJeremy S Paikin
Hamilton General Hospital, Hamilton, ON, L8L 2X2, Canada
Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 9:279-86. 2011..Based on the results of the RE-LY trial, both the US FDA and Health Canada recently approved dabigatran etexilate for the prevention of stroke and systemic embolism in patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation...
- Rivaroxaban for stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation: a critical review of the ROCKET AF trialJeremy S Paikin
Division of Cardiology, Hamilton General Hospital, McMaster University, 237 Barton St E, Hamilton, ON, L8L 2X2, Canada
Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 10:965-72. 2012..These results, in conjunction with its convenient once-daily dosing regimen, make rivaroxaban an attractive alternative to warfarin for stroke prevention in AF...
- Role of triple antithrombotic therapy in patients with atrial fibrillation and coronary artery stentsJeremy S Paikin
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Med J Aust 192:487-8. 2010..Decisions regarding the use of triple therapy should take into account the balance between thromboembolism and bleeding risk in individual patients...
- Effectiveness and safety of combined antiplatelet and anticoagulant therapy: a critical review of the evidence from randomized controlled trialsJeremy S Paikin
Cardiology Fellow, Hamilton General Hospital, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Blood Rev 25:123-9. 2011..g., atrial fibrillation with at least one additional risk factor for stroke). Randomized trials are urgently required to evaluate the effectiveness and safety of combining antiplatelet and anticoagulant therapy in these settings...
- New oral anticoagulants for stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation: impact of study design, double counting and unexpected findings on interpretation of study results and conclusionsNoel C Chan
Noel C Chan, MBBS, Population Health Research Institute, 237 Barton St E, Hamilton ON L7L 2X2, Canada, Tel 1 905 527 4322 Ext 40520, Fax 1 905 297 3785, E mail
Thromb Haemost 111:798-807. 2014..Finally, we take our re-interpretation of study results and discuss how they might impact clinical practice and anticoagulant choice for patients. ..
- Subtle differences in commercial heparins can have serious consequences for cardiopulmonary bypass patients: A randomized controlled trialKyle A Arsenault
McMaster University Michael G DeGroote School of Medicine, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 144:944-950.e3. 2012..To compare the potency, reversibility, and perioperative bleeding risk of Hepalean with those of PPC heparin...