MARTIN J O'DONNELL
Affiliation: McMaster University
- Cognitive impairment and risk of cardiovascular events and mortalityMartin O'Donnell
Population Health Research Institute, McMaster University, DBCVS Research Institute, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Eur Heart J 33:1777-86. 2012....
- Clinical factors influencing normalization of prothrombin time after stopping warfarin: a retrospective cohort studySam Schulman
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Thromb J 6:15. 2008..We sought to identify easily available clinical characteristics that may influence the rate of normalization of prothrombin time when warfarin is stopped before surgery or invasive procedures...
- The self-perceived role and educational needs of pharmaceutical representatives: a surveyM J O'Donnell
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Henderson Site, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Educ Health (Abingdon) 17:339-45. 2004....
- Urinary sodium and potassium excretion and risk of cardiovascular eventsMARTIN J O'DONNELL
Population Health Research Institute, Hamilton General Hospital, McMaster University, 237 Barton St E, Third Floor, Hamilton, ON, L8L 2X2, Canada
JAMA 306:2229-38. 2011..The precise relationship between sodium and potassium intake and cardiovascular (CV) risk remains uncertain, especially in patients with CV disease...
- Fine particulate air pollution (PM2.5) and the risk of acute ischemic strokeMARTIN J O'DONNELL
National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Epidemiology 22:422-31. 2011..5) may increase the risk of acute ischemic stroke; however, results from prior studies have been inconsistent. We examined this hypothesis using data from a multicenter prospective stroke registry...
- Risk factors for ischaemic and intracerebral haemorrhagic stroke in 22 countries (the INTERSTROKE study): a case-control studyMARTIN J O'DONNELL
Population Health Research Institute, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Lancet 376:112-23. 2010....
- Rationale and design of INTERSTROKE: a global case-control study of risk factors for strokeM O'DONNELL
Population Health Research Group, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON L8L 2X2, Canada
Neuroepidemiology 35:36-44. 2010..Study Significance: An effective global strategy to reduce the risk of stroke mandates systematic measurement of the contribution of the major vascular risk factors within defined ethnic groups and geographical locations...
- Gastrointestinal bleeding after acute ischemic strokeM J O'Donnell
Henderson Research Centre, 70 Wing, Room 220, 711 Concession Street, Hamilton, Ontario, L8V 1C3, Canada
Neurology 71:650-5. 2008..We sought to describe the incidence, risk factors, and association with clinical outcomes of gastrointestinal bleeding following acute ischemic stroke...
- Antiplatelet therapy for secondary prevention of noncardioembolic ischemic stroke: a critical reviewMARTIN J O'DONNELL
McMaster University, Ontario, Canada
Stroke 39:1638-46. 2008....
- Evaluation of a venous-return assist device to treat severe post-thrombotic syndrome (VENOPTS). A randomized controlled trialMARTIN J O'DONNELL
Henderson Research Centre, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Thromb Haemost 99:623-9. 2008..2; SD 6.3) compared to control (15.0; SD 6.1). In conclusion, Venowave appears to be a very promising new therapy for patients with severe PTS, which may be used alone or in combination with graduated compression stockings...
- Brief communication: Preoperative anticoagulant activity after bridging low-molecular-weight heparin for temporary interruption of warfarinMARTIN J O'DONNELL
McMaster University and Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Ann Intern Med 146:184-7. 2007..Preoperative low-molecular-weight heparin (LMWH) is often used when warfarin therapy is interrupted for surgery...
- Preadmission antithrombotic treatment and stroke severity in patients with atrial fibrillation and acute ischaemic stroke: an observational studyMartin O'Donnell
McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Lancet Neurol 5:749-54. 2006....
- Which risk factors are more associated with ischemic stroke than intracerebral hemorrhage in patients with atrial fibrillation?Emer R McGrath
Clinical Research Facility Galway, National University of Ireland, Galway, Galway, Ireland
Stroke 43:2048-54. 2012..We sought to determine the comparative importance of risk factors for ischemic stroke and ICH in patients with acute stroke and atrial fibrillation with particular emphasis on risk factors common to both stroke types...
- The PLAN score: a bedside prediction rule for death and severe disability following acute ischemic strokeMARTIN J O'DONNELL
Health Research Board Clinical Research Facility, Geata an Eolais, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Arch Intern Med 172:1548-56. 2012..We sought to develop and validate a simple clinical prediction rule for death and severe disability after acute ischemic stroke that can be used by general clinicians at the time of hospital admission...
- Validity of composite outcomes in meta-analyses of stroke prevention trials: the case of aspirinEmer McGrath
National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Cerebrovasc Dis 32:22-7. 2011..In this study, we explore whether the summary relative risk reduction for this composite outcome is representative of estimates for each of the individual components of the composite...
- Preventing cardiovascular disease in primary care: role of a national risk factor management programEmer R McGrath
Clinical Research Facility, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Am Heart J 163:714-9. 2012..However, it is not known whether Heartwatch translates into reductions in clinically important CV events...