MARTIN J O'DONNELL
Affiliation: McMaster University
- Chronic pain syndromes after ischemic stroke: PRoFESS trialMARTIN J O'DONNELL
Population Health Research Institute, DBCVS Research Institute, McMaster University, 3rd Floor, 237 Barton St E, Hamilton, Ontario, L8L 2X2, Canada
Stroke 44:1238-43. 2013..In a large cohort with ischemic stroke (Prevention Regimen for Effectively avoiding Second Stroke [PRoFESS] trial), we determined the prevalence, risk factors, and clinical consequence of new poststroke pain syndromes...
- Cognitive impairment and risk of cardiovascular events and mortalityMartin O'Donnell
Population Health Research Institute, McMaster University, DBCVS Research Institute, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Eur Heart J 33:1777-86. 2012....
- Clinical factors influencing normalization of prothrombin time after stopping warfarin: a retrospective cohort studySam Schulman
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Thromb J 6:15. 2008..We sought to identify easily available clinical characteristics that may influence the rate of normalization of prothrombin time when warfarin is stopped before surgery or invasive procedures...
- Urinary sodium and potassium excretion and risk of cardiovascular eventsMARTIN J O'DONNELL
Population Health Research Institute, Hamilton General Hospital, McMaster University, 237 Barton St E, Third Floor, Hamilton, ON, L8L 2X2, Canada
JAMA 306:2229-38. 2011..The precise relationship between sodium and potassium intake and cardiovascular (CV) risk remains uncertain, especially in patients with CV disease...
- Fine particulate air pollution (PM2.5) and the risk of acute ischemic strokeMARTIN J O'DONNELL
National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Epidemiology 22:422-31. 2011..5) may increase the risk of acute ischemic stroke; however, results from prior studies have been inconsistent. We examined this hypothesis using data from a multicenter prospective stroke registry...
- Risk factors for ischaemic and intracerebral haemorrhagic stroke in 22 countries (the INTERSTROKE study): a case-control studyMARTIN J O'DONNELL
Population Health Research Institute, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Lancet 376:112-23. 2010....
- Rationale and design of INTERSTROKE: a global case-control study of risk factors for strokeM O'DONNELL
Population Health Research Group, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON L8L 2X2, Canada
Neuroepidemiology 35:36-44. 2010..Accordingly, a similar epidemiological study is required for stroke, to inform effective population-based strategies to reduce the risk of stroke...
- Gastrointestinal bleeding after acute ischemic strokeM J O'Donnell
Henderson Research Centre, 70 Wing, Room 220, 711 Concession Street, Hamilton, Ontario, L8V 1C3, Canada
Neurology 71:650-5. 2008..We sought to describe the incidence, risk factors, and association with clinical outcomes of gastrointestinal bleeding following acute ischemic stroke...
- Preadmission antithrombotic treatment and stroke severity in patients with atrial fibrillation and acute ischaemic stroke: an observational studyMartin O'Donnell
McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Lancet Neurol 5:749-54. 2006....
- The self-perceived role and educational needs of pharmaceutical representatives: a surveyM J O'Donnell
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Henderson Site, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Educ Health (Abingdon) 17:339-45. 2004....
- Brief communication: Preoperative anticoagulant activity after bridging low-molecular-weight heparin for temporary interruption of warfarinMARTIN J O'DONNELL
McMaster University and Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Ann Intern Med 146:184-7. 2007..Preoperative low-molecular-weight heparin (LMWH) is often used when warfarin therapy is interrupted for surgery...
- Evaluation of a venous-return assist device to treat severe post-thrombotic syndrome (VENOPTS). A randomized controlled trialMARTIN J O'DONNELL
Henderson Research Centre, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Thromb Haemost 99:623-9. 2008..2; SD 6.3) compared to control (15.0; SD 6.1). In conclusion, Venowave appears to be a very promising new therapy for patients with severe PTS, which may be used alone or in combination with graduated compression stockings...
- Antiplatelet therapy for secondary prevention of noncardioembolic ischemic stroke: a critical reviewMARTIN J O'DONNELL
McMaster University, Ontario, Canada
Stroke 39:1638-46. 2008....
- Which risk factors are more associated with ischemic stroke than intracerebral hemorrhage in patients with atrial fibrillation?Emer R McGrath
Clinical Research Facility Galway, National University of Ireland, Galway, Galway, Ireland
Stroke 43:2048-54. 2012..We sought to determine the comparative importance of risk factors for ischemic stroke and ICH in patients with acute stroke and atrial fibrillation with particular emphasis on risk factors common to both stroke types...
- Association of atrial fibrillation with mortality and disability after ischemic strokeEmer R McGrath
HRB Clinical Research Facility Galway, National University of Ireland Galway, Galway, Ireland
Neurology 81:825-32. 2013....
- The PLAN score: a bedside prediction rule for death and severe disability following acute ischemic strokeMARTIN J O'DONNELL
Health Research Board Clinical Research Facility, Geata an Eolais, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Arch Intern Med 172:1548-56. 2012..We sought to develop and validate a simple clinical prediction rule for death and severe disability after acute ischemic stroke that can be used by general clinicians at the time of hospital admission...
- Thyroid replacement therapy and atrial fibrillation in acute ischemic strokeMARTIN J O'DONNELL
Henderson Research Center, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Neurology 67:1714-5. 2006
- Novel oral anticoagulants: a focused review for stroke physiciansEmer R McGrath
National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Int J Stroke 9:71-8. 2014..In this review, we propose pragmatic approaches to dealing with challenging management issues that will face stroke physicians who care for patients with acute stroke in the novel oral anticoagulant era. ..
- The mini-mental state examination, clinical factors, and motor vehicle crash riskPhilip G Joseph
Population Health Research Institute, Hamilton Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Am Geriatr Soc 62:1419-26. 2014..To examine the association between Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE) score and motor vehicle crash (MVC) risk in a large cohort of community-dwelling participants with cardiovascular disease (CVD) or diabetes mellitus...
- Vascular risk factors, cardiovascular disease and functional impairment in community-dwelling adultsMichelle Canavan
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Galway University Hospital, Galway, Ireland
Gerontology 60:212-21. 2014..Older adults report preservation of functional independence as one of the most important constructs of successful ageing. Vascular risk factors may increase the risk of functional impairment due to clinical and subclinical vascular disease...
- Embolic strokes of undetermined source: the case for a new clinical constructRobert G Hart
McMaster University and Population Health Research Institute, Hamilton, ON, Canada Electronic address
Lancet Neurol 13:429-38. 2014..Randomised trials testing direct-acting oral anticoagulants for secondary prevention of embolic strokes of undetermined source are warranted. ..
- The population risks of dietary salt excess are exaggeratedAndrew Mente
Population Health Research Institute, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada Electronic address
Can J Cardiol 30:507-12. 2014..Therefore, until new evidence emerges, the optimal range of sodium consumption should be considered to be between 3 and 6 g/d. Population-wide sodium reduction is not justified in countries such as Canada. ..
- Validity of composite outcomes in meta-analyses of stroke prevention trials: the case of aspirinEmer McGrath
National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Cerebrovasc Dis 32:22-7. 2011..In this study, we explore whether the summary relative risk reduction for this composite outcome is representative of estimates for each of the individual components of the composite...
- Validation and comparison of three formulae to estimate sodium and potassium excretion from a single morning fasting urine compared to 24-h measures in 11 countriesAndrew Mente
aPopulation Health Research Institute, Hamilton Health Sciences bDepartment of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics cDepartment of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada dHRB Clinical Research Facility, NUI Galway, Galway, Ireland eQuebec Heart Institute, Hospital Laval, Ste Foy, Québec fDepartment of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario gFaculty of Health Sciences, Simon Fraser University and Division of Cardiology, Providence Healthcare, Vancouver, British Columbia hDepartment of Laboratory Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton iScience Integration Division, Public Health Agency of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada jNational Centre for Cardiovascular Diseases, Cardiovascular Institute and Fuwai Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing, China kMarmara University Faculty of Health Sciences, Department of Health Management lYeditepe University Medical Faculty, Department of Family Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey mSt John s Medical College and Research Institute, Bangalore, India nHatta Hospital, Dubai Health Authority, Dubai, United Arab Emirates oFundacion Oftalmologica de Santander FOSCAL, Floridablanca Santander, Colombia pDante Pazzanese Institute of Cardiology
J Hypertens 32:1005-14; discussion 1015. 2014..We compared estimates of 24-h sodium and potassium excretion from a single morning fasting urine (MFU) using three different formulae in healthy individuals...
- Methotrexate and lung disease in rheumatoid arthritis: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsRichard Conway
Galway University Hospitals, Merlin Park, Galway, Ireland
Arthritis Rheumatol 66:803-12. 2014..The aim of this study was to evaluate the relative risk (RR) of pulmonary disease among patients with RA treated with methotrexate...
- Preventing cardiovascular disease in primary care: role of a national risk factor management programEmer R McGrath
Clinical Research Facility, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Am Heart J 163:714-9. 2012..However, it is not known whether Heartwatch translates into reductions in clinically important CV events...