Affiliation: McMaster University
- Douketis J, Gu C, Schulman S, Ghirarduzzi A, Pengo V, Prandoni P. The risk for fatal pulmonary embolism after discontinuing anticoagulant therapy for venous thromboembolism. Ann Intern Med. 2007;147:766-74 pubmed..The case-fatality rate for death from recurrent PE is 4% to 9%. This information helps to inform patient prognosis and may assist clinicians in deciding whether to discontinue anticoagulant therapy for VTE. ..
- Douketis J, Cook D, Meade M, Guyatt G, Geerts W, Skrobik Y, et al. Prophylaxis against deep vein thrombosis in critically ill patients with severe renal insufficiency with the low-molecular-weight heparin dalteparin: an assessment of safety and pharmacodynamics: the DIRECT study. Arch Intern Med. 2008;168:1805-12 pubmed publisher..clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00138099. ..
- Douketis J. Pharmacologic properties of the new oral anticoagulants: a clinician-oriented review with a focus on perioperative management. Curr Pharm Des. 2010;16:3436-41 pubmed....
- Douketis J, Tosetto A, Marcucci M, Baglin T, Cushman M, Eichinger S, et al. Patient-level meta-analysis: effect of measurement timing, threshold, and patient age on ability of D-dimer testing to assess recurrence risk after unprovoked venous thromboembolism. Ann Intern Med. 2010;153:523-31 pubmed publisher....
- Douketis J, Tosetto A, Marcucci M, Baglin T, Cosmi B, Cushman M, et al. Risk of recurrence after venous thromboembolism in men and women: patient level meta-analysis. BMJ. 2011;342:d813 pubmed publisher..Indefinite anticoagulation may be given greater consideration in men than in women after a first venous thromboembolism. ..
- Douketis J, Healey J, Brueckmann M, Fraessdorf M, Spyropoulos A, Wallentin L, et al. Urgent surgery or procedures in patients taking dabigatran or warfarin: Analysis of perioperative outcomes from the RE-LY trial. Thromb Res. 2016;139:77-81 pubmed publisher....
- Coyle K, Carrier M, Lazo Langner A, Shivakumar S, Zarychanski R, Tagalakis V, et al. Cost effectiveness of the addition of a comprehensive CT scan to the abdomen and pelvis for the detection of cancer after unprovoked venous thromboembolism. Thromb Res. 2017;151:67-71 pubmed publisher..The addition of a comprehensive CT scan of the abdomen/pelvis for the screening of occult cancer in patients with unprovoked VTE is not cost effective, as it is both more costly and not more effective in detecting occult cancer. ..
- Douketis J, Healey J, Brueckmann M, Eikelboom J, Ezekowitz M, Fraessdorf M, et al. Perioperative bridging anticoagulation during dabigatran or warfarin interruption among patients who had an elective surgery or procedure. Substudy of the RE-LY trial. Thromb Haemost. 2015;113:625-32 pubmed publisher....
- Douketis J. The 2016 American College of Chest Physicians treatment guidelines for venous thromboembolism: a review and critical appraisal. Intern Emerg Med. 2016;11:1031-1035 pubmed....