J B Mahony
Affiliation: McMaster University
- Mahony J. Detection of respiratory viruses by molecular methods. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2008;21:716-47 pubmed publisher....
- Mahony J, Petrich A, Smieja M. Molecular diagnosis of respiratory virus infections. Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci. 2011;48:217-49 pubmed publisher..These resistance assays, together with viral load assays, will enable clinical laboratories to provide physicians with new and important information for optimal treatment of respiratory virus infections. ..
- Mahony J, Song X, Chong S, Faught M, Salonga T, Kapala J. Evaluation of the NucliSens Basic Kit for detection of Chlamydia trachomatis and Neisseria gonorrhoeae in genital tract specimens using nucleic acid sequence-based amplification of 16S rRNA. J Clin Microbiol. 2001;39:1429-35 pubmed..gonorrhoeae and C. trachomatis, using a multiplex NASBA assay using primers for both bacteria. The NucliSens Basic Kit offers a versatile platform for the development of sensitive RNA detection assays for sexually transmitted diseases. ..
- Mahony J, Chong S, Bulir D, Ruyter A, Mwawasi K, Waltho D. Development of a sensitive loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay that provides specimen-to-result diagnosis of respiratory syncytial virus infection in 30 minutes. J Clin Microbiol. 2013;51:2696-701 pubmed publisher..In summary, the M-LAMP assay had excellent sensitivity and specificity for detecting RSV A and B in NP specimens and, when coupled with a rapid specimen preparation method, could provide a specimen-to-result diagnosis time of 30 min. ..
- Bulir D, Waltho D, Stone C, Liang S, Chiang C, Mwawasi K, et al. Chlamydia Outer Protein (Cop) B from Chlamydia pneumoniae possesses characteristic features of a type III secretion (T3S) translocator protein. BMC Microbiol. 2015;15:163 pubmed publisher..Together, these results support that CopB plays the role of a hydrophobic translocator. ..
- Bulir D, Liang S, Lee A, Chong S, Simms E, Stone C, et al. Immunization with chlamydial type III secretion antigens reduces vaginal shedding and prevents fallopian tube pathology following live C. muridarum challenge. Vaccine. 2016;34:3979-85 pubmed publisher..5% compared to control mice. Together, these results suggest that highly conserved proteins of the chlamydial T3SS may represent good candidates for a Chlamydia vaccine. ..