A M Holbrook
Affiliation: McMaster University
- Systematic overview of warfarin and its drug and food interactionsAnne M Holbrook
Centre for Evaluation of Medicines, St Joseph s Healthcare, Hamilton, Ontario
Arch Intern Med 165:1095-106. 2005..Drug and food interactions are frequently cited as causes of adverse events with warfarin. We provide an updated systematic overview of the quality, clinical effect, and importance of these reported interactions...
- Are brand-name and generic warfarin interchangeable? A survey of Ontario patients and physiciansJennifer A Pereira
Centre for Evaluation of Medicines, St Joseph s Healthcare, Hamilton, ON
Can J Clin Pharmacol 12:e229-39. 2005..The issue of therapeutic equivalence has been a source of controversy in Canada since the approval of generic warfarin products in 2000...
- Influence of decision aids on patient preferences for anticoagulant therapy: a randomized trialAnne Holbrook
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Centre for Evaluation of Medicines, McMaster University, St Joseph s Healthcare, Hamilton, Ont
CMAJ 176:1583-7. 2007..Important features such as the format of decision aids and their graphic presentation of data on benefits and harms of treatment options have not been well studied...
- A comprehensive appropriateness of prescribing questionnaire was validated by nominal consensus groupAnne M Holbrook
Centre for Evaluation of Medicines, St Joseph s Healthcare, McMaster University, 105 Main Street East, P1, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8N 1G6
J Clin Epidemiol 60:1022-8. 2007..To develop and validate a comprehensive Appropriateness of Prescribing Evaluation Questionnaire (APEQ) suitable for human and computer use...
- Features predicting the success of computerized decision support for prescribing: a systematic review of randomized controlled trialsBrent Mollon
The Centre for Evaluation of Medicines, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 9:11. 2009..We conducted a systematic review to evaluate whether certain features of prescribing decision support systems (RxCDSS) predict successful implementation, change in provider behaviour, and change in patient outcomes...
- Evidence-based management of anticoagulant therapy: Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice GuidelinesAnne Holbrook
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Chest 141:e152S-84S. 2012..This article focuses on the common important management questions for which, at a minimum, low-quality published evidence is available to guide best practices...
- Computerized clinical decision support systems for drug prescribing and management: a decision-maker-researcher partnership systematic reviewBrian J Hemens
Health Information Research Unit, Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Implement Sci 6:89. 2011..We also sought to identify system and study characteristics that predicted benefit...
- Comparing methods to estimate treatment effects on a continuous outcome in multicentre randomized controlled trials: a simulation studyRong Chu
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Health Sciences Centre, Room 2C7, 1200 Main Street West, Hamilton ON, L8N 3Z5, Canada
BMC Med Res Methodol 11:21. 2011..Our objective was to investigate the properties of commonly used statistical models at various levels of clustering in the context of multicentre RCTs...
- Individualized electronic decision support and reminders to improve diabetes care in the community: COMPETE II randomized trialAnne Holbrook
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, McMaster University, Hamilton ON
CMAJ 181:37-44. 2009..However, it has rarely been tested in community-based primary care...
- Statin-associated rhabdomyolysis: is there a dose-response relationship?Anne Holbrook
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Can J Cardiol 27:146-51. 2011..The dose relationship with these adverse events is unclear. We present an original analysis of Canadian and US case reports of statin-associated rhabdomyolysis with a focus on dose response. A typical clinical case is also summarized...
- Shared electronic vascular risk decision support in primary care: Computerization of Medical Practices for the Enhancement of Therapeutic Effectiveness (COMPETE III) randomized trialAnne Holbrook
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 105 Main Street E, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Arch Intern Med 171:1736-44. 2011..However, very few high-quality studies are set in routine, community-based clinical care, and no consistent evidence of an effect on patient outcomes has been found...
- Innovation and placebos in research: a new design of clinical trialAnne Holbrook
Centre for Evaluation of Medicines, St Joseph s Healthcare, Hamilton, L8N 1G6, Ontario, Canada
Lancet 362:2036-7. 2003
- Applying methodology to electronic medical record selectionAnne Holbrook
Centre for Evaluation of Medicines, St Joseph s Hospital, 105 Main Street East, Level P1, Hamilton, Ont, Canada L8N 1G6
Int J Med Inform 71:43-50. 2003....
- Meta-analysis of benzodiazepine use in the treatment of insomniaA M Holbrook
Centre for Evaluation of Medicines, St Joseph s Hospital, Hamilton, Ont
CMAJ 162:225-33. 2000..To systematically review the benefits and risks associated with the use of benzodiazepines to treat insomnia in adults...
- The diagnosis and management of insomnia in clinical practice: a practical evidence-based approachA M Holbrook
Centre for Evaluation of Medicines, St Joseph s Hospital, Hamilton, Ont
CMAJ 162:216-20. 2000..Given the importance of sleep for health and normal daily functioning the diagnosis, prognosis and treatment of insomnia should be a research priority...
- Drug interactions among commonly used medications. Chart simplifies data from critical literature reviewN R Crowther
University of Toronto
Can Fam Physician 43:1972-6, 1979-81. 1997..To simplify risk assessment, we have developed a way to present critically appraised drug interaction information through a chart...
- Impact of reference-based pricing of nitrates on the use and costs of anti-anginal drugsP V Grootendorst
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, and Centre for Evaluation of Medicines, St Joseph s Hospital, Hamilton, Ont
CMAJ 165:1011-9. 2001..We estimated the effect of reference-based pricing of nitrate drugs used for long-term prophylaxis on prescribing of and expenditures on nitrates and other anti-anginal drugs dispensed to senior citizens in British Columbia...
- Impact of reference-based pricing for histamine-2 receptor antagonists and restricted access for proton pump inhibitors in British ColumbiaJohn K Marshall
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ont
CMAJ 166:1655-62. 2002..We evaluated the effect of reference-based pricing for H2RAs and special authority for PPIs on dispensing and reimbursement for senior citizen beneficiaries of BC Pharmacare...
- Patients' consent preferences for research uses of information in electronic medical records: interview and survey dataDonald J Willison
Centre for Evaluation of Medicines, McMaster University Faculty of Health Sciences, 105 Main Street East, P1, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8N 1G6
BMJ 326:373. 2003..To assess patients' preferred method of consent for the use of information from electronic medical records for research...
- Interventions to improve medication reconciliation in primary careImaan Bayoumi
Department of Family Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Ann Pharmacother 43:1667-75. 2009..To systematically review all primary care intervention studies designed to implement medication reconciliation for effects on medication discrepancies, clinical outcomes, and patient knowledge of their medications...
- Dry powder versus intravenous and nebulized gentamicin in cystic fibrosis and bronchiectasis. A pilot studyN R Crowther Labiris
Centre for Evaluation of Medicines, Father Sean O Sullivan Research McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 160:1711-6. 1999..For treatment of Psa infections susceptible to gentamicin, gentamicin administration by DPI appeared to be as efficient as by SVN, despite the delivery of a 7-fold lower dose to the airways...
- A meta-analysis comparing low-molecular-weight heparins with unfractionated heparin in the treatment of venous thromboembolism: examining some unanswered questions regarding location of treatment, product type, and dosing frequencyL R Dolovich
Centre for Evaluation of Medicines, Department of Pharmacy, St Joseph s Hospital, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Arch Intern Med 160:181-8. 2000....
- Developing a Canadian prescribing practices network. Network Development Committee of the Canadian Prescribing Practices Network ProjectA M Holbrook
Centre for Evaluation of Medicines, St Joseph s Hospital, Victoria, BC
CMAJ 154:1325-31. 1996....
- Automated telephone reminder messages can assist electronic diabetes careBrent Mollon
Centre for Evaluation of Medicines, McMaster University, Ontario, Canada
J Telemed Telecare 14:32-6. 2008..The clinical benefits and sustainability of ATRS remain unproven, but our results indicate that an automated reminder system can be effective for providing messages to a large group of older patients with diabetes...
- Are brand-name and generic warfarin interchangeable? Multiple n-of-1 randomized, crossover trialsJennifer A Pereira
Centre for Evaluation of Medicines, St Joseph s Healthcare, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Ann Pharmacother 39:1188-93. 2005..Warfarin is a commonly used anticoagulant in North America. Several generic formulations have been approved, raising concern over the safety and efficacy of these products compared with brand-name Coumadin...
- The impact of reference pricing of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents on the use and costs of analgesic drugsPaul V Grootendorst
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, ON, Canada
Health Serv Res 40:1297-317. 2005..To estimate the effect of reference pricing (RP) of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) on drug subsidy program and beneficiary expenditures on analgesic drugs...