Affiliation: McMaster University
- ACE inhibitors in heart failure: what more do we need to know?Catherine Demers
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Am J Cardiovasc Drugs 5:351-9. 2005..Although the use of ACE inhibitors may be appealing in patients with HF and preserved LV systolic function, there is currently no evidence from large clinical trials to support this...
- Impact of candesartan on nonfatal myocardial infarction and cardiovascular death in patients with heart failureCatherine Demers
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
JAMA 294:1794-8. 2005..Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors reduce the risk of myocardial infarction (MI), but it is not known whether angiotensin receptor blockers have the same effect...
- The role of angiotensin II receptor blockers in the treatment of heart failure patientsMichael Theal
Hamilton Health Sciences Corporation General Division, McMaster University, 237 Barton Street East, Hamilton, Ontario L8L 2X2, Canada
Congest Heart Fail 9:29-34. 2003..The results from further studies are awaited to clarify the role of ARBs in the treatment of heart failure...
- Screening for cognitive deficits using the Montreal cognitive assessment tool in outpatients ≥65 years of age with heart failureKaren Harkness
Faculty of Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Am J Cardiol 107:1203-7. 2011..Future studies need to determine if the MoCA can identify the presence of CI that is predictive of adverse clinical outcomes in the HF population...
- Plasma matrix metalloproteinase-9 level is correlated with left ventricular volumes and ejection fraction in patients with heart failureAndrew T Yan
Heart and Stroke Richard Lewar Centre of Excellence, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Card Fail 12:514-9. 2006..We hypothesized that increased plasma MMP levels correlate with increased left ventricular (LV) volumes and reduced LV ejection fraction (LVEF) in patients with HF...
- Effectiveness of comprehensive disease management programmes in improving clinical outcomes in heart failure patients. A meta-analysisRosa Roccaforte
Population Health Research Institute, McMaster University, and Hamilton Health Sciences, Ontario, Canada
Eur J Heart Fail 7:1133-44. 2005..Disease management programmes (DMP) have been advocated to improve long term outcomes of heart failure (HF) patients...
- Angiotensin receptor blockers in heart failure: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsPhilip Jong
Heart and Stroke Richard Lewar Centre of Excellence, Division of Cardiology, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
J Am Coll Cardiol 39:463-70. 2002..We sought to determine the effect of angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) on mortality and hospitalization in patients with heart failure (HF)...
- Growth hormone therapy in heart failure: where are we now?Catherine Demers
Hamilton Health Sciences HHS, HHS General Division, Hamilton, Ontario, L8L 2X2 Canada
Congest Heart Fail 9:84-90. 2003..Despite the lack of benefit demonstrated in small, short-term, randomized clinical trials, further studies are needed to assess the potential role of this adjuvant therapy in heart failure patients...
- Living and dying with heart failure in long-term care: experiences of residents and their family membersSharon Kaasalainen
Associate Professor, Faculty of Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Int J Palliat Nurs 19:375-82. 2013..The findings from this study contribute to our understanding of residents' and family members' experiences in managing residents' HF in LTC. ..
- Congestive heart failure complicating non-ST segment elevation acute coronary syndrome: incidence, predictors, and clinical outcomesShamir R Mehta
Department of Medicine, Mc Master University, Hamilton Health Sciences, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 83:98-103. 2005..Despite this worse prognosis, patients with ACS developing CHF are less likely to be referred for invasive management...
- Heart failure and cognitive impairment: challenges and opportunitiesGeorge A Heckman
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Clin Interv Aging 2:209-18. 2007..Preliminary evidence suggests that optimal HF therapy in elderly patients may preserve or even improve cognitive function, though the impact on related outcomes remains to be determined...
- Shared electronic vascular risk decision support in primary care: Computerization of Medical Practices for the Enhancement of Therapeutic Effectiveness (COMPETE III) randomized trialAnne Holbrook
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 105 Main Street E, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Arch Intern Med 171:1736-44. 2011..However, very few high-quality studies are set in routine, community-based clinical care, and no consistent evidence of an effect on patient outcomes has been found...
- Growth hormone therapy in heart failure: a novel therapy worthy of further consideration?Catherine Demers
HHS General Division, Hamilton Ontario
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 14:1009-18. 2005..The randomised studies showing benefit consistently used growth hormone every other day. Further studies are needed to assess the potential role of this adjuvant therapy in patients with heart failure...