Affiliation: McMaster University
- Long-term (5 year) safety of bronchial thermoplasty: Asthma Intervention Research (AIR) trialNeil C Thomson
Gartnavel General Hospital, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
BMC Pulm Med 11:8. 2011..Bronchial thermoplasty (BT) is a bronchoscopic procedure that improves asthma control by reducing excess airway smooth muscle. Treated patients have been followed out to 5 years to evaluate long-term safety of this procedure...
- Bronchial thermoplasty for severe asthmaGerard Cox
Firestone Institute for Respiratory Health, St Joseph s Healthcare, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Curr Opin Pulm Med 17:34-8. 2011..the present article will address the potential for bronchial thermoplasty to be used in addition to conventional medications to help us treat our patients with severe asthma...
- Asthma control during the year after bronchial thermoplastyGerard Cox
St Joseph s Healthcare, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
N Engl J Med 356:1327-37. 2007..Bronchial thermoplasty is a bronchoscopic procedure to reduce the mass of airway smooth muscle and attenuate bronchoconstriction. We examined the effect of bronchial thermoplasty on the control of moderate or severe persistent asthma...
- New interventions in asthma including bronchial thermoplastyGerard Cox
McMaster University, Ontario, Hamilton, Canada
Curr Opin Pulm Med 14:77-81. 2008..The challenges of identifying which treatment would best help an individual patient can be addressed by use of noninvasive measurements to define their asthma...
- Bronchial thermoplasty for asthmaGerard Cox
M B, Firestone Institute for Respiratory Health T2123, St Joseph s Healthcare, 50 Charlton Avenue, East Hamilton, ON L8N 4A6, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:965-9. 2006..Bronchial thermoplasty (BT) reduces the potential for smooth muscle-mediated bronchoconstriction by reducing the mass of smooth muscle in the walls of conducting airways...
- Bronchial thermoplastyGerard Cox
Firestone Institute for Respiratory Health, St Joseph s Healthcare Hamilton, 50 Charlton Avenue E, Hamilton, ON L8N 4A6, Canada
Clin Chest Med 31:135-40,Table of Contents. 2010....
- A prospective feasibility study of bronchial thermoplasty in the human airwayJohn D Miller
Division of Thoracic Surgery, St Joseph s Healthcare, 50 Charlton Ave East, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8N 4A6
Chest 127:1999-2006. 2005..Experience with animal studies has enabled development of appropriate reliable equipment, definition of therapeutic parameters, and descriptions of tissue effects of treatment...
- Erratum to: unexpectedly low pulse oximetry measurements associated with variant hemoglobins: a systematic reviewMadeleine Verhovsek
Section of Hematology and Oncology, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Am J Hematol 86:722-5. 2011..The correct diagnosis will help to spare patients from unnecessary investigations and anxiety...
- Effect of air filtration systems on asthma: a systematic review of randomized trialsEllen McDonald
Departments of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Chest 122:1535-42. 2002..To systematically review the evidence of randomized trials evaluating the effects of residential air filtration systems on patients with asthma...
- Unexpectedly low pulse oximetry measurements associated with variant hemoglobins: a systematic reviewMadeleine Verhovsek
Section of Hematology and Oncology, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Am J Hematol 85:882-5. 2010..The correct diagnosis will help to spare patients from unnecessary investigations and anxiety...
- Ciliary beating is depressed in nasal cilia from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease subjectsAsma Yaghi
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Respir Med 106:1139-47. 2012..Pharmacologic agents with different mechanisms of action can increase CBF of COPD cilia. Further investigation of the signalling pathways influencing CBF of COPD cilia is needed...
- Involvement of the neurokinin-2 receptor in airway smooth muscle stretch-activated contractions assessed in perfused intact bovine bronchial segmentsJeremy Mark Hernandez
Firestone Institute for Respiratory Health, St Joseph s Hospital, Room L 314, 50 Charlton Avenue East, Hamilton, ON, Canada L8N4A6
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 327:503-10. 2008....
- Tiotropium in combination with placebo, salmeterol, or fluticasone-salmeterol for treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomized trialShawn D Aaron
The Ottawa Health Research Institute and University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ann Intern Med 146:545-55. 2007..Treatment of moderate or severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) with combinations of inhaled corticosteroids, long-acting beta-agonists, and long-acting anticholinergic bronchodilators is common but unstudied...
- Lung volume reduction surgery vs medical treatment: for patients with advanced emphysemaJohn D Miller
McMaster University, Hamilton Ontarion, Canada
Chest 127:1166-77. 2005..CONCLUSION: Six months after randomization, LVRS produced better palliation than optimal medical therapy in patients with advanced emphysema...
- Cysteinyl leukotrienes promote human airway smooth muscle migrationKrishnan Parameswaran
Asthma Research Group, Firestone Institute for Respiratory Health, St. Joseph's Healthcare, and Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 166:738-42. 2002..The phosphatidylinositol-3 kinase pathway is a key signaling mechanism in the chemotactic migration of ASM cells in response to cysteinyl leukotrienes...
- Safety and efficacy of bronchial thermoplasty in symptomatic, severe asthmaIan D Pavord
Glenfield General Hospital, University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, Groby Road, Leicester LE3 9QP, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 176:1185-91. 2007..Bronchial thermoplasty (BT) is designed to reduce airway smooth muscle and improve asthma control...