Luis H P Braga
Affiliation: McMaster University
- Braga L, D Cruz J, Rickard M, Jegatheeswaran K, Lorenzo A. The Fate of Primary Nonrefluxing Megaureter: A Prospective Outcome Analysis of the Rate of Urinary Tract Infections, Surgical Indications and Time to Resolution. J Urol. 2016;195:1300-5 pubmed publisher..Ureteral diameter 17 mm or greater was significantly associated with a higher rate of surgical intervention. Overall 76% of megaureters resolved during a median followup of 19 months. ..
- McGrath M, Alnaqi A, Braga L. Vesicostomy and Colostomy in a Premature Neonate With Posterior Urethral Valves, Bilateral Dysplastic Kidneys, and High Imperforate Anus: The Challenge of Stoma Placement. Urology. 2016;93:191-3 pubmed publisher..The challenges involving placement of both stomas in a small abdominal wall of a 2200?g premature neonate are discussed. ..
- Braga L, Rickard M, Farrokhyar F, Jegatheeswaran K, Brownrigg N, Li C, et al. Bladder Training Video versus Standard Urotherapy for Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction: A Noninferiority Randomized, Controlled Trial. J Urol. 2017;197:877-884 pubmed publisher..The video allows families to have free access to independently review bladder training concepts as often as necessary. ..
- Braga L, Jegatheeswaran K, McGrath M, Easterbrook B, Rickard M, DeMaria J, et al. Cause and Effect versus Confounding-Is There a True Association between Caudal Blocks and Tubularized Incised Plate Repair Complications?. J Urol. 2017;197:845-851 pubmed publisher..To confirm these findings and provide strong and definitive evidence on this topic a well powered, randomized, controlled trial is clearly required. ..
- Rickard M, Easterbrook B, Kim S, Farrokhyar F, Stein N, Arora S, et al. Six of one, half a dozen of the other: A measure of multidisciplinary inter/intra-rater reliability of the society for fetal urology and urinary tract dilation grading systems for hydronephrosis. J Pediatr Urol. 2017;13:80.e1-80.e5 pubmed publisher..Inter-rater reliability for SFU grades II/III and UTD 2 was low, highlighting the limitations of both classifications in regards to properly segregating moderate HN grades. ..
- Braga L, McGrath M, Farrokhyar F, Jegatheeswaran K, Lorenzo A. Associations of Initial Society for Fetal Urology Grades and Urinary Tract Dilatation Risk Groups with Clinical Outcomes in Patients with Isolated Prenatal Hydronephrosis. J Urol. 2017;197:831-837 pubmed publisher..Use of the new urinary tract dilatation classification should not affect how families of children with isolated hydronephrosis are counseled regarding surgical intervention and the risk of febrile urinary tract infection. ..
- Rickard M, Braga L, Gandhi S, Oliveria J, DeMaria J, Lorenzo A. Comparative Outcome Analysis of Children Who Underwent Pyeloplasty for Ureteropelvic Junction Obstruction Associated With or Without Supranormal Differential Renal Function. Urology. 2017;99:210-214 pubmed publisher..This finding may not reflect true elevated renal function, but rather hyperfiltration in the setting of obstruction, which-if unrecognized as such-could result in postponing an otherwise beneficial surgical intervention. ..
- Rickard M, Braga L, Oliveria J, Romao R, DeMaria J, Lorenzo A. Percent improvement in renal pelvis antero-posterior diameter (PI-APD): Prospective validation and further exploration of cut-off values that predict success after pediatric pyeloplasty supporting safe monitoring with ultrasound alone. J Pediatr Urol. 2016;12:228.e1-6 pubmed publisher..Finally, <20% PI-APD permitted identification of all rUPJO cases. Stratification of patients based in PI-APD is a promising strategy for further minimizing radiation exposure while safely detecting children at risk for rUPJO. ..
- Braga L, McGrath M, Easterbrook B, Jegatheeswaran K, Mauro L, Lorenzo A. Quality of reporting for randomized controlled trials in the hypospadias literature: Where do we stand?. J Pediatr Urol. 2017;13:482.e1-482.e9 pubmed publisher..These findings were consistent with the poor quality of reporting observed in other surgical fields. The current overall quality score in hypospadias literature is suboptimal and efforts must be made to improve quality. ..
- Brownrigg N, Braga L, Rickard M, Farrokhyar F, Easterbrook B, Dekirmendjian A, et al. The impact of a bladder training video versus standard urotherapy on quality of life of children with bladder and bowel dysfunction: A randomized controlled trial. J Pediatr Urol. 2017;13:374.e1-374.e8 pubmed publisher..Quality of life assessment should be considered when evaluating interventions for BBD, as it appears to be an important clinical outcome with which to determine urotherapy success. ..
- Chua M, Gnech M, Ming J, Silangcruz J, Sanger S, Lopes R, et al. Preoperative hormonal stimulation effect on hypospadias repair complications: Meta-analysis of observational versus randomized controlled studies. J Pediatr Urol. 2017;13:470-480 pubmed publisher..Future studies should aim at identifying indicated subgroup of patients that will benefit from it and standardizing the dose and mode of delivery for best clinical result. ..
- Braga L, McGrath M, Farrokhyar F, Jegatheeswaran K, Lorenzo A. Society for Fetal Urology Classification vs Urinary Tract Dilation Grading System for Prognostication in Prenatal Hydronephrosis: A Time to Resolution Analysis. J Urol. 2018;199:1615-1621 pubmed publisher..001). Counseling families regarding time to resolution of prenatal hydronephrosis should remain the same whether using Society for Fetal Urology or Urinary Tract Dilation grading system. ..
- Braga L, Mijovic H, Farrokhyar F, Pemberton J, DeMaria J, Lorenzo A. Antibiotic prophylaxis for urinary tract infections in antenatal hydronephrosis. Pediatrics. 2013;131:e251-61 pubmed publisher..However, there is a paucity of high-level evidence supporting this practice. The goal of this study was to conduct a systematic evaluation to determine the value of CAP in reducing the rate of UTIs in this patient population...