Genomes and Genes
S S Anand
Affiliation: McMaster University
- Does this patient have deep vein thrombosis?S S Anand
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
JAMA 279:1094-9. 1998..To review the validity of the clinical assessment and diagnostic tests in patients with suspected deep vein thrombosis (DVT)...
- Differences in risk factors, atherosclerosis, and cardiovascular disease between ethnic groups in Canada: the Study of Health Assessment and Risk in Ethnic groups (SHARE)S S Anand
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Ontario, Canada
Lancet 356:279-84. 2000..To establish whether this variation can be explained by differences in disease risk factors and subclinical atherosclerosis, we undertook a population-based study of three ethnic groups in Canada: South Asians, Chinese, and Europeans...
- Using ethnicity as a classification variable in health research: perpetuating the myth of biological determinism, serving socio-political agendas, or making valuable contributions to medical sciences?S S Anand
Department of Preventive Cardiology and Therapeutics, Hamilton Civic Hospitals Research Centre, McMaster University, Canada
Ethn Health 4:241-4. 1999....
- Oral anticoagulant therapy in patients with coronary artery disease: a meta-analysisS S Anand
Program of Preventive Cardiology and Therapeutics, Hamilton Civic Hospitals Research Centre, McMaster University, Ontario, Canada
JAMA 282:2058-67. 1999..Despite years of use in coronary artery disease (CAD) and several studies of its effectiveness, the role of oral anticoagulants (OAs) remains controversial...
- Low rates of preventive practices in patients with peripheral vascular diseaseS S Anand
Hamilton Civic Hospitals Research Centre, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
Can J Cardiol 15:1259-63. 1999..Given the scarcity of data on the preventive practice patterns of this high risk patient group, the in-hospital management of patients admitted to hospital for a peripheral vascular intervention was reviewed...
- Recurrent venous thrombosis and heparin therapy: an evaluation of the importance of early activated partial thromboplastin timesS S Anand
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Arch Intern Med 159:2029-32. 1999..The presence of an association between early subtherapeutic activated partial thromboplastin times (aPTTs) and recurrent venous thromboembolism (VTE) remains controversial...
- The Study of Health Assessment and Risk in Ethnic groups (SHARE): rationale and design. The SHARE InvestigatorsS S Anand
Preventive Cardiology and Therapeutics Research Program, Hamilton Civic Hospitals Research Centre, McMaster University, Ontario
Can J Cardiol 14:1349-57. 1998..The relationship between the conventional and emerging risk factors, and atherosclerosis, vascular disease and markers of end-organ damage will be evaluated between and within ethnic groups...
- Long-term oral anticoagulant therapy in patients with unstable angina or suspected non-Q-wave myocardial infarction: organization to assess strategies for ischemic syndromes (OASIS) pilot study resultsS S Anand
From the Preventive Cardiology and Therapeutics Program, Hamilton Civics Hospital Research Centre, and Division of Cardiology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
Circulation 98:1064-70. 1998..We studied the effects of long-term warfarin at 2 intensities in patients with AIS without ST elevation in 2 consecutive randomized controlled studies...
- Risk factors, atherosclerosis, and cardiovascular disease among Aboriginal people in Canada: the Study of Health Assessment and Risk Evaluation in Aboriginal Peoples (SHARE-AP)S S Anand
Preventive Cardiology and Therapeutics Research Program, Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Ontario, L8L 2X2, Hamilton, Canada
Lancet 358:1147-53. 2001..To establish the relative prevalence of risk factors, atherosclerosis, and CVD, we undertook a population-based study among people of Aboriginal and European ancestry in Canada...
- Glucose levels are associated with cardiovascular disease and death in an international cohort of normal glycaemic and dysglycaemic men and women: the EpiDREAM cohort studyS S Anand
Population Health Research Institute, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Eur J Prev Cardiol 19:755-64. 2012..In an international prospective cohort study we assessed the relationship between glucose levels and incident cardiovascular events and death...
- Increased cardiovascular risk after pre-eclampsia in women with dysglycaemiaS D McDonald
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Diabet Med 30:e1-7. 2013..Our objective was to determine if the high risk of cardiovascular disease in women with pre-eclampsia is accounted for by known cardiovascular risk factors including albuminuria...
- Prognostic significance of thrombocytopenia during hirudin and heparin therapy in acute coronary syndrome without ST elevation: Organization to Assess Strategies for Ischemic Syndromes (OASIS-2)studyJ W Eikelboom
Preventive Cardiology and Therapeutics Program, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
Circulation 103:643-50. 2001..The excess of major bleeding in hirudin-treated patients who develop thrombocytopenia suggests that thrombocytopenia may contribute to the increased risk of bleeding observed with hirudin...
- Replication of genetic associations with plasma lipoprotein traits in a multiethnic sampleMatthew B Lanktree
Robarts Research Institute, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
J Lipid Res 50:1487-96. 2009..The findings indicate the potential utility of the Illumina CVD beadchip, but they underscore the need to consider meta-analysis of results from commonly studied clinical or epidemiological samples...
- Comparison of 3 and 6 months of oral anticoagulant therapy after a first episode of proximal deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism and comparison of 6 and 12 weeks of therapy after isolated calf deep vein thrombosis. Pinede L, Ninet J, Duhaut P et alS S Anand
Hamilton General Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Vasc Med 6:269-70. 2001..associated with acceptable recurrence and safety outcomes? Is anticoagulant therapy for 3 months duration for proximal deep vein thrombosis (DVT) or pulmonary embolism (PE) associated with acceptable recurrence and safety outcomes?..
- Anthropometric measures and glucose levels in a large multi-ethnic cohort of individuals at risk of developing type 2 diabetesL de Koning
The Population Health Research Institute, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
Diabetologia 53:1322-30. 2010..We also explored variation in anthropometric associations by sex and ethnicity...
- Guidelines as rationing tools: a qualitative analysis of psychosocial patient selection criteria for cardiac proceduresM K Giacomini
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ont
CMAJ 164:634-40. 2001..The aim of this study was to investigate the terms and justifications for and the meanings of psychosocial patient characteristics used in cardiac procedure guidelines...
- Identifying women with severe angiographic coronary diseaseC Kreatsoulas
McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada
J Intern Med 268:66-74. 2010..To determine sex/gender differences in the distribution of risk factors according to age and identify factors associated with the presence of severe coronary artery disease (CAD)...